Announcing: MediaMonkey 2.5.2 with iPod support

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by rustymonkey, Mar 27, 2006.

Tags:
  1. rustymonkey

rustymonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

fyi, MediaMonkey 2.5.2 has been released, and it includes numerous improvements related to iPod synchronization, along with improved CD/DVD Burning, and updated codecs.

In case you're not familiar with MediaMonkey, it's a music organizer designed for serious music collectors with large music collections. It tags, renames, looks up metadata & album art, levels volume, etc. Most relevant to iPod users, it imports play history and ratings from iTunes (other information is retrieved from tags) so that you can easily switch from iTunes to MediaMonkey without losing any data.

It's free, although there's also a Gold version available that adds some extra functionality.

If you want to check it out, see: http://www.mediamonkey.com/product_ipod.htm

Regards,
    Rusty

p.s. I hope this is useful information for the majority of you--I'm monitoring this thread, and if it isn't, I won't post such announcement to this forum in the future.

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    This is useful information, I didn't know there was any alternatives for iTunes. Must say iTunes so far has largely been OK for me, but MediaMonkey looks a very real alternative. I'm up to over 11,000 tracks and iTunes occasionally crashes with indigestion. Also one useful feature lacking from iTunes is the ability to "monitor" folders of your choice on the hard drive for updates (instead you have to manually use the add file to library option) - MediaMonkey seems to be able to do this.

How interchangeable are iTunes and MediaMonkey? Can they co-exist and be used at the same time (well, one after the other anyway?) (For info I don't keep my MP3's in the iTunes folders, they are separate folders).

3. rustymonkey

rustymonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

MediaMonkey (the Gold version at least) supports folder monitoring as you describe.

In terms of interchangeability between MediaMonkey and iTunes, the basic rules are:
    -You can use iTunes for synching Podcasts (if you want you could use Juice instead)
    -You can use iTunes for synching pictures and outlook data
    -You can use MediaMonkey for managing/synching anything music-related or for audio books
    -If you're using MediaMonkey for synching music, don't use iPod to synch music/audio books.

Note, however, that it's relatively easy to switch back from MediaMonkey to iTunes since MediaMonkey saves almost all metadata to track tags which can be read by iTunes.

Hope this answers your question.

-Rusty

4. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Would this sync an Archos AV400 (Videos, Photos and MP3's) with my PC as well as a couple of iPod Nano's...?
    I mentioned badapple in a previous post, but can't seem to get it to "plug-in" to iTunes....

5. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Would this sync an Archos AV400 (Videos, Photos and MP3's) with my PC as well as a couple of iPod Nano's...?
    I mentioned bad apple in a previous post, but can't seem to get it to "plug-in" to iTunes....

6. rustymonkey

rustymonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We haven't tested with the Archos Gemini 40x units, however, from what I see of the device's specs, it's a 'Plays for Sure' device, which means it _should_ work out of the box (MediaMonkey supports most MTP devices).

For more information about the different MediaMonkey portable device plugins see:
    http://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/webhelp/noframe/source/exporting tracks configuration.htm

If you do give it a try, please let me know how it works for you.

-Rusty