• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Anne Marie Morris MP (Conservative) - Stay or Go?

Pecker

Distinguished Member
I think it's a disgusting thing to say.

I could just about accept that a normal and old-fashioned person might ill-advisedly use the phrase without thought. But we're talking about an MP who must surely be aware how important it is to be careful about how you phrase things in private conversations, let alone in a public speech.

She's either unapologetically racist, or incredibly stupid and thoughtless, subsequently unfit to represent her constituents.

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and accept it as the latter.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
It's political correctness gone mad.
Have you read her quote? I am not going to repeat it here but it can be seen on the BBC link. Coming out with it in that context seems to suggest almost casual use of the term which makes it even worse IMHO. I wouldn't accept that from one of my employees let alone from a public official who should maintain the highest of standards.

D

Deleted member 27989

It's political correctness gone mad.
I'm not sure what you mean by that? I see no political correctness in being against what she said?

I can't help but wonder why wasn't she sacked. I really hope it is due to following the correct procedure as being suspended really isn't good enough in my opinion.

rancidpunk

In Memoriam
Her language would constitute gross misconduct in many a work place, I don't see her position as anything other than untenable.
I don't buy her apology either, just how can you say that unintentionally? What else is in her vocabulary if her sub conscious spits out that little gem?

D

Deleted member 27989

Her language would constitute gross misconduct in many a work place, I don't see her position as anything other than untenable.
I don't buy her apology either, just how can you say that unintentionally? What else is in her vocabulary if her sub conscious spits out that little gem?
I agree. To me an that apology makes it worse. Really don't get what's wrong with her.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
Apologies... I was being sarcastic.

Yes, of course she should go. If I used a word like that the very least that would happen to me is suspension followed by common sense training. In practice I'd almost certainly lose my job though.

Unfit for her role.

Sonic67

Banned
Can't she say she has diabetes and she misspoke?

Enki

Banned
It's not a surprise, her partner has form her agent has form, it's logical humour for this type of person. It would be nice to believe Bill Cash or John Redwood handed in the recording, however, they could have called her out while they sat and listened...

Jezza99

Banned
There's no excuse, but I don't think she should be sacked. A model for punishment would be Naz Shah, who was suspended for a couple of weeks after her "Nazi" jibe.

D

Deleted member 27989

Can you sack an MP? Other than not voting for them.

I bet she has loads of black friends :D
Don't know. Perhaps the right word is expelled. Either way suspended sound lame. Continueing as an independent in the mean time is outrageous. I would not be happy if I was in her constituency.

D

Deleted member 27989

There's no excuse, but I don't think she should be sacked. A model for punishment would be Naz Shah, who was suspended for a couple of weeks after her "Nazi" jibe.
Why don't you think she should be sacked?

I know there are others who are much worse in my opinion, Dianna Abbot anyone?. However this is about this MP and I think it is wholly unacceptable and simple do not belief anyone says something like that by mistake. It's 2017 we should have zero tolerance for this.

I'll be severely disappointed by he Conservative party if they don't take this further than suspension if that is possible. Further more I'll be extremely disappointed if she came continues to remain an MP.

Jezza99

Banned
Why don't you think she should be sacked?

I know there are others who are much worse in my opinion, Dianna Abbot anyone?. However this is about this MP and I think it is wholly unacceptable and simple do not belief anyone says something like that by mistake. It's 2017 we should have zero tolerance for this.

I'll be severely disappointed by he Conservative party if they don't take this further than suspension if that is possible. Further more I'll be extremely disappointed if she came continues to remain an MP.

Well, precisely this, consistency. I think some of the things Diane Abbott and latterly, David Lammy have said are far worse, yet they seem to be immune from consequences.

Look, I'm not defending what she said, but this expression used to be fairly widespread, I think she used it unthinkingly, and without intent. As a kid, I remember " Eeeny Meeny...." etc being used as a common nursery rhyme. I was "guilty" of singing it, but I had no idea of the meaning, and had no intent of causing offence.

Things change over time, some people struggle with adapting to that change.

Jezza99

Banned
Crazy thought, but perhaps those people have no place as MPs?

Perhaps. But I think MPs are human, and entitled to make mistakes. The important thing is that they learn from those mistakes.

D

Deleted member 27989

Well, precisely this, consistency. I think some of the things Diane Abbott and latterly, David Lammy have said are far worse, yet they seem to be immune from consequences.

Look, I'm not defending what she said, but this expression used to be fairly widespread, I think she used it unthinkingly, and without intent. As a kid, I remember " Eeeny Meeny...." etc being used as a common nursery rhyme. I was "guilty" of singing it, but I had no idea of the meaning, and had no intent of causing offence.

Things change over time, some people struggle with adapting to that change.
I don't disagree about those others, including that previous London mayor as well. However this is about Anne Marie and not about them.

As an MP she needs to be aware of this. Besides the term is over a century old, she isn't. Slavery was a terrible act a very long time ago. There is zero excuse to even suggest it was a common phrase. It wasn't ok then, and it isn't ok now.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
Perhaps. But I think MPs are human, and entitled to make mistakes. The important thing is that they learn from those mistakes.

I disagree (about the mistakes part, and in some instances about the human part). They've set their heads above the parapet to say they're the best of us and they should lead us. They should be above this.

D

Deleted member 27989

Do you truly belief this is a mistake? I think the only mistake made is that she showed her tru colours in public. You don't just have phrases like that in your vocabulary. That is no accident.

D

Deleted member 51156

If it was just a foolish remark as she claims, then she is obviously not suitable for a her role, so she should do the 'Right' thing and resign, or she should be sacked, as for Redwood, he claims not to have heard what she said, as he wasn't listening. Why was he not listening in an important meeting discussing Brexit.. What is wrong with these people, we have conduct laws concerning behaviour and speech now, set by government, so she should abide by these laws and remove herself or be removed..
Good for goose and gander and all that..

Enki

Banned
As an MP she needs to be aware of this. Besides the term is over a century old, she isn't. Slavery was a terrible act a very long time ago. There is zero excuse to even suggest it was a common phrase. It wasn't ok then, and it isn't ok now.

It's Mays only redeeming feature of her political existence, her recognition of modern slavery. And now we have her own Brexit crowd trampling all over it, making jokes and metaphors about slavery of the past.

D

Deleted member 27989

If it was just a foolish remark as she claims, then she is obviously not suitable for a her role, so she should do the 'Right' thing and resign, or she should be sacked, as for Redwood, he claims not to have heard what she said, as he wasn't listening. Why was he not listening in an important meeting discussing Brexit.. What is wrong with these people, we have conduct laws concerning behaviour and speech now, set by government, so she should abide by these laws and remove herself or be removed..
Good for goose and gander and all that..
I have a little more sympathy for the others. I've been in several meetings where I really disagree, but I never wash our dirty linen in public. This particular situation is a difficult one as it was in public and do you draw more attention to it or deal with it later? Really hard and to me not as black and white.

However the excuse thereafter to not be listening is a bit lame. I'd have had more respect if they made a comment along the lines of what I said. Yet on the other hand, I do belief it could be genuine as well. Haven't we all been in meeting where you switch off. I'd be the first to admit to have used the phrase could you repeat the question again? ;) it may not be right but personally I do think that is a case of we are only human.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom