1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anime R2

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Joint, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Joint

Joint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any animes lined up to come out in R2?

I want Akira, but for various reasons I'd rather not buy the great R1 version.

So, any news on R2 anime, or anywhere I can find out about it? :confused:

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Joint,

I'm afraid you are going to be in for a long wait when it comes to anime titles on Region 2.

The only titles that I know, that have recently been released is:
    - Bubblegum Crisis 1 (Episodes 1-3) (Subbed)
    - Bubblegum Crisis 2 (Episodes 4-6) (Subbed)
    - Bubblegum Crisis 3 (Episodes 7+8, plus extras) (Subbed)
    - Riding Bean (Dubbed version only)
    - Princess Mononoke (Subtitled with book)

Why is it you don't want/ can't get access to Region 1 anime? I mean, that's going to be the best choice for you, as "Akira" is unlikely to get an R2 release for ages, and a lot of the R2 DVD's are also dubbed, or heavily censored, or else, simply really poor quality titles. There are the occasional exceptions, however.

Pooch

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently you can get the new Street Fighter Alpha movie on Region 2 DVD, I know this cos I've seen it in Virgin Megastores down town recently for £20.

Whether this is classed as anime I dunno, and to be honest I don't care, I just thought I'd mention it to you all!

4. Beek1

Beek1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Guys,

If you're interested I've been ringing 'round a few companies in the last few days to find out what's happening with anime on DVD in the UK. MVM is hard at work on securing UK licences for a few titles and series (including the intriguing sounding Blue Gender- it's apparantly a bit like Starship Troopers), Bandai is kicking off a line of uncut Gundam Wing DVDs in February, while Manga Video has X set for release in February and Akira in April. No word on extras for Akira yet, but as a major fan of the film and an owner of the R1 Special Edition, believe me when I say that I've made sure that they're aware of exactly what their release has to compete with. Sadly no word out of Disney yet regarding the rest of the Hayao Miyazaki catalogue... a damn shame as I really want My Neighbor Totoro on DVD right now!