1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Annoying channel logos

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Miyazaki, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    After reading all the stuff about the red dots, it occured to my that maybe digital broadcasters could post "removable" logos kind of like the infamous red "dot". Whereby you can simply press back-up to get rid of the logo. This could also placate the broadcasters who believe that unless they have the logo there people don't know what they are watching.

What does everyone think? :)

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    I think that:

a) logos do not have the justfication that broadcasters use viz: to help people know whay channel they are on. All digital TV platforms have some sort of 'details' feature whereby you can call up the channel name on request from your STB. On most, it pops up automatically, briefly, when you change channels. So you are in no doubt, and don't need the DOG to help you.

b) they are placed there so as to stop people from making permanent recordings of the programme - at least, if you do, it will permanently bear the logo identifying its source. Interesting, though, that no broadcaster, when contacted, actually states that this is the case.

3. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I was watching something on UK Horizons the other night. Their logo is long and intrusive enough, but then 10 to 15 minutes before it finished, they put up a large message over the bottom half of the screen telling you what the next program was. Come on Sky, if I press the enter button on the Sky remote, it tells me what I'm watching and what's on next. Why not just splash the logo all over the screen put the program on up in the top corner - then you can keep flashing the red dot over it and keep us busy pressing the backup button for the thousandth time - rant over.

4. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Channel 4's logos really get no my nerves. Why, when I've decided to watch a programme, would I want to stop watching it and pay through the nose to play a stupid game with my remote control?

Their logos seem to get bigger and brighter all the time. It just causes ill-feeling towards the broadcaster, as far as I'm concerned.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,024
    Sci-Fi channel are doing something similar at i.e. adding advertisements in their logos e.g. The Visitor on 9pm blha blha blah (also seen this on Sky One). The also have the popup’s what’s on next near the end a gob s***** talking over the end titles and no doubt they cut the titles into a little box so you cannot see who was in it or any other info.
    Have you noticed they cut the credits on kids programs and cut to the presenters. What a good way to teach the children attention deficit.
    If I pres a number on the remote say 4 I know I’m going to get channel 4 I do not ned a big T4 in the screen to tell me.
    Mind you the state of TV today I think they are catering for retards.

6. CatDog

CatDog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Watching something I taped last week from Sky I was horified to find DAVID BLAINE stamped all over the top corner ! How annoying is that !!!!

7. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not only that but the David Blaine page was nowhere to be found on the interactive page! Shazam! :D

Not only are thay catering for retards - the system seems to be maintained by them too!

8. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only once have I ever been bothered by a pop-up and I found the number for the duty log and gave them such a bollocking that it never appeared again. The guy on the end said they were just testing it to see what sort of reaction they got. They got a right earfull from me.

9. Links

Links

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I was saying to the missus last night how intrusive the Disney Channel logo is. It used to be a small one in the top corner now is a massive one in the bottom left. Annoying to say the least.

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,024
    They once started putting Logos on one of the channel on the old BSB and there were complaints, the quickly removed them. They lived up to there phrase "you watch we listen". Shame they merged with Sky.

11. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I emailed Sky some time ago to harp on about my hatred of the logos, here's the reply I got:

Thank you for your e-mail about the logos and please accept my apologies for the delay in responding.

I was concerned to read of your dissatisfaction with the logos on Sky channels. Please allow me to explain.

It was felt that, with the continual expanding range of programming on Sky, some form of channel identification is necessary and logos make quick and easy identification for the viewer.

I am sorry that you find these logos distracting, however, thanks once again for contacting us. We always welcome customers' comments and actively encourage viewers' feedback.

Thank you for your continued interest in Sky.

Kind regards

Diana Allan
    Viewer Relations

Some form of channel identification is necessary? Yes it is, that why you (Sky) have put the facility into the digibox - I press the enter button and a banner pops up telling me what channel I am on, what is on now and what's on next. I press it again and it goes away and doesn't annoy me.

Skys policy is The Customer is always wrong and should shut up and b****r off.

12. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Has anyone else (this may be on Telewest only) found that their Sky logo (and some others) are appearing in the middle of the screen? It's not exactly in the middle, but it's certainly not in the corner where it should be, it's almost halfway. And large. Extremely Large. Has anyone had a sky logo burned into an expensive TV (ie plasma)? Maybe they could sue Sky for damages? That'll show them

13. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you mean the Sky One logo?
    They recently started broadcasting in 16:9 wide mode so the logo would be moved in to be visible on 4:3 screens which cut off the outer 2-3 inches of the image (unless you're using letterbox mode on your Digibox). BBC did this too a few years back much to the annoyance of widescreen owners. Logos look riduclously oversized on big displays because they have to be legible on 14in TV's too!

I wish they'd remove all this garbage from our screens or at least make it an option to turn them off in the settings

14. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On my 42" in this 16:9 mode the sky logo actually looks smaller:rolleyes:

15. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Why don't we all mail them!

Viewer relations
    For programme/channel advice and feedback email: viewerr@bskyb.com

16. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    One thing is for sure. Most TV broadcasters are 'driven' by either ratings or subscription income.

Now, if it became clear that sufficiently large numbers of viewers were avoiding DOG-ridden channels, they may be motivated to change their practices.

However, for as long as we all continue to tune in (and pay our subs where relevant), our moaning is going to have little effect, I suspect.

17. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Logos are the main reason why I don't watch SkyOne. I'd much rather download a lower quality DIVX version of a show I want to watch than watch a blighted (and often edited) SkyOne version.

MTV's rediculous DOG also caused me to avoid the second season of the Osbournes.

Personally, I think they are a real pain and completely unnecessary to the consumer. But, as is the case in so many businesses these days, the consumer comes last.

Oh, and since no one else has mentioned it yet:

http://logofreetv.org/

18. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    email sent

they probably have a filter that deletes any email which mentions red dots or logos

19. JonathanKnight

JonathanKnight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should try Turkish TV (we have it on satellite as my wife is Turkish). They have graphical adverts that appear on the bottom quater of the screen during programs. Most of them contain some sort of moving text to make them really distracting. Drives me mad :mad: I hope we never get that bad here.

20. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Urrrgh, the girlfriend was watching That 70's Show on Trouble last night and they have awful logo's.Top right corner, two extremely long bars, one yellow, the other blue, one tells you the channel, the other what's on next. completely unecessary.

21. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Maybe we should start a petition on this forum, depending on the moderators say so, or course.

I'm all for writing to Sky, MTV, Ch4 etc. but there is power in numbers and this must be the top AV forum in the UK which adds even more clout.

Or perhaps we could get a special guest appearance from some of the decision-makers in Sky, BBC, ITV, Ch4 et al so we can let them know (in a polite, mature way!) what the general feeling is towards on screen graphics?

Just a thought...

Owenw

22. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a nice idea, but from what I've seen Ed go through over at LogoFreeTV, it would take a massive consumer backlash for broadcasters to back down on onscreen clutter right now. They are committed to furthering their branding at the expense of the viewer because most people don't really care. :(

It's similar to Sky and Widescreen programming. They kept saying that people don't want widescreen programming right up until (and even after) they themselves implemented it across the board.

Sky didn't bring in widescreen until they had to, and the channels won't get rid of the DOGs until their ratings start to suffer.

Maybe letters would be more valuable if sent to the companies that make £££ off plasma screen TVs. If they put pressure on broadcasters to lay off the burn-in inducing logos, maybe we'd see some compromise. After all, one of the main reasons why I don't own a plasma TV is the risk of permanent burn-in from all the onscreen clutter.

23. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thought that might be the case, you'd need to be a real crusader to take on the big boys like that. The whole widescreen issue was laughable.

In regard to Plasmas I think that's been tried too with the manufacturer's coming up with a "workaround" of slowly rotating the image so that one part of the screen doesn't bear the brunt of the high contrast graphic. I wonder do you end up with a mish-mash of blurry logo imprints in the top corners of plamsa screen after a few years use?

If one broadcaster dealt with all the issues (ditching logos, implementing current technology like 16:9, and ramping up to HDTV) they would be the surely become the market leader. Now add some engaging content and the rest would be left far behind. Wasn't there a crowd like this at one stage who were always on the cutting edge? I think they were called the BBC.

24. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Five has no logo, so I watch it a fair bit. Their programming doesn't do much for me, but they do show some decent movies.

I'll put up with logos for shows I really want to watch, but when it comes down to shows I could do without, I'll turn off if the logo is too annoying. Of course, the broadcasters would never equate lost ratings with annoying onscreen graphics.

25. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Emailed them, and here is the response!

Next stop ITC!

Dear Mr Atkins

Thank you for your e-mail and please accept my apologies for the delay in responding.

I was concerned to read of your dissatisfaction with the interactive icons on Sky channels. Please allow me to explain.

The interactive icon you describe is designed to give valuable viewer information drawing attention to a particular interactive opportunity - such as a quiz or to highlight that there are general interactive viewer opportunities.

Unfortunately, we have no alternative manner of advertising interactive programme services without this symbol thus the design in software to remove the icon from display if found to be lessening the individual viewing enjoyment.

I was sorry to learn of your concerns with regard to damage to your television set. May I explain that Sky always advise customers to follow the manufacturer's instructions of their specific television set. Therefore, to ally your concerns, I would advise you to direct your question to the maker of your television to obtain their guidelines for any problems arising out of static pictures on screen.

However, I would like to confirm that all Sky channel pictures are transmitted within the technical specifications set down by the ITC.

Thanks, once again, for contacting us. We always welcome customers’ comments and actively encourage viewers’ feedback.

Yours sincerely

26. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    B*****ks.

They already set aside ad break time to hype the interactive services, as well as forcing most/all TV presenters to extol the virtues of the red dot at any and all opportunities. (good thing TV presenters don't have any credibility to begin with)

And Sky could quite easily add a user preference into their digibox software to allow viewers to remove the red dot permanently, but they don't. Because if they did, most people would disable it, and they wouldn't be able to constantly harass them for premium rate phone calls and pointless additional advertising disguised as interactive content.

27. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    The red dot is a damn site smaller than the channel logos. The response to Spidermanalf suggest Sky know the red dot can be a pain in the a**e so they they let you remove it - how gracious. WHAT ABOUT THE CHANNEL LOGOS, they are far more intrusive.