Annoying Pop up when I switch on

Bernie2

Novice Member
Reaction score
Sorry but I don't know if my new TV is OLED or LED or what. All I know is that I have just purchased a new Toshiba Smart tv - 43UK3163DB TV and each time I switch on I get greeted by a box at the top asking "Do you want to check Alexa Settings - yes/no". I appreciate the tv is Alexa ready but I have no intention of getting Alexa and would like to know how to get rid of this annoying question . If the answer is somewhere in the TV's manual, please tell me where it is because i have looked for it without success. Many thanks.

Why don't you just say yes and be done with it...you don't have to use Alexa..
And oh by the way your TV is LCD TV

Because he is probably like me and doesn't trust Alexa listening to everything he says. I have just bought this TV and I'm going to contact Toshiba about this issue. If I can't disable this message it's going back.

Bernie2 - Forget it, I've been in touch with Toshiba technical assistance and the guy had a lengthy look into it. There is no way to turn it off. I think I'm going to send mine back. It's too annoying.

Many manufacturers have annoying pop-ups that you can't disable - my Panasonic OLED has a Freeview Play shortcut interface that launches when the TV is first turned on and my LG TV brings up it's smart WebOS interface, neither of which I normally want to use and neither of which (AFAIK) can be disabled. Neither need any input from me to get rid of them to be fair though, so the annoyance factor isn't quite as high as needing a yes or no answer, as in your case.

It's asking if you want to setup the Alexa settings.
Chances are if you select “No” it will disable it.
You have nothing to lose by trying it.

I know this is some time ago, however, I also contacted ToshTech back in January and got the same answer. I presume it keeps the TV costs down a smidge....the annoyance has disipated over the few months I have perservered with it - I laugh now, knowing that I am refusing to be in the system - it is a permanent reminder of how I can keep sticking it to 'em!! :) Otherwise a good tele - 65" cheapie from Richer...sound a bit weak, but then who doesn't augment that these days - I am mostly AKG headphones. Someone else mentioned in another thread that the sound output is always on at TV speakers - I just turn the volume down - does not affect lineout.

Last edited:
@Queak Except that Alexa is an Amazon product - not Google, theirs is Google Assistant

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: - my first post!! Of course it's Amazon, what the blazes was I thinking....that's how little I use or pay attention to them....I'll edit and go and crawl away and hide for a year or two.

@Queak So it asks you if you want to set up Alexa every time you turn on the TV, even if you say no ? And there's no way to stop it ? I'm staggered that Toshiba think that's acceptable !

Maybe @Queak could confirm if selecting “no” prevents it from appearing again?

Hi, ive got exactly the same problem its so annoying, and even after choosing No it still pops up again soon as the tv is turned on again from standby,i want nothing to do with Alexa but cant get this message to stop from popping up.😡

Maybe @Queak could confirm if selecting “no” prevents it from appearing again?
Yup - what Slayer69 says - everytime switching on from Standby, either going straight through to Netflix or Prime using the dedicated buttons or the on button - no difference - always there...I do not want Alexa anywhere near my household....it's that extra couple of seconds it takes from one's life that gets to me - I think too much perhaps.... :cool:

I know this is an old thread but I seem to have found a way around this. I completed the Alexa setup after that I went into the online skills for Alexa and disabled the TV skill. hey presto, the Tv stopped responding to the commands and the nag disappeared

@Jim Redfearn Yes, thanks for the tip. It worked for me but it seems coercive to force the poor purchaser to use a smartphone or PC or whatever crap they are pushed towards adopting in order to stop an annoyance that wasn't requested. It's Vestel who are behind the Toshiba built-in Alexa feature, no doubt given a bung by Amazon.

I know this is an old thread but I seem to have found a way around this. I completed the Alexa setup after that I went into the online skills for Alexa and disabled the TV skill. hey presto, the Tv stopped responding to the commands and the nag disappeared
I'm really hoping you see this reply but can you give a step by step of how you went into online skills for Alexa? I don't seem to have the option myself.

I'm really hoping you see this reply but can you give a step by step of how you went into online skills for Alexa? I don't seem to have the option myself.
I thought this thread would be long dead by now. marybee, I don't know how Jim Redfearn did it, but I have just tried it and it tells me to go on my computer to register by entering a code. When I do that it wants me to agree to them storing all sorts of my information in the cloud. There is no option to disallow this. I have to either agree or cancel the setup. I cancelled the setup. That's exactly what I don't want!
I have to say I'm disappointed with Toshiba, a once great TV maker, putting their name to a pile of c**p like this. It is without doubt the worst purchase of my life. The set loses signal a lot, which my other sets never did. When I switch the set on after it's been off for a while, the guide is always nearly empty and I have to wait ages for it to populate, again never had this problem before. The sound keeps going off and the only way to get it back on is to turn the power off and on again. And lastly, ever since it got a software update a few weeks after I got it, I can't set a reminder unless I have a USB stick plugged in. It seems like it has it's wires crossed between a reminder and a recording.
I definitely won't be touching ANYTHING from Vestel again.

I've had this and while I have no objection to using Alexa, it doesn't allow you to change the wake word and my Sonos is also Alexa and doesn't allow you to change the wake work. BUT Toshiba have just fixed this with an update a few weeks ago! 🎉. The TV no longer asks the question when it turns on.

Yes, same here. They also seem to have fixed some of the other bugs I was experiencing. I have mixed feelings about this: On one hand I'm mad as hell it's taken them over two years to fix bugs that shouldn't have been there. On the other I'm impressed they have released updated software for a set that came out about 3 years ago (maybe more). After putting up with a barely working set for two years, I still wouldn't buy any of their stuff again though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom