Another Amp survey....

Aton

Standard Member
OK, this is another take on my earlier thread, but please indulge me ;)
If I up the budget to £6-£700, what can I get ?

I got the impression that the 3-400 quid-ish Amps all have something they're not good at :(

So, give me your opinions on the following;

Best STEREO Amp under £700 ?

I want to hear what the recording Artist wanted us to hear.....

Sniper

Novice Member
anyway - that money seems to be in the region of an NAD C162/C272 combination, an Arcam A90, a Cyrus 6VS or maybe (if you get a deal) a Cyrus 8VS Amp! All good stuff - but you really have to see (hear!) what sound you're looking for & what speakers will they be driving! I'd go home with any of these!

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
go 7oaks (or somewhere that does 0% over 12 months type thing) and up your budget to a grand and get a Musical Fidelity A3.5...heh

once u hit that kind of quality and power, there is no going back....*grins*

will also mean you can upgrade to some pretty potent speakers in future.....(it can power quite demanding bookshelfs on its own, or biamped with another A3.5 could happily power floorstanders worth around £2,000.....but an A5 biamped would do that even better...heh)

however, for the price you mention in the thread, Arcam A80 isnt a bad buy, Primares £750 offering (forgot the model number atm sorry), Roksan Kandy.....all of these are ones i've heard and they all have something very good to give.......with the Kandy if you could do the interest free thing, for £1,000 you get both the Kandy amp and Kandy CD player in a box (usually £1,300 separately)....not a bad deal, very nice sounding, bags of power in the kandy too....can drive floorstanders easily.....

edit: btw, saw your mentioning about hearing what the artist recording it wanted to hear or something.....deffo save up for the MF A3.5 or A5...heh...no word of a lie, just glorious sound.......MF actually went as far as to have a Mozart Clarinet piece recorded for them and pressed on to a disc with their own label which they chuck in free with the A5 (dont think u get it in the A3.5 sadly, might do tho..).....thats how much they care about the sound....(the MF main guy is/was a clarinet player btw...heh)
however you would need to get a nice pair of speakers eventually to make the most of this amp....something along the lines of MA GS10's or upwards.....perhaps B&W 7xx series if you prefer B&W sound to MA.......or ProAc mebbe....etc....

edit edit: just to make you dribble, i'm doing a bit of late night listening here, MF A5 being fed by my 3910 (= to a £400 CD player approx) thru my GR10's.....its at a very low level, well below normal voice volume......and i can still hear most of what there is in the recording.....vocals, strings, drums, bass, piano.......most times at low volumes you'll lose some background vocal harmonies, also the bass guitar will tend to disappear...drums such as kickdrum can get very muted, the snap to midbass can become less noticeable as well....but nope, its more or less all present and correct.......thats what happens when you blow your budget and go to the real hifi level...heh....if you cant do it now, fair do's, but my advice would be to save up more money in that case, then get the super duper amp.....then mebbe in a year or so get the speakers.....patience is a virtue thats usually very well rewarded...heh.....

Aton

Standard Member
I knew it :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Each time I up the budget, someone comes up with a suggestion that just so happens, to be over budget:D

Well, I'm visiting my best mate in London next month, he wants me to listen to his new set-up : MF A5 Amp, A5 CDP and MA reference GS60 :cool:

I promise that, if I'm really bowled over, then maybe I'll give the 3.5 more consideration.

Atm, if I were to fork out 700ish, my first demo would be the Naim Nait 5i, only because of Naim's reputation (I nearly wrote Naim's Name :rolleyes: ) and the fact that I like idiosyncratic design...

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
when you hear your mates setup in London, you gonna be his best ex-mate as you head outta town with his gear in your swag bag.......lol

that is one nice setup he has! altho tell him he should upgrade it to the MF KW 500 amp and KW SACD player....hehe

Aton

Standard Member
Knyght_byte said:
that is one nice setup he has! altho tell him he should upgrade it to the MF KW 500 amp and KW SACD player....hehe

I'll tell him that, just to wind him up :D :devil:
I think he's got his eye on the forthcoming A5 tuner..... Oh, Btw, you've put a bee in my bonnet, with those GR10s, might check them out. I wanted to get floorstanders, Wharfedale Pacific Evo30 or MA RS6, but if I can find a top notch Bookshelf Speaker, I might be tempted (not as bulky).

What's the Bass response like on the GR10 ? Tight, precise ? How looooooow can they goooooooo ?

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
the bass is precise.....which means when its meant to be tight its tight, when its meant to be grumbly its grumbly!

at least with suitable amplification, i found the Arcams and Roksans i tried couldnt do it properly, hence my love of my MF A5 (the 3.5 managed it as well)

as for how low they go, not far off the RS6, and i mean in a real world scenario not just specs on the sheet.......however they dont thump the ground itself obviously due to the lack of dedicated bass driver and extended cabinet......but what you actually hear is low.....

being honest, if i'd listened to these at the same time as when i demoed the Bronze 4/6 and Silver S5/6's a little over 2 years ago i would have plumped for these even tho i was sure i wanted floorstanders!.......eventually i'd have put them at the back once i'd saved up enuff for the 20's or 60's tho....heh......but i now have a full Silver setup for movies so i'll stick with that........eventually i will replace the GR10's with either the 60's or if it takes long enough something else i hear MA might be bringing out in the future (as in top model spec Kef Ref price equivelant...heh).......but this is in the future....thankfully i went for the A5, biamping that i can run most speakers available in the conventional market......(or in other words Wilson Puppy/Slamms are out....heh)

Buckster

Distinguished Member
I've been genuinely surprised and wowed by a 300 pound Qinpu A1.0x.

It knocks the socks off the MF X-80 I had before ...

Mark.

S

Stormuk

Sorry can't help on this one, I will admit that my Poweramp and pre-amp came in at under your budget max.
However I bought them from the guy building them at cost when I was doing a bit of electronic assembly subcontracting and built them myself so I know every soldered joint and component value.

Aton

Standard Member
Buckster said:
I've been genuinely surprised and wowed by a 300 pound Qinpu A1.0x.

It knocks the socks off the MF X-80 I had before ...

Mark.

....I'm starting to think that the MF X-80 may be rather overrated anyway. The Quimpu is an interesting product (looks good too). Where can you buy them ? Where can I find out about specs ? Haven't had much joy on Google......

Aton

Standard Member
...it's me again :D

Is the Musical Fidelity X150 any good ? Does it sound any better than the X 80 ?
I mean, the fact that it's got more clout, might make it sound different with certain Speakers right ?:confused:

Mr Cat

Banned
Aton said:
....I'm starting to think that the MF X-80 may be rather overrated anyway. The Quimpu is an interesting product (looks good too). Where can you buy them ? Where can I find out about specs ? Haven't had much joy on Google......

I think the x-80 is very over rated - I bought it off buckster (think it would be much better than my nad, considering it's worth almost twice the price rrp) - but I sold it on in favour for the nad c270 power amp...:thumbsup:

Aton

Standard Member
MrCat;

Any views on the Rega stuff ?

Don't you usually write in another forum ? ;) I know your a bit of a NAD die-hard :D . The thing I don't like about NAD, is the bulkiness (though I do like the styling ). Why do u like 'em so much ?

I've just noticed that you have a MF DAC, are you happy with that ? Does an external DAC really change the sound of the C521BEE ?

Buckster

Distinguished Member
Hey Mr Cat, other way round :)

I bought it off you :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom