Another Amazon issue... asking ME to contact the police

hippo99

Distinguished Member
So, after a few emails and a phone call, with some very accusational language by Amazon, I got a refund for this 'signed by a neighbour' item.

One of the Amazon representatives said to me 'have you ever had this problem before', I replied, no I don't think so, and he said 'are you sure about that', in a very sinister tone. I said, no nothing I can recall and he then proceeded to tell me that in 2016 the same problem happened and 'if it continues to happen we may not want you to be a customer with us'.

So in the last five years I have placed 758 orders with Amazon according to my account history (various health reasons means I rely on home deliveries over the years) and a rough calculation around £15K all mostly Sold by Amazon items, I rarely return anything, and in 2016 apparently the same issue happened with a random delivered to a neighbour which was never delivered to the neighbour. It was a pack of pillows. £19.99.

So Amazon were basically 'threatening me' all over these orders which amount to a grand total of...£40.16.
Wonder what would happen if you emailed what happened directly to Jeff Bezos? If he really is still ‘hands one’ like others have said, surely he would see that scenario the same way we would & think the customer service experience was rather unacceptable.

Gaslight

Wonder what would happen if you emailed what happened directly to Jeff Bezos? If he really is still ‘hands one’ like others have said, surely he would see that scenario the same way we would & think the customer service experience was rather unacceptable.

I might just do that for sh**s and giggles to see what the response is, I will post the reply on the forum.

He , or rather his office, actually sorted a problem out for me before years and years ago after a customer service fiasco regarding very expensive Gibson guitar I bought, but I havent needed to use that option since, so will be worth seeing how they handle it.

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
To be honest, 'Amazon' aren't threatening you, some jumped up idiot good only for keeping a seat warm is threatening you.
I personally wouldn't let it lie, I would write an email to customer services explaining like you have above.

You can rationalise that. I can and @Gaslight can.

Unfortunately there are lots of people out there who will experience what @Gaslight faced and feel genuinely threatened and intimidated. It'll probably make them give up persuing the disputed delivery.

The attitude of the customer service agent must come from the top down.

It's pretty sinister and scarily pervasive.

Gaslight

You can rationalise that. I can and @Gaslight can.

Unfortunately there are lots of people out there who will experience what @Gaslight faced and feel genuinely threatened and intimidated. It'll probably make them give up persuing the disputed delivery.

The attitude of the customer service agent must come from the top down.

It's pretty sinister and scarily pervasive.

Exactly that - I honestly, after experiencing that, thought wtf if something happens with my next delivery and its a high ticket item - are they just gonna call the criminal card if theres an issue?

Its partly why I am debating not emailing Jeffs office, thinking I need to keep that card in reserve for a bigger matter if the time ever came, which is probably likely the way its looking with Amazon now.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Last year I was hitting a brick wall with my issue, they had questioned my returns and were threatening to remove me from Amazon. I spoke to customer services followed by supervisors and they were all telling me that there was nothing to add to the matter. I wrote out a document to customer services, listing every return with the reason, the percentage from my overall order total was tiny, once again they dimissed it.

I sent the same email to Jeff Bezos who in turn passed it onto his executive team apparantly reading the content, things then happened very fast. In total I receieved 3 emails, Jeff's secretary appolgising for the ridiculous service, a customer services executive advising me that it was not good enough and that retraining would be provided to all concerned and finally an email from the same Amazon supervisor who had spent the previous 2 weeks with his fingers in his ears, offering me free Prime and appologising admitting he got it wrong.

It was obvious that sh*t had hit the fan so I'd imagine like @imightbewrong mentioned, somebody got the dreaded ? email.

nvingo

Distinguished Member
Last year I was hitting a brick wall with my issue, they had questioned my returns
I wrote out a document to customer services, listing every return with the reason, the percentage from my overall order total was tiny...
The greater number of items you order, the greater the chance of product or service fault. I'm guessing they write off returns without investigating - so don't have data re:costomer honesty.
But just going by returns per customer isn't the whole picture, you could receive a faulty product on the 1000th purchase or the first one. Or I suppose, the first six, or the last six out of 1000. Like winning the lottery ;)

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
Last year I was hitting a brick wall with my issue, they had questioned my returns and were threatening to remove me from Amazon. I spoke to customer services followed by supervisors and they were all telling me that there was nothing to add to the matter. I wrote out a document to customer services, listing every return with the reason, the percentage from my overall order total was tiny, once again they dimissed it.

I sent the same email to Jeff Bezos who in turn passed it onto his executive team apparantly reading the content, things then happened very fast. In total I receieved 3 emails, Jeff's secretary appolgising for the ridiculous service, a customer services executive advising me that it was not good enough and that retraining would be provided to all concerned and finally an email from the same Amazon supervisor who had spent the previous 2 weeks with his fingers in his ears, offering me free Prime and appologising admitting he got it wrong.

It was obvious that sh*t had hit the fan so I'd imagine like @imightbewrong mentioned, somebody got the dreaded ? email.

Well done.

What I don't get is if the philosophy of Amazon reveals, through their own investigations, that their practices are ridiculous... then why is it happening?

It's obviously not something that's only affecting a few people and is down to a few inexperienced staff.

If the philosophy of Amazon was so strongly customer centric then this would be written into their working practices at a customer contact level.

And it's so often that multiple agents and supervisors stick to the same rigid inflexibility that often goes against established consumer law.

If Jeff Bezos is reading these emails and handing them over to more corporate staff who fire-fight and put things right, then why aren't the practices being overhauled?

I can't believe that a lowly customer service rep suddenly decided to start telling customers they need to stop returning items or they'll be banned from Amazon and that this was then adopted across the company at the lower end of the customer contact scale?

This is how it comes across. That Bezos reads the emails and that he and his immediate underlings have no idea why it's happening.

And yet it, and other practices that fly in the face of law, seem to be ingrained into Amazon customer service now.

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
Customer service comes from the top down so I can only imagine these agents are ruled by performance metrics that drive this sort of behaviour

Otherwise why are they being so difficult nowadays?

Jeff claims he has to pull people up for stuff but it’s the culture set for his employees that drives this behaviour surely?

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Definitely, it is about perceptions instead of practices.

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
Found this YouTube video to prove my point.

So it's taken you a week to find a video to prove your point?

Can't say I was anxiously waiting for this, but hey...

Rather than watch a boring 16-minute video about Amazon returns, can you give the time in the video where your point is proven?

Thanks... :smashin:

Last night my wife phoned Amazon rergarding a mistake they had made with an order, online chat didn't work so she thought she'd phone. First woman she spoke to didn't understand the issue despite my wife explaining clearly several times. She asked for a supervisor and was put on hold whilst they connected her, she put the phone into intercom mode while she waiting. A very rude guy then entered the call who also failed to understand the problem, he was also constantly interrupting her whilst she was trying to help him understand better, she really couldnt get a word in edgeways. She spoke a bit louder to make the point it was important information and he responded with "IF YOU'D JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN WOMAN IT WOULD BE USEFUL" I couldn't quiet believe it, I told her to tell him there would be a complaint made and to hang up on the jumped up little ****. Unreal!

Backspace

He'll be gone quick once you tell the big shots.

Gaslight

Last night my wife phoned Amazon rergarding a mistake they had made with an order, online chat didn't work so she thought she'd phone. First woman she spoke to didn't understand the issue despite my wife explaining clearly several times. She asked for a supervisor and was put on hold whilst they connected her, she put the phone into intercom mode while she waiting. A very rude guy then entered the call who also failed to understand the problem, he was also constantly interrupting her whilst she was trying to help him understand better, she really couldnt get a word in edgeways. She spoke a bit louder to make the point it was important information and he responded with "IF YOU'D JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN WOMAN IT WOULD BE USEFUL" I couldn't quiet believe it, I told her to tell him there would be a complaint made and to hang up on the jumped up little ****. Unreal!

I am convinced they have started to use a lower rent than already the lower rent Asian call centre.

There are different 'tiers' in these call centres, pay more, get better English speakers/understanders, pay less, get worse to the point where they only train to read scripts.

Amazon 'representatives' have distinctly gotten worse in the recent year.

I've just got off the phone with Amazon, annoyingly it was dealt with promptly and correctly as soon as they realised it was a complaint. Lots of appologies and promises that staff would be retrained.

I'm convinced that they are instructed to be as rude as they like as the number of complaints would be minimal, can't believe a company like Amazon can get this so wrong!

Backspace

So far I didn't have any problems like that even on returns and I've bought tons from them.

Retrained... my foot. Most likely canned.

Gaslight

I've just got off the phone with Amazon, annoyingly it was dealt with promptly and correctly as soon as they realised it was a complaint. Lots of appologies and promises that staff would be retrained.

I'm convinced that they are instructed to be as rude as they like as the number of complaints would be minimal, can't believe a company like Amazon can get this so wrong!

I do love their apologies. If you got Ireland call centre, then your complaint will be taken semi-seriously, if you got Asian, they are just telling you what you want to hear.

Email Jeff, then you'll get a proper apology and a gift voucher :)

I believe its fully intentional now Amazon have the controlling market share of e-commerce in this country.

Last edited:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
There is one thing I am interested in that Amazon have (full Babylon 5 box set) but still reluctant to touch them.

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
There is one thing I am interested in that Amazon have (full Babylon 5 box set) but still reluctant to touch them.

Don't let whingers and whiners like me put you off Amazon. They are still pretty good.

It's just been noticeable that policies and practices seem to be changing but it's not become draconian.

I still have plenty of positive experiences with Amazon but who wants to hear about them...???

Gaslight

Don't let whingers and whiners like me put you off Amazon. They are still pretty good.

It's just been noticeable that policies and practices seem to be changing but it's not become draconian.

I still have plenty of positive experiences with Amazon but who wants to hear about them...???

Good stories? Thats NOT what internet forums are for! How dare you bring such ridiculous ideals into public view! Be gone with you!

Thug

So, yesterday I ordered a few things from Amazon (not expensive) and having Prime expected them to come today..
Knowing I would be at work today this isn't an issue as I use my Ring door bell to ask them to put deliveries round the back of my house in the recycling bin (this is a safe place, as its also covered by CCTV).
So, the guy comes and here is the video...

So he ended up leaving it in full view.
Was this me, not explaining myself or him for not understanding me?.

simonblue

Distinguished Member
I just about given up on Amazon,i canceled my prime ages ago,but they keep reinstating it,they lost a parcel,they gave me a refund,the 2 weeks later its up,i agree to keep it,and let them recharge my card,and all got was e.mails from saying could i please sent it back.

:(

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Audeze introduces reference LCD-5 planar magnetic headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Chord Electronics launches Anni desktop amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku announces new Streaming Stick 4K and OS 10.5
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components