Another ~£400 self build

C

ccdmxp

Ok, i had just finished this build when I saw "new self build best bang for bucks at £400". I'm in a similar position and I've made some notes, but would like some comments on my own build.

Basically, I'm going for a HTPC, but seeing how much I can get out of it for my budget (£400 tops, would rather it was lower)

I took all the parts from ebuyer.com as it looked good and cheap, but willing to take alternatives.

Here goes:
Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.5GHz Processor £54.00
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L Motherboard £83.99 <-(I think this is too much, but not sure of alternatives)
Crucial 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400 Ballistix Memory RAM £37.28
Gigabyte HD4770 512Mb GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV out Graphics £89.30
Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Heatsink £14.86
Arctic Power 500W PSU £28.98
Samsung HD502HI 16Mb 500Gb HD £39.99
Coolermaster Elite 300 No PSU Case £27.80

DVD/CD Drives x2 ~£25

Coming to ~£401 (I'll reuse my old monitor and extras for now)
[Cheaper alternatives would be appreciated, as I'm hitting the top of my budget already]

Alot of guesswork went into this as its been a while since I built a PC. I was hoping to order from one company only, but sticking to ebuyer seemed to be the largest restriction, so I'm willing to travel further for more parts.

Thanks
David

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The 4770 is far too powerful if you just want to watch movies and record TV, that's the sort of card to go for if you're keen on games or other graphics card accelerated software (photoshop etc.) A 4650 uses much less power and produces less heat and is going to be just as capable for most things.

Any motherboard will do for a media centre with a seperate graphics card, the intel chipsets are popular.

Swap the power supply out for a £30 300W one, cheap high powered power supplies make me nervous.

For hard drives I'd probably look at Seagate's single platter 500GB 7200.12 or Western Digital's Green/Greenpower 500GB (I'm using one now), but that's unlikely to make much difference so you could go for the Samsung if you like them.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom