Another 3D compatability conundrum

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by DelboyWR450, Jan 12, 2012.

1. DelboyWR450

DelboyWR450
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I have a similar issue to mattkhan, except I am sending my hdmi through a Denon 602CI VP. To make things simpler I don't run any audio over the HDMI, and I only watch 1 screen at a time (1 is upstairs)
    I have 10 metre chord silver cables, and when I connect them directly to the PS3 it plays 1080p 3D perfectly, but I can't see any other option than putting in a splitter or possibly a switch (a la mattkhan thread) and running another 10 metre cable to the downstairs screen for 3D viewing.
    I have created a drawing of my current and proposed solutions as attached, can anybody devise a way where I can avoid running the extra 10 metre cable as it has to go through a duct which has a few turns in there, so I know it will be a major headache :eek: :mad:
    At the moment I have to physically unplug the cable from the VP output and put it straight into the PS3 which is a headache all of it's own in a remote AV closet which is in a confined space :(

Thanks, Derek

Attached Files:

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,289
    Is the VP 3D compatible?

Can the VP call up different calibrated memories to suit the two Display devices or can it only be optimised to a single Display?

Joe

3. DelboyWR450

DelboyWR450
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Joe,

Hope you're well, I bought an Octava switcher from you a few years back!! Alas the VP is not 3D compatable, with the Pioneer switched off it will negotiate 1080P with the Panasonic without any problems and I can watch 3D through the Sky box upscaled to 1080P without issues as I guess that is less intensive than the Bluray. I had a look in the instructions to see if there is a "pass through" option but no joy with that either.
    Research on this and other forums suggests I might get away with a standard splitter, either a y-splitter or 2->1 type box as long as the VP is on standby (or powered off via an IR mains socket if absolutely necessary), then the PS3 only sees EDID info from the 3D screen and will then be outputting to it with full 3D capability. I can edit the macro in my remote to switch off the VP if I select the PS3 input so that's not an issue.
    I was looking at this Neet 2 -> 1 splitter box on Amazon, and the seller (Danny) has said I am welcome to try it and if it doesn't work for me just to return it.
    I know you are a resourceful chap, any further thoughts?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet®-SPLITTER-Amplifier-Display-Shipping/dp/B001D9P1OW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3BLRLWQD7BY17&colid=27RO5JMGYQFBB

4. DelboyWR450

DelboyWR450
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I forgot to add.. I am assuming I will have to run the extra 10 metre cable along with the splitter box.
    The ideal solution would involve utilising the existing cable and not running the extra cable.;)

D

5. Jack2012

Jack2012

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Using the nSplitter Pro in the DreamEDID mode to split signal from PS3 you would be able to see 3D on VT30 without switching off the VP.

6. DelboyWR450

DelboyWR450
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jack, the nsplitter looks good, my only concern is that the backup will be poor and if it doesn't work you have to try and send it back to Poland (assuming they will take it back)

Elbox Online Store

Is there any UK stockists? It's twice the price of the other box I was looking at anyway, so would probably give that a try first in any case

7. DelboyWR450

DelboyWR450
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just a quick update to this post, I bought a Cablesson 1x2 switch and tried it out, but no joy. I wouldn't say it's a limitation with the Cablesson splitter as it works well when I configure it how a normal set up would be (that is without trying to chain it).
    In the end I bought a PS3 slim which goes via a now upgraded Arcam AV888/777 to my 3D screen and kept the 40Gb PS3 phat to feed to the video processor for gaming in either room.