1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Audio Opinion Thread!

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by WRG, Jun 11, 2005.

1. WRG

WRG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's my dilema. I just purcahsed a DV29, still haven't received my speakers that I ordered last week. I was in the shop yesterday talking to my salesman and I mentioned that I wondered if they would be giving any breaks on the CD33 when the CD36 gets to the stores...he replied, Nahhh, you don't need that, what for? The DV29 will play CD's just fine, use the money for something else like speakers. Mind you he wasn't trying to sell me anything, actually, he wasn't trying to sell me anything period! I mentioned that I come form old school that dictates you have to have dedicated components for the different sources. I went on to mention that in any electronics the parts that get the most wear are the moving parts, motors, disc drawer mechanisms, etc, these things that I always wanted to get extended warranties for. My thinking was that I'd use the DV29 for double-duty so to speak, DVD/CD and would always be open/closing disc drawer, and the player itself would get used twice as much thus shortening it's life cycle...He said Nahhh, he's had a good player that lasted over 10yrs so far with no problems with both CD/DVD..I left a bit disappointed, I actually wanted him to sell me the CD player :confused: Not taking anything away from him, he's actually a great salesman, and most importantly...I trust him!

But still...the question nags on me, seeing as I just received an insurance check, and I want to know some opinions? If I really need a dedicated CD player would the CD192 fit the bill, I don't really think I need to spend the extra dough for the CD33, I'm not quite sure I could sonically hear the subtle differences, as I'm not that experienced in very good gear. I bought the DV29 mainly for DVD and the superb reviews I've read about the PQ. The reviews also mention that it has very good sound also so that sold me on the 29. Maybe my old thinking concerning new products that can do more than one function with great accuracy is just outdated....any opinions? Thanks

2. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Your thinking is not outdated IMHO.
    The CD 192 , the CD33 and the CD36 are all significantly better than the DV29 at playing CD's (good though it is).
    Get your dealer to let you borrow one for a few days. If the rest of your system is halfway decent then you will be wanting to buy one. (probably the CD33 or 36)

:D

3. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I found while sending it out via audio analogue the cdplayers were much better... but when it came to digital there was a tiny difference. I hardly listen to cds anymore so i have been holding off on that.

Any comments? Digital vs analogue on dvd player vs dedicated cd player?

4. WRG

WRG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. Warpaint, I think I agree with you about the "outdated thinking" issue. My instincts tell me a good product designed to do one particular function can have all the attention, skill, and quality parts dedicated for that item, and is easier to isolate trouble that may occur within that one device. If you have a multitask product, maybe some of the high dedicated quality parts are a bit compromised because of the imense individual detail needed to converge two technologies into one. There has to be a compromise somewhere to keep cost down otherwise it would mean that to combine two products..ie a DV29/CD33 into one piece of hardware, they would have to charge the full retail of both individually.

My thinking is that I will be more suited to just buy the CD192 as a dedicated CD player and be done with it. I'd love to jump to the CD33 or CD36 but I've still yet to complete my Paradigm Signature Series speakers, I need the C3 Center and the rear surrounds. I'll be using my B&W HTM and rear surrounds until I can make the complete paradigm transformation.

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    I concur with Warpaint. I had the CD33 for CD duties and the DV29 for DVD playback. I have since sold my CD33 with the announcement of the CD36 and am still waiting for my new CD36. My points to make are as folllows:

1. The DV29 is not even remotely close as far as cd playback is concerned compared to the CD33T. Thw whole sound is 'far way' sounding and unreal.

2. I borrowed a Marantz DV9500 whilst my CD33 was gone. Not only was the Marantx inferior to the CD33 for CD replay it was significantly inferior for DVD and DVD/A replay as well as CD playback.

3. I have now sold my CD33 for one reason, and that is that the CD36 is a better machine. It has all of the vitality of the Cd33 without the coldness to the sound, is has sparkle and warmth at the same time.

6. WRG

WRG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris, thank you for your imput. I do have a few questions however. It seemed at some points you were very happy with the performance of the CD33 from your past descriptions. From your recent post I gather that you haven't received the CD36 and are still waiting it's arrival, yet you've already sold your CD33. Was this because you demo'd the CD36 and found it superior in what you require for your home/business use? Was it that good? Again, I'm trusting your ears. You basically had me sold on the CD33 based on your opinions/recommendations. I realistically cut a budget for the Arcam products, I would purchase a AVR300, A DV29 and a (unknown) cd player based on these forum reviews and my budget. Now with the introduction of new Arcam CD players I'm not quite sure. I'm beginning to wonder if my ears can actually hear the differences....As I've never heard Arcam products, maybe the CD192 to me will be the greatest thing since sliced bread...

Damn, I wish that I could drop by your shop Chris and hear the things that you describe...

7. mkot2905

mkot2905
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WRG, I have been through a similar process that you describe.

Best advice that I had on this forum was to not rush into buying everything at once. Unless you are already moving from very high quality kit or know what kind of a sound you are looking for the DV29 and AVR300 will sound great for CD. Enjoy it and later you can demo CD192 and CD36 or indeed something else with a baseline to work from. Its easy to get the hifi bug aand just buy buy buy but quite often you will find people on these forums who would "start again" and buy totaly differently if they didnt already have what they have.

I just spent a weekend with a CD36 demo perhaps to replace my CD82 . My wife could not tell the difference and some friends on a short listen prefered CD through a Denon 2900! (Its brighter and has short listen appeal).

The CD36 is great by the way and I will buy it but I swear a couple of years ago I would not have really felt the difference. Its very satisfying this way.

My humble opinion is that beyond a certain budget/quality level, the only opinion that is important is your own as the differences become very subtle and personal.

8. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    I sold the CD33 because I found the CD36 to be superior. Yes it was that good. Do bear in mind though that as a dealer I don't pay full retail price for these things and as such the cost of selling my CD33 and buying the CD36 is negligible.

I cannot reccomend you buy a product purely on my experience with them. Everyone has different ears and differing abiliites to perceive audible differences between equipment. Go and listen for yourself and make your own mind up. I really don't understand why you seem prepared to spend thousands of dollars on equipment without auditioning it at all.

9. batleys

batleys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi - I would be interested to hear how you get on with the 36 compared to the 33. However I couldn't possibly refer to the 33 as having a cold sound, if anything to me its a little warm - but its that subtle warmth that I find makes the music it play sound so enjoyable.

Interested in your comments on the inferior DVD-A playback of other machines compared to the 33.

Simon

10. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    I meant that the Marantz was inferior to the DV29 which I also own for DVD-A playback.

11. WRG

WRG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris...I did audition, but my dealer did not have a CD33 on hand and I'm not sure when the US will get it's shipment of CD36's. John Dawson from Arcam said a shipment of the AVP700's is already on the water to the US but he didn't mention the CD36...I think I'll ask him though. I think with the stuff I've recently purchased I might be able to wait a bit and see if I can strike a deal on a CD33 when the 36's arrive in the dealers.