1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another alien quadalogy thread

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by monkeyboy69, Jan 11, 2004.

1. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Has anyone else noticed that on Alien there are bits of dialogue missing from the new
    .R2 quadalogy

I was just comparing this box set with the original alien boxset of a couple of years ago
    and in one scene just as the 3 go out looking at the alien spacehsip it leaves ripley inside
    having a chat with ash regarding the alien ship transmission. Ash says mother hasn't
    deciphered it yet and ripley wants to know whether she can have alook at it.

This is missing from the directors cut but is in the theatrical version and the old box set

It seems strange that one pivotical part of the plot is dropped

firstly does anyone know if more bits of dialogue have been dropped and why this was done in
    the first place

Also can anyone confirm whether the R1 set has the full dialogue

2. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think that certain dialogue which was in the cinema release was dropped for the directors cut.

I suppose this is unusual as you normally associate a directors cut with extra footage, but in this case the new cut was intended to tighten things up and keep the action moving quicker - hence certain 'bits' deleted.

I think you are supposed to be able to watch both versions from the new quad box set - by the use of 'seamless branching'.

3. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You have answered your own question - Ridley Scott cut the scene from the new "Director's Cut" version as he felt it slowed down the pace too much...

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Yep it's not called directors cut for nothing, they can remove as well as add stuff. ;)

5. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,176
    The Directors Cut is actually about a min shorter than the original cinema release even though it has new footage, this was mentioned in a number of reviews.