Another 32ZP38 Picture Problem - Not DFS Board!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by dr.crippen, Mar 24, 2006.

1. dr.crippen

dr.crippen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a problem with the picture... firstly it freezes and then starts showing only about four frames per second with each frame held in between. Then after a few minutes it starts showing the frames out of sequence, when there is a shot change the picture flickers back and forth between the shots. Then a few minutes later if flickers more and then just displays vertical coloured stripes which occasionally flicker and change colour. Finally it goes dark, if you change channel however the ident appears on the screen as normal.
    I know this is not the DFS / DEF Board (Scan Converter), as I have just replaced it (courtesy of Toshiba, and your advice), and the fault has remained identical.
    If it is left off for a while, it recovers and will sometimes work ok for quite a while, other times the picture break down within minutes.
    Anyone come across this one before?

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Did you personally unsolder/replace the DFS board?

3. dr.crippen

dr.crippen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I did, I am a qualified electronics engineer, I just haven't fixed TVs for the last twenty odd years.
    The board itself is connected with plugs etc., the only soldering requirement is the removal and replacement of the LOPT - which is simple if you have the correct tools, which I have... There has been no risk to the board itself, but there is always the chance (unlikely) that it has been supplied with a fault.
    The board itself is revision B (replacing revision A) so hopefully that at least saves me the risk of failure of this board in the future. It is interesting that the picture is much sharper than it has been for about a year, it seemed to go slightly softer (suddenly) when it was just out of guarantee.
    I am wondering if I have two different faults here, one the DFS Board but failing in a slower fashion than others have found, and another the picture freezing flickering and showing frames out of sequence. Do others with the DFS Board problem find that Teletext and the Channel Ident remain stable when the TV picture behind is breaking up?

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    You have replaced the wrong part...it sounds as though Toshiba have supplied you with a complete deflection pcb pt no PD1009B...which is not the same as/or contains the DFS module which is responsible for your symptoms...it was you describing the transferring/fitting of the lopt which gave the game away.
    The DFS board...or to give it its proper name "Scan Converter Module MDFS03" pt no 23148027 (Quote these details to Tosh)...Location HX01...is a pcb housed in a metal can approx 6x4in and is mounted vertically/soldered to the main Signal pcb pt no PD1007B.
    As a test and to prove the point you can bring on or disturb the symptoms by observing the screen while giving the can a tap with the handle of a screwdriver.

5. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
  6. dr.crippen

dr.crippen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took the Part Number from a previous thread where the replacement of the Scan Converter Module was discussed, however I shall obtain the other part next week and fit it.
    In the meantime the PD1009B replacement has reinstated the picture to what it was when the TV was purchased: about a year ago it suddenly went softer and required a fair amount of adjustment (consumer, not a technical realignment) to reinstate an acceptable picture. Never being 100% sure that this wasn't just the product of someone at home fiddling with it, I just assumed that the picture previously hadn't been quite as good as I had remebered, but this replacement has fixed that. So if anyone is suffering from an unexpected realignment of their picture, which can only be tweaked back to be overall slightly softer than it was before, then it may be a problem with this board.
    Many thanks for the advice, and I hope that this helps anyone else who is having picture problems on the 32ZP38. I must add that I have two other Toshiba sets, one over twenty and one over twenty five years old and both are still working fine, so I can only add that from my experience these faults in a newish set are quite uncharacteristic for Toshiba.

7. dr.crippen

dr.crippen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba supplied the MDFS03 and it is now fitted, the picture restored to its former glory. I have realised as well that for the last year there has been some minor disturbance in the picture, which was making it difficult to read credits that run from right to left along the bottom of the screen: these are now clear again.
    Many thanks for all your help,
    Crispin

8. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Glad to hear you got there in the end. :smashin:

9. eaglekeeper

eaglekeeper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased a Toshiba 61inch Projection TV Model #61VH9UM when I was working in Saudi Arabia as an aviation contractor. The Scan Converter Module, MDFS03, Part Number 23148027 has failed and the TV is now usless. It's only three years old and I really want to get it fixed. The problem with having a TV purchased in the Middle East is finding the parts. This part is not available anywhere in the U.S but Toshiba in the UAE said I should be able to get it from the U.K. I'm looking for some help in procuring this part. Any information that anyone can supply will be greatly appreciated. :lease:

P.S. I lived in the U.K. for 7 years while stationed at RAF Lakenheath in Suffolk when I was in the US Air Force. I really miss the country. Hope to get back there soon.