1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anime on R1?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Darth Vader, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Do "Akira" and "Ghost in the Shell" exist as R1 DVD's?. I've just done a search on Play.com and come up with nothing. I know they exist on R2 DVD but would prefer the R1 version. If they do and Play.com just don't stock them, can anyone recomend another online retailer that does?.

Thanks in advance.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Akira definitely does......it was in a limited edition tin and all the trimmings. You a version from movietyme.....but in my opinion they are pi** awful, so try somewhere else......i think futureent have it.

ad

3. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  4. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lex.

I have looked at LVS and they indeed do have both Akira and Ghost in the Shell on R1, but the site is a bit vague with details. Can you help me out by telling me what languages it/they are in?. As I would prefer the original japanese versions over the dodgy english dubs.

Cheers

Ash.

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  6. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Lex :)

Just ordered it at LVS, should be with me next week.

Many Thanks.

Ash.

7. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Darth,

*** WARNING! ***

Don't buy the R2 version of "Ghost In The Shell", as all the DVD-Rom only features are available on the R1 DVD, and accessible via any regular DVD player as "Extra Features". Plus, there's no "lip-synch" and "widescreen ratio" problems, that plagued early releases of the R2 version!

The Extras on the R1 and R2 DVD's of "Akira" are different! So, if you want the complete set, you'll need to get both releases. (The R2 version is out on Monday 18th March.) Major pain in the rear-end!

Why Pioneer (who are releasing it in both the US and UK) couldn't get their act together and just compile together one Deluxe Edition with all the soundtracks in 5.1, AND all the extras from both regions, I don't know!!!

Just in case, you may want to check out these sites for future reference about Anime on DVD.

AniMania - http://www.wildcoast.org/dvd

Anime On DVD - http://www.animeondvd.com/

Anime Otakue - http://www.anime-otaku.com/

Anime Turnpike - http://www.anipike.com/

DC-DVD (Click on the genre section and highlight "Anime"!)
    http://www.dc-dvd.net/

Pooch
    (Anime Fan and Forum Moderator!)

P.S. Addendum - I have just seen the UK packaging for "Akira", and have to say, that once again, UK DVD owners have been given a really cheap cardboard case, that looks pretty ropey, to say the least. The only decent difference, is that the UK gets a set of reasonably cool "Akira" stickers! And the "Extras" list doesn't look half as good as the US set. Can someone tell us all what the UK set is actually like, if and when they buy it? Thanks!

8. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry PoochJD

I did not make my self clear properly on my reply to Lex, What I meant to say was that I had ordered both movies on R1 DVD not just Akira. Sorry for the confusion I caused!.:rolleyes:

But thanks very much for your reply and concern.:) The links you provided were very helpful, and I have added them as favorites in my browser for future use.

Cheers agian.

Ash.

9. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I bought the Region 2 version of Ghost in the Shell (it was cheap in the sale), but ut was unwatchable due to the sync faults so I took it back. It seems unbelievable that a DVD with such a major flaw (ie it was unwatchable) was

a) released in the first place, and

b) never recalled!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To Lex and everyone else who replied to this thread.

My R1 "Akira" and "Ghost in the Shell" arrived yesterday, and I have just finished checking them out.

My verdict is.........:D :D :D :D

The Akira DVD is just brilliant, the picture transfer is amazingly clear and vibrant. The remixed 5.1 dub is much better than the original english version (although I still prefer the original japanese pro logic version!). The extras are also very good and varied.

The Ghost in the Shell DVD is also a great disk, but not in quite the same league as the Akira package.

If any one else is thinking about trying out Japanese Anime DVD's, I can thoroughly recomend both these titles.

So thanks to everyone who replied to this thread.

Great advice.

Ash.