Annoying Holiday Things...

WeegyAVLover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just been to Turkey on holiday and a couple of things happened that seem to be happening more and more.

We went to a couple of tourist spots - some old ruins - they had built a massive outdoor shopping & eating area round it where you got nothing but hassle from the shop & restaurant owners to go into them.... Which, for us took the shine of the experience.

Also we walked to this venue and there was an old amphitheatre on the way there which my wife was taking pictures of. I went to take a photo of her and a guy asked if he would like us to take a picture of us and I agreed. After he had taken a fee photos I got my camera back & he put his hand out wanting money... I just thought he was being nice. But the best/worst but was when I gave him all the change I had on me which was about 2 Turkish Lira he acted as if he did not want it and gave me it back. When he realised he was not getting anything else he asked for it back.

I am shocked by people at times.

Anyone else think this is mental and have their own stories?

Where Abouts did you go in turkey Weegie?
My in laws have got a place out there which I use a lot and what you are describing is pretty common place every restaurant along the sea front has a person trying to drag tourists in.

I went to Bodrum once the town is a busy tourist area and it felt like every trader is trying to squeeze just that bit more out of you. Didn't like the place one bit.

One of the many reasons I'm not keen on foreign holidays. That, scroungers and hot weather being among the others.

I've got a vacant couldn't give a toss stare when abroad and don't really get bothered by people like that.

Egypt was possibly the worst place I have ever been for this. Baksheesh (bribe) is the word asked after you've obtained any service. A taxi ride, bought a boat ticket etc

You get ripped off on 3 out of 4 taxi rides. Harassed by shop keepers, tourists guides .

I absolutely hated the place there due to the people servicing tourists.

Egypt for me too.

I ended up toe to toe with this market trader and four of his little goat herders after they made a snide comment about my wife.

It was getting heated then two coppers one with an AK the other a shotgun turned up out of nowhere and said something in Arabic. They apologised and went away.

This was Sharm-el-sheikh.

I had something similar in Egypt years ago when my kids were small.
The local men act very disturbingly around your blonde girls. I nearly throttled a couple of them that were pestering my daughter :mad:

We had the same in Tunisia about 10 years ago. The GF is blonde, so they were constantly trying to manhandle / grope / kiss her.

We just stick to mainland Europe now.

I agree to a point with the phrase "this is tourism" but it does not mean you have to like it.

I also agree with Egypt. It felt very similar to Turkey in the harassing - I was in Antalya near Side. I was describing the walk from our hotel to the "Theatre of Apollo".

We were near Bodrum last year & it was the same there.

I just wish you could walk passed a shop without hassle to go in and look at the crap they sell. Or if you (aka wife) does decide to stop and go in for a look that they do not close the door behind you and hassle you to buy.

It makes you not want to leave your hotel. Which I scrap because I do like going out for a wander as does my wife.

I think though if we had guaranteed nicer weather in Britain I would love to go camping round here instead as I do like a bit of camping/caravanning.

Know what you mean about Egypt, but thanks to an Egyptian ex-colleague we avoided all the hassle in Egypt by employing our own tour guide.
2690378742_9d85669aa8_z.jpg

We ended up getting an Egyptoligist (Joe on the left - who was a Christian interestingly), a 'minder' (on the right) and a driver.
They would pick us up in the early morning, and they guided us through Cairo and surrounding area, Luxor and Alexandria in historical sequence over 10 days. Amazing trip.
It cost us something like $200 a day, but actually considering that included them, the minibus, and all entry permits for the sites we visited, for a family of 4 that was very good value compared to the organised trips you get from the hotels. And of course it meant we had totally no hassle from anyone, and could go wherever we pleased at our own pace.

Well worth seeking something like that out if you can (unless you are just going there to lie on the beach all day of course) Not that I would go there under the present circumstances mind you...

yeah, I'd hate that kind of hassle on my hols... hence going to Olhao...
Malta's very peaceful too - tho, we nipped to the touristy part of st pauls - and got hassled off a time share rep - we got on the first bus out of that area...

Not hassle but more of an annoyance, Japan
Everyone stares at you. Now I don't know whether it was because we're all tall, or just an ugly bunch :laugh:

If you want a hassle free holiday in Turkey then go to Turunc, just west of Marmaris/Icmelar.

Locals are so friendly and the shops/restaurants are not allowed to hassle the tourists. It's a small place and quiet so more suited to the more mature tourist, not much for children but there is a waterpark in Marmaris (not recommended!).

Turunc Village | Welcome

Turunç - Village

I have been going there since 2002 and most of the people who go there are repeat visitors, some have been going for 20+ years.

The worst I have experienced was in Jerusalem, I was in Israel for work a couple of years ago and was taken on a tour. The historical bits were interesting but the markets were hell, you couldn't even look at something without being pounced on, I spent most of the time avoiding eye contact with all the stall holders and rushing through it all.

The stupid thing was that I had money to spend but came away with almost nothing because I couldn't be arsed with the hassle.

The worst I have experienced was in Jerusalem, I was in Israel for work a couple of years ago and was taken on a tour. The historical bits were interesting but the markets were hell, you couldn't even look at something without being pounced on, I spent most of the time avoiding eye contact with all the stall holders and rushing through it all.

The stupid thing was that I had money to spend but came away with almost nothing because I couldn't be arsed with the hassle.

That is exactly how I feel when I go to markets as this happens all the time. Horrible experience every time.

Spent a few months travelling around India and it was exactly the same. Constant hassle from people trying to sell you stuff. The worst were the homeless kids begging. This wasn't annoying just heart breaking as it was rife in Mumbai

Spent a few months travelling around India and it was exactly the same. Constant hassle from people trying to sell you stuff. The worst were the homeless kids begging. This wasn't annoying just heart breaking as it was rife in Mumbai

The kids begging in Mumbai... Is it not the case that a lot of them are part of gangs that are working for someone?

Still, must be hard to see, but terrible they have turned something like that into a business.

I believe to some extent that's correct. I was advised on arrival not to give them any money as it only encourages them to continue begging. It's easier said than done when you're confronted with a 5 year old girl wearing nothing more than a sack who looks like she hadn't eaten a proper meal for weeks.....

Middle/Far East has always been this way I think. Over 30 years ago I was in Egypt with my boyfriend (now my husband of 30 years), who was working out there. Walking around the markets was fascinating but I was acutely aware of 'looks' and would not have wanted to be there without male company; we certainly got hassled quite a bit for baksheesh.

Six/seven years later visiting Bangkok. I'd say this was worse; there, babies were deliberately maimed at birth to improve their begging chances and it really was a beggar on every street corner. At least in Egypt they were trying to give you something for the money, even if it was something you didn't want!

Hated Egypt too, great place ruined by the a hole locals, there is trying to make money from tourism then there is over the top hassel.

A few inncidents stand out. The worst being getting an official giverment taxi to a water park, get there and the driver gets out and follows us clearly trying to get a commission for hand delivery us to a massive park. Turn round every few meters "what? What? Go away pal!" No way I'm with him so we get a drink at a cafe, he hangs about, go in to a shop, follows us in. This went on for 10 minutes till I literally had to get in his face like I was ready to punch him. We get to the park eventually, considering the size you expect it to be legit enough, no prices on the wall behind the counter, out comes a taty board from behind the desk, clearly tourist prices about 10 times what they should be. Evenly flatly refusing to be ripped off and enquiring about the real price they continued with that price so we ended up walking back to the hotel in 40 degree heat.

Another inncident I foolishly agreed to a taxi back to the hotel with a tout after a long hot day rather than go to the rank. After about 100meters I start to question the guy and he keeps telling me "just up here, just up here" by this time we've walked past a load of taxis and the main rank after about 10 minutes and 30 other taxis I just tell him to get lost and go for the taxi at the front of the rank, he pushes the door I opened closed and squares up to me, I go around him and try an open it again and he try's to baracadge the door! I push him aside open the door and he jumps in to stop me getting in! Starts shouting at the driver. Stupid move really as I just shut the door on him giving me just enough time to jump in the taxi behind and say go, go, go! He told me these guys are what he described as 'mafia'.

They just made us feel uneasy at most places, couldn't relax on holiday! Even at my hotel pool on a lounger an employee comes and perches on the end of my lounger while I'm snoozing "you like football?" Jeez!

Amazing sites like the pyramids are ruined as you're constantly on guard and being hasseled.

I'm not saying this as an inexperienced traveller who doesn't get it, I've been through the Narobi slums where One Direction and Lenny Henry cry from each Red Nose Day and wouldn't get left alone by 'Leather man' in a Narobi market. I've had altitude sickness and close to being air lifted off the summit of Mount Kenya, I've had a stand off with 7ft Jamaicans in Santiago de Cuba trying to steal my sisters watch, I've had a punch up at 15 years old with Czech mafia after a strip club stole my cashmere Geeves & Hawkes jacket from the cloakroom. I'm
Not adverse to some colourful situations but Egypt is one place I'll never return, a fascinating country ruined by the people. It has put me off morocco and tunsia to be honest.

Even in the hotel they were short on glasses and at breakfast the staff would steal them off the table when we weren't looking to wash as they had none out! They took our glasses about five times at one breakfast between two of us despite us literally trying to guard them! Take a mouth full of toast and a waiter whipped past the table quick as a flash and in the kitchen.

Egypt - I hate you.

Bluedroog, I went Egypt with my mates and two weeks later I went Marrakesh with the then girlfriend who is now my wife.

After my experience with Egypt I was on high guard but have to say thankfully morrocans are nothing like Egyptians when it comes to the scams and harassment.

I would never ever return to Egypt unless I was staying at an expensive hotel in Sharm where you don't get harassed as much or have to bother with cab journeys.

I was only mildly hassled in Hammamet, Tunisia around 15 years ago and had no issues on the few times I've been to Turkey (Yalikavak/Bodrum/Gumbet). I don't think I would be able to restrain myself if I was getting constantly bugged, hassled or encouraged to buy a camel for example.

Holidays are to relax, that's why I prefer to go further afield (but less frequently) you cannot get scammed or harassed in the Indian Ocean.

Bluedroog, I went Egypt with my mates and two weeks later I went Marrakesh with the then girlfriend who is now my wife.

After my experience with Egypt I was on high guard but have to say thankfully morrocans are nothing like Egyptians when it comes to the scams and harassment.

I would never ever return to Egypt unless I was staying at an expensive hotel in Sharm where you don't get harassed as much or have to bother with cab journeys.

Thanks for that as I've always wanted to go to Morocco but had such an exhausting experience ruled it out. You've probably change the course of my future plans with that, as I mentioned I don't mind the usual hustle but found Egypt overly intrusive, I expect to get stopped and " my friend, come look" but not followed and physically challenged as par for the course.

Actually when we realised you could pay a daily fee to use the beaches in front of the 5 star hotels we finally managed to relax.

I think I'd avoid doing morocco on the cheap, Egypt was a ridiculous price, a week cheaper than a uk weekend break!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom