Annoying emails.

the whistler

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Some weeks ago I received a couple of emails and as they wern't of any interest to me I clicked on the unsubscribe link, which I guess was a big mistake!

Now every day I getting more and more of these annoying emails and I guess it's going to get worse over time.

The emails always have the same format consisting of a bold headline followed by an advert which looks like it's just been cut and pasted then finally an option to unsubscribe.

It's impossible to block the emails as they are from a different sender every time. The actual adverts are from reputable companies, shops etc but I guess they are not really associated with them.

I'm guessing that unsubscribing just forwards my email back to the sender, but as they already have my email address, I can't see what they gain from that.

I can't really see the purpose of these emails, as they don't ask for any personal information.

Anyone else getting these, and are they some sort of phishing scam?

Some weeks ago I received a couple of emails and as they wern't of any interest to me I clicked on the unsubscribe link, which I guess was a big mistake!

Now every day I getting more and more of these annoying emails and I guess it's going to get worse over time.

The emails always have the same format consisting of a bold headline followed by an advert which looks like it's just been cut and pasted then finally an option to unsubscribe.

It's impossible to block the emails as they are from a different sender every time. The actual adverts are from reputable companies, shops etc but I guess they are not really associated with them.

I'm guessing that unsubscribing just forwards my email back to the sender, but as they already have my email address, I can't see what they gain from that.

I can't really see the purpose of these emails, as they don't ask for any personal information.

Anyone else getting these, and are they some sort of phishing scam?
Most likely they get paid money everytime someone clicks through the advert to the company. Say they send 1 million emails (costs them nothing to do this). Even if only 5% of those people click through, that's still 50,000 clicks generating money, then multiply that by tens/hundreds of millions more email addresses, & emails sent several times a day...£££££

Sometimes spammers will already have your email address. Other times they will spam a domain name with popular name choices hoping some will get through to actual accounts. In either case when you hit unsubscribe you are telling them that the email is valid and monitored.

Unfortunately this tends to lead to your address being put into a valid address list and then sold on.

Best thing to do is just delete them unless it's something that you signed up for in the first place.

Is there nothing common to them you could use to set a filter to either send them straight to the bin or a folder?

Ebay have become a complete pain for this, both general spam & "Have another look this item (you've already rejected)." Every one has a different subject so I have to send everything from Ebay to a folder to be checked, because one in a thousand will actually be meaningful.

Can you report it as spam in your email client? There may be some commonality it can build a rule from.

Get about five a day on average. Clicked on a couple of unsubscribes, luckily no fallout. Course you love to reply to these numpties but they're all fake addresses so a waste of time.

The latest ones are a scam offering gift cards, last week I got three from the same person who just happened to work for Amazon, Asda and Morrisons! Here's an example...

Untitled.png

Considering I don't have a credit card etc, It hasn't come out in the screenshot but it is signed by an Edward White with a signature that could be anything.

Another email keeps saying I have almost a grand to claim on an account I've never had. They're annoying but amusing too when you see how amateurish they are.

Most don't touch basic English and you're left thinking, nah, no-one would ever say that, anyway the golden rule is never click on anything and just multi-delete these moronic intrusions.

Last edited:
I get loads of annoying eMails at work - asking me to attend meetings or asking how certain tasks are progressing - is there any way to stop these :)

Cheers,

Nigel

I get loads of annoying eMails at work - asking me to attend meetings or asking how certain tasks are progressing - is there any way to stop these :)

Cheers,

Nigel

Yes, retire. :)

Yes, retire. :)
That's the plan - within the next 1.5 to 5.5 years.

In 5.5 years my pension scheme allows me to retire, in 1.5 years time if there happens to be a voluntary redundancy scheme I will be able to take it as early retirement. The countdown clock is running.

Cheers,

Nigel

Cheers,

Nigel

I got one the other day from a guy informing me about alcohol consumption in the workforce. Totally random with no point at all. No ask for anything just 30 words of pointless statistics. Just deleted it.

Since I first posted, the daily numbers have increased. Unfortunately there's no common text which I can use to block these emails and they are all from different senders addresses.

Starting to get annoyed now!!

Since I first posted, the daily numbers have increased. Unfortunately there's no common text which I can use to block these emails and they are all from different senders addresses.

Starting to get annoyed now!!

What is your mail client? Does it have a decent spam filter?

With this one weird tip you can stop all unwanted work emails, and possibly all emails ever.

Step 1 - take a selfie - a 'special' selfie
Step 2 - email it to all your colleagues, possibly with some suggestions
Step 3 - your work email problem will soon be solved!

Cheers,

Nigel
Delete them all unread, anything important will be followed up. :)

I got one the other day from a guy informing me about alcohol consumption in the workforce. Totally random with no point at all. No ask for anything just 30 words of pointless statistics. Just deleted it.

You should have gone out for a loooooong liquid lunch, got yourself totally ****faced and then turned up at his desk and puked on it.

Unsubscribing will get you off their list, but will also confirm that the email address is active, so they will sell it on to other spammers. Best way is to mark it as spam, so their next email will go straight to spam box.

Unsubscribing will get you off their list, but will also confirm that the email address is active, so they will sell it on to other spammers. Best way is to mark it as spam, so their next email will go straight to spam box.

I do just mark as spam but wouldn't surprise me if there was some danger in clicking on the unsubscribe link.

I don't know what email clients yous is all using but I find gmail dead-on with its filter. i.e. 'genuine' marketing emails go into my inbox - I unsubscribe on these if I want to. Real spam goes into the spam folder - maybe 2-3 mails per day. The only miss-fire was Rightmove mails I signed up to going into the spam folder. I pressed the 'not spam' button a few times and that was resolved.

Oh good, another grand I can get my paws on. All I gotta do is...

Untitled.png

... "type in you email" :laugh: not very professional is it... and does anyone know a place called Captain Creek?

Oh good, another grand I can get my paws on. All I gotta do is...

Untitled.png

... "type in you email" :laugh: not very professional is it... and does anyone know a place called Captain Creek?

Australia, Queensland.

TBH i find the Hotmail / Outlook spam filter pretty good these days. I'm down to about one scam email a week and zero spam email.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom