1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Annoyed by chroma bug on Pioneer 757

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Godfather, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    This hasn't been an issue before when I used the RGB scart output to my RPTV, but now that I'm using the progressive component outputs to my Sony VW12 projecting onto a 80' screen, I can see what the fuss is all about. Best (or worst) example is in the end title sequence in Blade 2 with red titles on a black background.

Could anyone recommend a sub £1000 player which doesn't have the bug? I don't care about CD playback as I have a separate CDP for that, and DVDA/SACD would be a bonus but far from essential.

I've done a search and the Denon players seem to be one of the few which don't suffer from this problem. What about Arcam?

Thanks.

2. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    no only the very latest denons dont suffer. the 2900 has it, the arcams have it as well but not too bad as some. so do toshiba but i think panasonic models are clear of it.
    your right though with a pj its horrible.

3. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    A friend of mine has offered to sell me his Arcam FMJ DV27 at a very good price, so I'll take a look at it tomorrow to see if it's any better.

4. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I've thoroughly tested the DV27A in my system and unfortunately I can still see the chroma bug. But it's such a nice looking player and matches up with the rest of my Arcam kit, and the price my friend is letting it go for is very tempting - so I think I'll go for it if I can sell my Pioneer 757.

5. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    it is a great deck. u could source out a secondhand iscan ultra as these have a chroma filter and so get rid of problem, or look to upgrade pj in time with one that has the faroudja chipset as these has chroma filter as well

6. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    How exactly would the Iscan Ultra (or any other scaler) fit in? Component output from DVD player to the scaler, then how does it connect to the projector? I've got component cables chased into the walls and ceiling to the projector but no VGA cable - would that be a problem?

7. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    no wouldnt be a prob. as component to scaler then component to pj. is how it would go. this will add a delay to video so best to use this option if your amp has an audio delay setting

( i think im right but best if u check to make sure)