Annoying Sky+ RGB problem

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by boltoa, Dec 10, 2002.

1. boltoa

boltoa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Finally got my plasma up and all my stuff connected up at the weekend. However, getting a consistently reproducable problem with Sky+ RGB output. My connections are as follows
    DVD (Pioneer 717) RGB Scart out to Sky+ "VCR" Scart (top one)
    Sky+ TV (bottom) Scart to JS RGB->Component converter
    JS component out to Plasma (panny PW4).

When I switch my DVD player on, the Sky+ box senses this and loops through to JS and plasma, no problem there.
    When I switch it off again, I get no picture on plasma. It seems that Sky+ RGB output has been turned off. Only way to get picture is to go to the Sky+ setup (services, setup, picture) and turn RGB off, save, then back on again, and save again. Picture then reappears. Bit difficult with no picture! I had to use another telly fortunately already linked with TVLink thing. I've tried it with "Scart control" on and off, but I think this is only referring to widescreen switching, so didn't expect it to make a difference.

Anyone come across this? Any way to fix? I suspect not, and my solution is probably going to be connect Sky+ with SVideo connector so I can see what I'm doing turning RGB off and on again. Fortunately got Pronto, so can probably program a Macro to do it, but still a pain in the proverbial.

Any help much appreciated.

Andrew

2. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have same configuration as you (DVD -> Sky+ -> JS RGB to component -> Hitachi plasma) but don't have the same problem. Scart continues to output RGB.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Only similar thing I've come across is that when you press "TV" button on Sky remote it disengages RGB output. You aren't pressing "TV" at any time are you?

Gordon

4. boltoa

boltoa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    No, but thanks for suggestion.

If 'TV' turns it off, does 'Sky' turn it back on again? I suspect that would be just too easy :).

I'll have another play this evening...

Ta, Andrew

5. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Might be as simple as that, or something like it. Have you tried switching off the Sky+ prior to switching on the DVD. The DVD signal should still be passed through the Sky+ scarts. You could then switch off the DVD before watching Sky. Bit of a pain doing it that way, but as you've got a Pronto you could always program a macro for it.

Following from what Gordon has said, I have noticed that if I switch on Sky from the other TV (connected via TV Link), then output is automatically switched to composite rather than RGB. The widescreen switching signal is also turned off. Annoying when I've been watching a program in one room and then move to the lounge. Switching the Digibox off then on again (in the lounge) solves the problem.

6. boltoa

boltoa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Thanks. I did try the simple off/on, but no help. I'll see what happens if you turn sky off before watching DVD - might be a solution.

Could be TVLink related as well. I use this a lot - I've got 3 other TVs connected to it :). But then I'm fairly sure when I was playing last night that this didn't seem to cause it - it was only when switching on DVD.

Ta, Andrew

7. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Have you tried placing your Sky+ box at the beginning of the chain?
    No reason as to why but it'd rule something else out.
    Other than that I'd check your Pronto macros to check for a "TV" command as Gordon suggested, or just press the "SKY" button on your remote to reboot the RGB output & see if the picture returns.

Cheers, Paul

8. boltoa

boltoa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I'd like to chain them the other way round, but Pioneer 717 does not have RGB loopthrough :mad:.

Andrew

9. installer09

installer09
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Boltoa , I used to own a 717 which I had modded to loop rgb through second scart. I have a sky+ going through a js converter box . When I first switched it on I got no picture , in the end I turned the power off to the sky+ and when I reconnected it , it came on. When ever my box switches off now ( you know when you get up in the morning and the box has been put on standby and it switches back on to channel 998 , I think its when sky do there updates) when I turn it back on I get no picture , and have to pull the power cord again.

10. boltoa

boltoa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Went through all suggestions last night:

1. Press Sky Button - didn't work, and TV button definitely turns RGB off, Sky does not turn it back on again
    2. Turn Sky off (standby) before turning DVD player on. Didn't work.
    3. TVLink - didn't seem to be related. Could use TVLink from another room, and if it was feeding RGB in plasma room before, it did after. It is only DVD related

I did find it was fairly easy to memorise button presses required to turn RGB back on again. Services, 4, 1, 3xdown, left, 3xdown, select (save), 1, 3xdown, left, 3xdown, select, backup, backup. However, I did find that I didn't have to save twice - on picture menu, switching from RGB to PAL back to RGB got it working straight away, and just required a save at that point. For the moment, I'll program this into a macro on RC5000.

I think my permanent cure will be when I buy a component out DVD player, and don't need to daisy chain at all :).

Thanks for all the help, chaps.

Andrew

11. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Andrew,

Unable to help with your problem (sorry!!) but interested in your views on the JS RGB-Component box.

What is picture quality like? Any sign of degradation?

Cheers
    Rob.

12. boltoa

boltoa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Well, it's the only thing I've actually used to connect anything to the plasma, so I really couldn't say how good it was relative to anything else.

Pic quality from Sky seems fine, DVD is excellent. Nothing to complain about. I haven't had time to even watch a DVD all the way through yet though.

Andrew

13. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Boltoa

Just a quick thought: do you have an AV receiver with component switching capability? If you're following my train of thought, then you would of course need to separately convert Sky+ and DVD into component before feeding them into the receiver/amp. But then could switch between them easily.

14. boltoa

boltoa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    No, unfortunately I don't. I'll probably buy one at the same time as I get a prog scan DVD player with component out :).

It's not particularly bothering me, to be honest. I don't flick between watching Sky and DVD that often - I probably only have time to watch 1 DVD a week at best.

Andrew