Annette Movie Review

Crazytactics

I was going to give it a try until I learned of the dreaded Corden being in it. If he is in a film it’s an immediate miss, talk about the opposite of star attraction.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
This sounds kind of similar to "Dancer In The Dark", directed by Lars von Trier.

I suppose you either love or hate the way Arthouse stuff like this is represented on screen, the style being just as important as the content.

Last edited:

James McLeish

Novice Member
I was going to give it a try until I learned of the dreaded Corden being in it. If he is in a film it’s an immediate miss, talk about the opposite of star attraction.
The dreaded Corden is NOT in this film.

He is in the film Cinderella, which this film is being compared to.

keithwiggins

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Thanks Cas.
Oh, Dear...& I have a lot of time for Driver

Evinger

Distinguished Member

PlexShaw

Whilst I found the ending somewhat redeemed what had gone on before, the main issue with this film is that Driver's character is so horrid that it makes it very difficult to care about what is happening. Cotillard is poorly served (except in the biblical sense ;)) by the story and Helberg is criminally underused. Ultimately, a bit of missed opportunity.

Just watch Edgar Wright's wonderful doc The Sparks Brothers instead.

gadget man

I wished i had seen this review before i watched this pathetic so called movie. The worst film i have ever seen and most critics including kermode praise it. Cas your score of 4 is very generous i rate it ZERO.

groucho marx

agree witrh the review ,far to pretentious for its own good,i like a lot of adam drivers stuff and marion cottilard is a good actress but this is a waste of time,i think you can really gather that from the trailer,a waste of an evening

Plumsandpearls

Distinguished Member
This sounds kind of similar to "Dancer In The Dark", directed by Lars von Trier.

I suppose you either love or hate the way Arthouse stuff like this is represented on screen, the style being just as important as the content.
I love dancer in the dark. First time I saw it I was numb at the end.

Coulson

Distinguished Member

Amelie could be considered arthouse in style, whimsical and very French. But it has over 250,000 reviews on RT with an audience score of 95%. It can be done.

Plektrum

As a bit of Carax fan I think I was pre-disposed to like this and I knew exactly what I was going to get...so unsurprisingly I enjoyed it though not my favourite of his films (that's probably Mauvais Sang) but given his films are so rare, it feels like a treat when they do emerge and honestly I still love there are filmmakers (and cast) so willing to swing for the fences irregardless of how it lands.

Thought the songs were overall good (but I think So May We Start at the beginning was the high point and a shame we didn't get more of those pop hooks throughout) and the use of puppetry for the title character actually kind of worked even though it does threaten to take you out of the film at times...

Still inclined to agree that it's very much one for Sparks and Carax loyalists - and may be a little too out there for others (overhearing some fellow audience members after the screening, you can tell they were clearly not prepared!).

Tim2049

I somehow managed to simultaneously love and loathe Holy Motors in equal measure.

Annette may turn out to be pretentious twaddle, but I'm still pleased that such distinctive, experimental filmmakers exist.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Every star has a misstep.

Step up Adam Driver. Always best to get it out the way.

Although he did have The Dead Don't Die as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

StormAudio launches ISP Core 16 AV processor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cabasse launches limited edition Pearl Pelegrina speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar