Annoying Netgear/Internet problem

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Hi

I have a very annoying, but intermittant problem on my PC.

I have a Netgear DLS-G604T router running on Win XP etc connected by ethernet cable. Basically my problem is sometimes when I turn on the PC I just can not connect to the internet. The router shows in the information page as DSL connected and has a downstream and upstream speed, but in the connection status page is says it's disconnected, and clicking connect does nothing.

The only way I can sort it out is to completely shut down the PC and start again. Usually just one shut down and restart will get it back.

It also seems to usually only occur if I leave the blue login screen page on for a while before pressing enter to get to the desktop.

I have checked and the router has the latest software in it. Before I had this router I was using a USB adsl modem if that is any help. I also have a laptop using the wireless part of the router and never have any issues connecting when I start that up.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Greg

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
the router is always turned off with the pc.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Ah right, then try waiting around 30 secs before starting the computer up. Give the router time to initialize properly.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
uridium said:
Even easier just leave the Router on?
That my friend is a security risk. When you are not using internet/wirelessness turn off the router simple as. Prevents any kind of hacking attempt when you aren't there.

Valo^

Novice Member
Singh400 said:
That my friend is a security risk. When you are not using internet/wirelessness turn off the router simple as. Prevents any kind of hacking attempt when you aren't there.
If you setup your router and wifi security settings correctly ie mac address filtering and a nice long preshared WPA key, you should never have any problems like that. The whole point of having a router in the first place is for it to be left on!

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Tumbler said:
If you setup your router and wifi security settings correctly ie mac address filtering and a nice long preshared WPA key, you should never have any problems like that. The whole point of having a router in the first place is for it to be left on!
Yeah but if a real hacker wanted to, he would crack any kind of encryption given enough time.

Surely if the PC is off anyway, there is nothing for them to hack into
His desktop is connected via ethernet, and his laptop over wireless. So hes laptop is at risk.

Better to be safe than sorry IMO.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Thanks for all the replies. I will wait a while before turning the PC on after the router to see if that works better.

Also I have set it up to be secured with a key. I don't have any concerns about hackers getting in as my laptop and PC are always turned off when I'm not using them.

But if I leave the router on all the time, and it is connected to the PC which would be off, is there any risk of damage to the pc if the router had a power surge down the ethernet cable? Sorry if that is a stupid question!

Thanks
Greg

Valo^

Novice Member
GregHook said:
Thanks for all the replies. I will wait a while before turning the PC on after the router to see if that works better.

Also I have set it up to be secured with a key. I don't have any concerns about hackers getting in as my laptop and PC are always turned off when I'm not using them.

But if I leave the router on all the time, and it is connected to the PC which would be off, is there any risk of damage to the pc if the router had a power surge down the ethernet cable? Sorry if that is a stupid question!

Thanks
Greg
Just get a surge protector for the router and you'll be fine

willsy2

Novice Member
I have a Netgear router and they take a minute or so to boot (Annoying when you're making any changes to the configuration). Your PC would have booted before it could get an IP address from the router which is still initialising.
You don't really need to reboot your PC, you could open an MS-Dos command prompt and type ipconfig /renew