ANNOYING PROBLEM WITH SKY+ & MY NEW PHILIPS LCD

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by METALMICKY, Oct 2, 2005.

1. METALMICKY

METALMICKY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure there's an easy solution to this but this AV novice can't work it out.

Just purchased the Phillips 32in PF7520D LCD and connected it up to the SKY+ box. No problems with the picture but a really annoying little niggle when i use the TV guide button on the SKY+ remote.

If i am watching a SKY channel then press the TV Guide button 8/10 times the TV guide does not come up but the TV seems to switch to Channel 5 with the intials QR showing. The only way i can then get the TV guide to show up is by alternating between presses of the 'TV' and 'TV guide' button on the SKY+ remote. When it does work the Channel 5 indicator goes and it correctly indicates 'EXT1' which is the TV connection to the SKY+ box.

My connections are simply good quality SCARTS from SKY+ box to TV and also one from DVD to TV. The DVD connection to 'EXT2' works perfectly.

Any help on this annoying little niggle would be greatly appreciated

2. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    Do you have the 'video output' set to PAL not RGB in the picture settings?

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Make sure that SCART CONTROL is set to ON in the video settings of the Sky box.

If that fails, then it sounds like you have a faulty TV (welcome to the wonderful world of Philips !) :rolleyes:

4. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    Been using Philips TV's for about twnety years now and NEVER had a single failure yet.

Maybe I've just been lucky!

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Maybe I've just been unlucky ? The last piece of Philips "bad luck" was a CD writer that had a design fault which produced lovely silver coasters. American customers sued Philips in a class-action suit, and got compensated. European customers got nothing. That was the final straw in my "bad luck" saga :rolleyes:

6. METALMICKY

METALMICKY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick & Pug

Thanks for those suggestions but i had previously tried those 2 possible solutions without success. The Scart control was the obvious one but it made no difference and the Video output idea was tried even though logically that just relates to the Picture Settings.

I am convinced its something to do with the fact that on my previous stone age TV the SKY+ pictures were received through ch5. This suggests to me that whilst i have my SKY+ remote set up to operate my new TV there is some aspect of its functionality buggered by what was set up previously.

Any more suggestions grarefully received as i have suspicion it may be something really obvious and i'm just too AV dumb to work it out

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If you want to erase the previous remote control capability, just remove the remote control batteries overnight.

8. METALMICKY

METALMICKY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All sorted now but not without a degree of pain.

Against my better judgement i thought why not actually ring SKY. Of course as i'm sure many others can testify they are desperate not to actually talk to anyone and would rather one of their automated lines answer your query even though you know your query is not a standard one. 25 Mins later i actually managed to speak to a young lady. After 5 mins of going through her scripted responses she ran off to consult someone else and this also included querying whether my actual Philips LCD was a brand new model just released. Eventually it was deduced that my my remote for some reason was only partially programmed hence the niggle with the TV guide button. The solutionwas to cancel the programming and after trying 2 other codes for Phillips it finally worked.

Conclusion. Sky did sort it out in the end but it was painful just trying to talk to human being!!!!!