1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Annoying probs with R1 anamorphic discs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by redlester, Aug 11, 2005.

1. redlester

redlester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using a multi region Toshiba DR-1 DVD recorder, but this problem was also apparent on my Tosh SD220 DVD player. When I play a Region 1 anamorphic disc, my TV does not switch to widescreen automatically when viewed via the component connection to the DVD player. But on the SCART connection it behaves as normal and switches to widescreen as it should! The problem is only on region 1 discs via component - do they have a different method of widescreen switching?? Region 2 discs via component (and Region 0) are fine.

Or is it a quirk of my TV (Tosh 32ZP18P). And why only on component, why is it OK on SCART?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    There are two methods by which a TV can detect widescreen (16x9) video:

1: A switching voltage on pin 8 of a SCART cable. Use of this is therefore dependent on the source (eg DVD player) setting the voltage correctly, the display using it, and, of course, a SCART > SCART connection.

2: A "flag" in one of the unused lines of the picture signal. Line 23 for PAL, line 21 for NTSC (IIRC). Known as WSS (Widescreen Switching Signal). In the case of DVD players, the player has to add this flag to the analog signal. It is then carried along with the picture information via whatever analog video connection you are using (including component). And the TV has to see it and react to it.

In your (and many other) case (s) what the TV is set to do, is use either the SCART PIN 8 signal OR the WSS within the video signal - but it can only look for the latter on line 23; not line 21.

So, with a SCART connection, pin 8 voltage is there for both PAL and NTSC,

but with other types of video connection, the flag on line 23 (PAL signal) is seen; flag on line 21 (NTSC) isn't.

3. redlester

redlester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for that information, most illuminating, and has at least put my mind at rest that I don't have a hardware fault. So if I copy a R1 NTSC DVD to a blank disc making it R0 in the process, that in itself won't be enough to get round the problem - I need to re-author it as PAL? :eek:

Think I'll just use the SCART connection for R1 discs!

4. redlester

redlester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a supplementary to this - can anyone advise if there is a DVD player or recorder out there which will correctly display both PAL & NTSC anamorphic discs on UK TV's by "converting" the WSS to line 23 for NTSC discs? Does such a player exist? Or do I just need a new TV that can detect both line 21 and 23 (again, does one exist?)

The reason its an issue for me is that when I manually alter the zoom ratio on my TV, it will not go back into automatic switching mode until I manually switch to 4:3, power off and then back on again, which is a real major annoyance.

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    All the TVs I've tried switch automatically on Interlaced Component pictures. But this doesn't happen on Progressive Component. In fact, all the DVD players I've used have allowed the player to pillar-box 4:3 video while you leave your TV in 16:9 mode, to compensate for this. In other words, the player handles the aspect ratio change instead of the TV.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    1: Region code has nothing directly to do with TV system. NTSC is NTSC and PAL is PAL regardless of region code.

2: I doubt that any machine/system/PC etc would put the WSS on line 23 in an NTSC signal. Such would be a very non-standard thing to do.

3: Converting NTSC video to PAL video will degrade the quality. Perhaps significantly. It seems a bit excessive to do this (IMO) simply to avoid having to press a button on your TV's remote (or whatever). From what you say, your TV does sound like the firmware was designed by a moron. However, leaving it in manual mode and manually changing ratio as required might be a better choice. I'd certainly avoid standards conversion.

4: All (?) DVD plays display signals correctly. The issue is with your (and, to be fair, most other) TV (s) which are designed primarily for PAL territory. Actually, I suspect you will find it difficult finding a TV that detects the WSS on both PAL and NTSC.