Another Amazon issue... asking ME to contact the police

Basically, Amazon and eBay are writing their own rules and laws for stuff like this and governments are lightyears behind keeping up with them,

Once again, Amazon putting their t&c over consumer law.

I do enjoy their NO LEGAL BASIS threats though like 'cancelling a warranty'. They do believe they are above the law, and they get away with it as no one has the time, money or tenacity to bother.

You guys pretty much nail it.

Amazon making up their own rules that are in contempt of consumer law but the powers that be let it happen.

Do you think that one day, somebody will drag the likes of Amazon to court and stop these practices?

The powers that be encourage it.

You guys pretty much nail it.

Amazon making up their own rules that are in contempt of consumer law but the powers that be let it happen.

Do you think that one day, somebody will drag the likes of Amazon to court and stop these practices?

I doubt it. Amazon are becoming more powerful than governments now.

eBay and PayPal do end up in court a lot, but they generally settle before it gets the courtroom itself. However, if you do make a claim against them, your eBay/Paypal account is quickly banned for life, and any linked accounts along with it (family members, accounts in shared houses etc). This is how they control their exposure of their illegal practices.

I say illegal - the difficult thing is, and what they have realised how to manipulate the situation is that there arent any laws written yet for many of their 'practices'. For example, eBays whole 'refund the buyer for sending a brick back to the seller' policy dosent really have any direct laws to govern it.

So... I ordered a pretty expensive item from Amazon. It was £1000.

It was ordered Saturday and supposed to come yesterday... Sunday.

The item didn't show so I went onto chat only to be told that my bank wouldn't authorise the amount.

I called my credit card company and they said no request had been made?

So I called Amazon and was told it wasn't anything to do with payment. I was told that it was an anti-fraud measure to ensure it was a legitimate order. I was told that the checks necessary could now be done over the phone.

So after all this the item was delivered today. I took the parcel from the driver and signed.

Half an hour later I opened the box only to find a bottle of water inside with some brown paper padding. Upon inspecting the box I now noticed the box had been opened previously and re-sealed with clear tape.

I took photos.

I immediately went onto chat.

I explained the situation and was passed onto someone who was an 'expert.'

Once again I explained.

The 'expert' immediately sent what is obviously a pre-written script. It basically said that Amazon have conducted a detailed investigation and can confirm the item was delivered, signed for. They said the driver confirmed that the box was not damaged.

It then went on to tell me that NO refund or replacement will be issued and it is MY responsibility to report this to the police.

So I asked Amazon to call me.

A different guy called me back and said to ignore all I'd been told and that a replacement would be arriving tomorrow.

I did explain that how can Amazon claim to have carried out a 'detailed' investigation during a 5-minute online chat? They hadn't even asked to see the photo's I took.

The agent was VERY apologetic and told me the previous agent would have to be re-trained.

What is happening with Amazon?

Do they hope customers will just accept liability for an item that has obviously been stolen?

All quite stress inducing

This sounds line a very dubious set of circumstances, and does sound like a crime may well have been committed. You did exactly the right thing in taking the photos and reporting it as soon as possible. Make sure you keep a written timeline, and keep all correspondence.

You should also report it to the police and get a crime number. This may help you with any subsequent claim or proceeding, if you need to go through the small claims court.

I personally wouldn’t spend that sort of money on Amazon, and I as far as possible I only buy goods that are stocked and shipped by Amazon directly.

Make sure you *always* use a credit card, not a debit card. The extra protection this gives you is very important.

Big companies such as Amazon tend to outsource 1st line support to poorly trained home workers, and you will receive very scripted answers. You generally don’t get to the right team until it get escalated - this sounds like what had gone on here.

Regards,

James.

A company is only as good as the workers. That is a scary thought.

72389165_10220983212307815_4210202684734570496_n.jpg

It's a well-known fact that Johnny Foreigners form Amazon hit-squads......... These people have skill levels the average Scouser can only dream of.............

I would appreciate it if you would keep your ignorant stereotype-casting comments to yourself, especially comments that you would be very unlikely to repeat to an average Scouser face-to-face rather than via a keyboard.

Simple research shows that Liverpool isn't even in the top ten of UK cities afflicted by robberies but don't let the facts get in the way of your offensive throw-away lines.......

I would appreciate it if you would keep your ignorant stereotype-casting comments to yourself, especially comments that you would be very unlikely to repeat to an average Scouser face-to-face rather than via a keyboard.

Simple research shows that Liverpool isn't even in the top ten of UK cities afflicted by robberies but don't let the facts get in the way of your offensive throw-away lines.......

calmdown.png

I've got the opposite problem with Amazon at the moment. We have a safe and secure place for parcels to be left. For years we have had no problems at all - if we're not in, the parcels were just left. The location is dry, out of view of the road and covered by a camera.

Now, the last four orders they have delivered to various neighbours (including one which would have even fit through the letterbox)... These were low value items too - nothing exciting.

What makes matters worse is the accuracy of the delivery dates when you place orders. For example last week on Monday I ordered some stuff and explicitly chose my 'Amazon Delivery Day' of Wednesday. But no, they delivered on Tuesday. Then the next order I placed on Thursday confirmed at time of checkout that they would arrive Saturday. But no, they came Friday!

So despite doing all I can to make sure they deliver when I'm in, they don't help themselves...

Well after engaging in this thread, I had my first Amazon 'we delivered to your neighbour' bollocks today!

I was in, all day, well technically in the driveway cleaning my car. Then, just as I was about the do the wheels, the email comes, delivered to 'neib at 21A'. I go and check with Lydia who lives at 21A which I was about ten steps from her front door in full eyesight, and nothing has been delivered today. Any delivery driver has to walk past me to get to either my flat or Lydia or in fact even onto the driveway.

Contacted Amazon, and the usual cut and paste replies of 'we delivered to your address' and then they came up with some classics 'maybe its in your letter box' , 'have you checked outside', 'maybe another neighbour', 'we can see on GPS that the van was right outside your house', 'maybe it will be delivered by 10pm tonight' lol We actually went full circle from it was delivered to your neighbour to it may arrive by 10pm tonight in the same conversation. So what is it Amazon?

Baring in mind this is a £20 order, and this year I've spent in excess of £5k with Amazon and had no returns or complaints or delivery issues and a Prime member of five years AND i have on my account not to deliver to a neighbour.

They said they will investigate and tomorrow will come back to me. Which we all know it'll be 'we have no blame and will not be refunding/replacing' if they do respond, which will start the buttf**k of getting my money back.

New driver the last two deliveries including this, bloody foreigns lol, give me a Scouser anyday.

Last edited:
I go and check with Lydia who lives at 21A which I was about ten steps from her front door in full eyesight, and nothing has been delivered today. Any delivery driver has to walk past me to get to either my flat or Lydia or in fact even onto the driveway.

That Lydia woman at 21A... sounds shady to me o_O

Pics or it didn't happen.

Not used one yet, is it an option on every purchase to use a locker?

Might be one way to avoid such situations..maybe!

shouldn't have to go out of your way to avoid the poor service. you should be getting good service from amazon.

Not used one yet, is it an option on every purchase to use a locker?
No. Obviously item must be small enough to fit and the option must be made available by the vendor.

So, after a few emails and a phone call, with some very accusational language by Amazon, I got a refund for this 'signed by a neighbour' item.

One of the Amazon representatives said to me 'have you ever had this problem before', I replied, no I don't think so, and he said 'are you sure about that', in a very sinister tone. I said, no nothing I can recall and he then proceeded to tell me that in 2016 the same problem happened and 'if it continues to happen we may not want you to be a customer with us'.

So in the last five years I have placed 758 orders with Amazon according to my account history (various health reasons means I rely on home deliveries over the years) and a rough calculation around £15K all mostly Sold by Amazon items, I rarely return anything, and in 2016 apparently the same issue happened with a random delivered to a neighbour which was never delivered to the neighbour. It was a pack of pillows. £19.99.

So Amazon were basically 'threatening me' all over these orders which amount to a grand total of...£40.16.

To be honest, 'Amazon' aren't threatening you, some jumped up idiot good only for keeping a seat warm is threatening you.
I personally wouldn't let it lie, I would write an email to customer services explaining like you have above.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom