Anime title?

J

Julie Winston

I am trying to find out hte title of an anime. It is the life story of a man who survived the Horishima bombing. His family were killed but he survived and wrote his story.

Any offers on the title - then where to buy iy?

Thanks

Julie

Hadashi no Gen (Barefoot Gen)

Hi Julie,

Although you can buy the three-volume Graphic Novel of "Barefoot Gen" in an English-language translation in the UK, the anime film of the same name, is only available on Region 1 DVD, or as a Japanese import.

As far as I know, it's never been released at all (cinema, video or DVD) in the UK!

For more details, just click here.

Hope that's of interest.

Pooch

Thanks Pooch, now for another lunchtime of looking for the best deal. Never tried a graphic novel before...perhaps now is the time to try

Julie

Julie,

You should definitely give Japanese manga (comic books) a go! I would heartily recommend any of the following, depending on your own personal genre tastes:

- Akira (6 volume sci-fi/thriller, at about £23 each, by Katsuhiro Otomo)

- any works by female manga artist Rumiko Takahashi, especially the numerous volumes of "Urusei Yatsura" (aka "Lum"); "Maison Ikkoku", and "Ranma 1/2". They're usually comedy-based, with strong female characters winding the dumb men around their little fingers!)

- Fist Of The North Star (numerous volumes by Tetsuo Hara & Buronson. Don't buy, though, if you can't handle some quite bloody violence, and brutal martial arts scenes.)

- Crying Freeman (several volumes, buy again, they contain some quite bloody violence in them. Stories follow a young male assassin, who cries whenever he has to kill someone. He falls in love with one of his intended victims, and they have to try and avoid becoming another assassin's target.)

- DragonBall (Akira Toriyama's funny and acclaimed martial arts comedy, about a very young boy, who's also a clueless half-primate, trying to better himself and become the best martial artist in the world. Extremely funny, as it plays on the fact that the boy, Goku, doesn't have a clue about anything to do with humans and human thoughts. Some mild comic nudity, and some sexual innuendo, but nothing obscene or offensive. Buy the "DragonBall" series first, and see if you like it, as I think it's far superior to "Dragonball Z", where we follow Goku as a teenager.)

- works by Masamune Shirow, e.g. "Ghost In The Shell", "Dominion: Tank Police". et al.

Your best bet, for Graphic Novels and Japanese Manga, is your local "Forbidden Planet" or comics store. The staff in these places, should be able to give you a good basic knowledge of what stuff is available. Try and browse through a volume though, before you buy it, as the content may not be what you think. Japanese law and society have different rules about what is or is not acceptable to be drawn, so you may find some of the material "inappropriate".

"Forbidden Planet's" mail-order site is at:

http://www.forbiddenplanetstore.com/acatalog/Dark_Horse_Graphic_Novels.html

"Dark Horse Comics" do print a large amount of Japanese Manga, which has been faithfully translated into English. This may be a good place to start.

If you need any more help, you are welcome to PM me or e-mail me at:

[email protected]

Pooch :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom