1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another AVR-3805 + speaker question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dknorseman, Jan 7, 2005.

1. dknorseman

dknorseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been impressed by the friendliness and willingness to offer advice shown by members of this forum! Therefore, hoping someone may offer me a bit of advice.

I have the Denon AVR-3805 amp and a set old of rubbish sourround speakers. Therefore, looking for something to 'match' the 3805. I was considering KEF 2005.2 but after listening to them I noticed the centre speaker was lifeless. I have later seen on this board similar observations. I'd hate to shell out £800 on the KEFs only to have to replace the centre...

I have narrowed my requirements down to some sort of speaker package. I won't be playing music on the AVR. Strictly movies. I have a satisfying setup for music already in a Morgan Deva + Audiovector M3 system. Despite this I've been toying with the idea of buying some decent rear speakers and subwoofer and moving the M3s from system to system - for a while. That'd leave me without a centre speaker though..

Hope all of this made sense!

Regards

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    It is important that the front three speakers are as tonally similar as possible otherwise when voices and sounds pan across the screen the timbre will change. Unless you can find a centre speaker that matches the main stereo pair I would look elsewhere for a solution.

Tonal matching of the fronts to the rears is recommended but isn't as important as the front three so you could get away with something completely different for the rears.

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    Agree with Ian. However from the demo's that I've experienced, I've found the best results were from setups where all speakers were from the same manufacturer and range. Although, as Ian said, the front 3 are the most important.

Have you considered the Kef Q series? I bought the Q4's; Q6C' Q-compacts and PSW-2500 for £810 from Hi Spek. Much better value for money than the Kef eggs imo.

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    The KEF Q series combo that Tejstar mentions would be a good setup. Another two I'd recommend would be the Acoustic Energy Evo3B package (but speakers are full size) or the Epos ELS5.1 package. Another option would be the Mordaunt Short Genies, these have a dedicated centre, and sound quite good for the price, and your 3805 should drive them well.

5. dknorseman

dknorseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your answers! A matching centre speakers to the Audiovector is too expensive (about £1100). I've read lots of postivite reviews of the Genies but as there is no dealer network where I am (norway) I'd probably have to rely on getting them shipped here without listening first. Will have a listen to the Kef Q series, however !