1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another AE300 for the books

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by edz, Jun 5, 2003.

1. edz

edz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Morning all !

Bitten the bullet and ordered from Nexnix on barclaycard last night, now I just have to figure out the best way to get price quotes from go2camcorder etc and find the cheapest / get it to Barclaycard, any advice from those who have done that ?

Thanks guys for all the information that you've posted on your installations they really helped me make the best decision I could.

With that in mind... any chance of a little feedback on these plans, (ahhh always grovel FIRST :laugh: )

I'm lucky in that our lounge is fairly huge (see below) with an 8 foot ceiling but has a great number of windows so what suggestions do people have for black out capable blinds ? Also there is an accessible, (if tricky), loft above the room so cabling/ceiling mounting should be fairly simple to achieve.

We have around 3 possible layouts for the lounge so, once the beastie arrives I plan to check for the best possible layout, position and screen size on an old screen, (home made stretched fabric), measure it, note the location of the projector and then order that size screen and, if ceiling mounting seems the best solution, an approriate unit that can take the cables inside the pole.

I plan to hook up to SKY Digital and DVD via RGB switched at the equipment end with a SCART cable running from the switcher to the projector and a D plug from the PC, (in an ajacent room), to the projectors D plug. This brings up my first two queries, those of you who have hooked up via RGB, where did you source your SCART-SCART cable, (I see lektropacks do a 11m unit that seems to fit the bill), and did you have to remove and resolder the plugs to run the cable or did you run cable then solder the pins afterward ? Also is the projectors SCART capable of taking composite and s-video as well or should I run cables to the projectors S-video and composite terminals as well, (dont want to have to revisit the loft too many times unless I have to)

What are everyones suggestions for a good 16:9 screen that is not horrendously expensive, (my better half wasnt too put off by the cost of the projector but may balk at £800 for an electric screen :rolleyes:

Once again, thanks for all the help, I'll be posting some piccies when everything comes together.

Cheers

Edz

:clap:

2. edz

edz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Lets try that again ...

Attached Files:

3. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    edz,

I bought my AE300 from nexnix for £1700 with my barclaycard and then pricematched with go2camcorder for £1350. I have just received my refund from barclaycard.

The process is fairly simple. If you go to the barclaycard website at

http://www.barclaycard.co.uk/Card_Benefits/Price_Promise/index.html

there is a tel. number to ring. They will ask you for details i.e. the place you bought it from & cost, the place you've found with a cheaper price. They'll give you a reference number for your claim and ask you to send the following details in the post:

1. Photocopy of Invoice from where you purchased the PJ.
    2. Photocopy of Barclaycard statement with the purchase on it.
    3. Details of the cheaper price.

For No. 3 I went to the go2camcorder website and printed out the page with the PJ & price and also their terms & conditions (specifically delivery charges). That seemed to be good enough, I think they check out the website themselves anyway.

Obviously its also a good idea to include a covering letter with the reference number on it. You have to wait for the statement to arrive so if you find it cheaper again (like I did) while you're waiting then you should ring them up and explain. I tried to explain this in the covering letter but that just caused confusion.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your PJ as much as I do. As far as the screen goes, I made my own and am very happy for it as it only cost a bit of my time and £17. If you need a drop-down screen then I've seen recent threads were people have used large blackout roller blinds from John Lewis (about £80 I think) - sounds like a reasonable alternative to an £800 electric job.

Cheers,
    Tony.

4. edz

edz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for the reply, will look into the screen. Only problem with a non electric drop down is blending it into the lounge without it imposibg too much, (when the projector is switched off anyway :D )

Can't wait for it to arrive......

Cheers again

Edz

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Use your refund from Barclaycard towards a nice electric Owl screen. Money well spent and if you're trying to incorporate into a room in daily use it should blend quite well. You could even make a false coving edge in front of it (looks from your plan like a new house - fantastic size lounge btw :) )so you should be able to match coving quite easily.

6. edz

edz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks Messiah, I've floated the opinion with my better half that

"a nice owl screen won't be that much since we'll get money back on the projector" :devil:

..hmm I'll let you know how effective the argument was ;)

I have passed the house comments on to Mrs Edz, not modern house since Mrs Edz prefers the "houses with character", i.e. 2 years changing things around before it is what we wanted.. and we have half of a rather large 1920s house that was split top and bottom, we have the top half which is a very nice size .... and I have the heating bills to prove it :suicide:

Cheers again

Edz

7. edz

edz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Just checked with supplier and the AE300 will be back in stock middle of next week so I will have it for next weekend..

Looks like I've got some cabling to start...

Edz