another amp recommendation three

juandv9307

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I just bought the bowers and wilkins 706 s2, and since im pretty new with this, I was just wondering which amp you might recommend under a 1000 usd (possibly stretching to 1500).
I was considering the Rega brio, Cambridge audio cxa60/80 and hotel ra-12.
Im a bit concerned about clipping the speakers by having a low powered amp
thanks in advance

I have had Demo of the Rega Elex-R (The bigger brother of the Brio) and thought that this Amp was excellent, I have a Marantz PM6005 and recently upgraded my speakers to KEF R300 and love this setup. Best thing to do would be to Audition the ones that you like and take speakers with you or get the shop to have this setup for you (Providing they have your speakers).

I have had Demo of the Rega Elex-R (The bigger brother of the Brio) and thought that this Amp was excellent, I have a Marantz PM6005 and recently upgraded my speakers to KEF R300 and love this setup. Best thing to do would be to Audition the ones that you like and take speakers with you or get the shop to have this setup for you (Providing they have your speakers).
problem is I live in a country where this market is inexistent, I have to take advantage every time I go to the us for work, I was thinking about the ELEX aswell, I have to find out a place that has it in NYC.

problem is I live in a country where this market is inexistent, I have to take advantage every time I go to the us for work, I was thinking about the ELEX aswell, I have to find out a place that has it in NYC.

Ah right.

Buying blind can be difficult especially given your situation. The Elex is a quality amplifier and well worth the money IMO. The only reason I don’t have one is because I listened to the Elicit (regas top amp) and got me thinking I need to save for this!

I've looked and found this dealer for Rega in NYC.
inlivingstereo
2 Great Jones Street, New York, NY 10012 | 212.979.1273

Can't get a link to work.

Last edited:
I've looked and found this dealer for Rega in NYC.
inlivingstereo
2 Great Jones Street, New York, NY 10012 | 212.979.1273

Can't get a link to work.
thanks, I was there and they were amazing, I tried the brio with some dynaudio speakers aswell a heed amp that was 1500, but I did like more the rega

Ah right.

Buying blind can be difficult especially given your situation. The Elex is a quality amplifier and well worth the money IMO. The only reason I don’t have one is because I listened to the Elicit (regas top amp) and got me thinking I need to save for this!
I might be better off waiting a bit to try the elex then

I'm using a Rega Elicit-R, 105 watts into 8 ohms. Superb amp.

do you think the 50 wtpc mega brio would be somewhat under powered?

I reckon you would be fine with the Brio but if you were looking to go with Rega i would step up to the elex-r which has 90 watts per channel into 6 Ohms / 72 watts into 8ohms.

As i mentioned earlier though Rotel Amplifiers to pair very nicely with B&W speakers and the A14 is a cracking amplifier.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom