Annoying problem with my Sony Plasma

phil5743

Established Member
Reaction score
My recently acquired Sony KDE37 plasma has developed a strange fault - the Illuminated "Sony" logo will no longer light up (there is an option in the menu to switch it on or off but this no longer works). Apart from this the set works perfectly. The repair guy just had a look at it and said it would have to go back to them to be repaired as there are over 20 screws that need removing -he implied it was questionable whether it was worth the trouble.
What I would like to ask is:
1. Should I live with it as it is? I am peeved as I feel I paid a premium for Sony's styling and a part of this is not functioning as intended (the logo does look good!).

2. Is it unreasonable to expect them to repair it in my home?

3. What are the risks of causing other problems if I let them take it away? - they assure me it will be well protected but with 2 van journeys and all the dis-assembly I am concerned.

It does seem a trivial problem but one that frustrates me never the less.

It's your call whether it is worthwhile or not but the point is, it is supposed to work and why should you settle for less. Try and insist they look at it in your place. Probably something very simple like a connector from the bottom glass LEDs not plugged in properly.

As I said in my post,they have already looked at it at my place and say that it has to go back to them for repair - I'm just a bit worried about any damage that may come to it if I do give the go-ahead or are Plasmas being collected and returned just routine for them?

At the end of the day they are responsible if they damage it.

Get them to sign something to say it left your place in perfect condition and the emphasis is on them to return it in the same condition

My Sony Plasma had to be repaired and i have nothing but good things to say about the company that did it, they took it away replaced it with the same model as a loaner within the week i had my TV back,think they were in Heathrow somewhere. I think it depends on where you live what service centre repair it.

I'm not quite sure what you are saying the fault is.
Why would you want a logo that illuminates? Isn't it distracting when you are viewing the telly?

Brendan

brendan_dj said:
I'm not quite sure what you are saying the fault is.
Why would you want a logo that illuminates? Isn't it distracting when you are viewing the telly?

Brendan

You are able to turn the logo off (and I imagine I would when watching movies as opposed to normal TV) but the point is that it is supposed to be my choice whether it is on or not - cosmetically it makes the TV look good when it is on and I feel I should be able to benefit from this cosmetic feature when I want bearing in mind what I paid for the TV.

i would definately get the logo repaired. It's the coolness of it and the styling. It's probably just a bulb or something they need to replace. I say send it back, get them to loan you one in the meantime and maybe take some pictures of your sony before it goes as proof thats it's all okay. Or as someone suggested, get the collectors to sign to say it's in excellent working condition other than for the logo.
best of luck

Although I'm worried about it getting marked in transit I was more concerned that something could happen to affect the internals resulting in a change in picture quality. Any thoughts on this?

Agree , the logo looks cool. If you use it as a feature then yeah, you should have it working. Do you still have the original packaging? It will hopefully keep it safe during transit. As above, try and get something in writing.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom