Another ‘What TV should I get’ thread (55inch 4k, £800 budget)

avid fan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I’m in the process of sorting out a loft conversion, the side effect of which is I get a small room which can become a refuge for watching movies.

Unbeknown to her, my plan is to shift our 50inch tv (Sony W7) into that room – rather than buy some 32 inch thing she’s got planned – and get a replacement for the lounge. I’m keen to go a bit bigger than 50inch, but don’t have a massive budget given my strategy – say £800.

I’d narrowed it down to three:

Samsung UE55KU6000 55-inch 4K

Panasonic TX58DX750B 58inch 4K

Sony Bravia KD55XD8005 55 inch 4K

I’ve generally been happy with my Sony, but it’s letdown is the operating system which seems very sluggish and not exactly user friendly. Samsung and Panny seem more impressive on this front from what I’ve read.

Any thoughts, or alternatives?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The Panasonic is the only one of those three where you are guaranteed to get a high contrast VA panel, i you have a Sony w75xC then likely this will be the same sort of panel as that.

Otherwise you are limited to IPS and PLS panels which do offer better viewing angles, but worse contrast and blacks.

The best value TVs of that size and price range tend to be sold out now, the Samsung KS7000 was the favorite as it has decent HDR performance (the ones you suggested do not) but this may not matter if you do not intend to utilise HDR.
You might still be able to find the curved version, the KS7500 which is a better option of each of the models you currently mentioned despite being curved.

Thanks for the comments

Where does the Hisense 55M700 (or 65 inch) compare against these?

About the same in quality to the Panasonic DX-750. Good SDR, bad HDR vs a TV like the KS7500 HDR is a lot worse.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom