Annual Travel insurance

There are no kindly mods around so I'll have to do.

We go away several times a year so an annual insurance policy makes sense for us and I got ours from www.direct-travel.co.uk

Before I went to Australia last year I got annual cover for my wife and I from www.insureandgo.co.uk which was about £90 all in. Fortunately I've never had to make a claim but they are very helpful if you have to call them.

not too keen on insure and go. I had problems whe i made a claim; i had to claim for a camera and phone but but they pay out a maximum of £200 per claim. what good is that , my camera alone was worth more, :mad:

shahedz said:
not too keen on insure and go. I had problems whe i made a claim; i had to claim for a camera and phone but but they pay out a maximum of £200 per claim. what good is that , my camera alone was worth more, :mad:

Too right:mad:

We were burgled on holiday and had £2000 cash stolen,phones and a few odds and ends, and received £200, avoid insure&go at all costs.

av2diefor said:
Too right:mad:

We were burgled on holiday and had £2000 cash stolen,phones and a few odds and ends, and received £200, avoid insure&go at all costs.

ridiculous, sorry to hear that mate, especially on holiday. a camcorder alone is £1k + yet the maximum pay out is a measly £200!

shahedz said:
ridiculous, sorry to hear that mate, especially on holiday. a camcorder alone is £1k + yet the maximum pay out is a measly £200!

Cheers.

The £200 was an absolute insult,I framed the cheque and hung it on my study wall to remind me never to use them again..:mad:

following mine and av2die4's terrible experience, does anyone know a insurance company that pays out more than £200 for an overall claim and also has more than a £200 limit on each item?

Ian J said:
We go away several times a year so an annual insurance policy makes sense for us and I got ours from www.direct-travel.co.uk

I've never found any company cheaper than these guys, far cheaper than anyone else in fact. I've been using them for years, sometimes individual policies & sometimes Annual if I'm away lots in a given year. Just got some insurance through them for my honeymoon for £48 all in, nearest other quote online was £99 & the travel agent wanted £120.

Didn't know that about insureandgo, thank god I never had to put a claim in!

DJT75 said:
I've never found any company cheaper than these guys, far cheaper than anyone else in fact. I've been using them for years, sometimes individual policies & sometimes Annual if I'm away lots in a given year. Just got some insurance through them for my honeymoon for £48 all in, nearest other quote online was £99 & the travel agent wanted £120.

Anyone ever claimed through them?

Watch out for the exclusions on some policies. For example, Norwich Union only insured me scuba diving to 20 metres. They also are very strict on medical exclusions. Check reviews to see if the cheap operators are good at paying out.

I go with AMEX because I think they are good quality. A poor travel insurance policy could ruin the rest of your life!

vnb said:
As RichardBoult said earlier, LloydsTSB Platinum account gives you travel ins, AA cover and a few other useful things as well. Whilst there is an account fee of £15 a month overall I think I'm getting good value.

http://www.lloydstsb.com/current_accounts/added_value_accounts/platinum_current_account.asp

I'm sure other banks must operate something similar.

regards,
vnb

Already got breakdown cover so I don't think i'd get VFM from this.

+ I used to work for a different bank and for some reason they still have my account down as a "Staff" one with a few decent account perks so don't really want to rock the boat there :smashin:

What I do with expensive items like watches, camera's, rings, laptops etc is have them as named mobile items on my household insurance......And check that your household insurance covers that price as well...I found very few go over £2000 per item.....

£200 maximum per claim is ridiculous....Just shows that one should always read the policy before buying it....

Luckily I've never had to claim so I can't really say about a good one...Last time I think I took the Eurotunnel insurance...I've found the claim levels on most annual policies weren't enough for us to cover our risk, which made individual trip ones look much better value...

But it is very personal to ones needs....

vnb said:
...I'm sure other banks must operate something similar.

The RBS offer this account, again there is a fee but there are many many excellent benefits.

The 'Lifestyle Manager' is a superb service - you can literally ask them anything and they will try to carry out your request. I have got them to find me a plumber who could do a certain job at a certain price, they even booked him for me. They have also secured tickets to sporting events and they even found out where I could get a lifesize cardboard cutout of Kylie for one of my mates!!

woodywizz said:
The RBS offer this account, again there is a fee but there are many many excellent benefits.

The 'Lifestyle Manager' is a superb service - you can literally ask them anything and they will try to carry out your request. I have got them to find me a plumber who could do a certain job at a certain price, they even booked him for me. They have also secured tickets to sporting events and they even found out where I could get a lifesize cardboard cutout of Kylie for one of my mates!!

Sounds like a great service! I prefer the Nationwide though who doesn't charge for getting my money out abroad which is quite in tune with the theme of the thread....

I bet you can have some fun with the Lifestyle Manager....

RichardBoult said:
My LLoyds TSB Platinum account gives travel insurance.....

So does their Gold Account - which requires you to keep less in the account ot avoid bank charges.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom