1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Animation software for mpg video

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Gary Lightfoot, May 18, 2005.

1. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    Hi,

I'd like to be able to do some falling text similar to the opening title of 'The Matrix' movie. I just need to be able to drop down the title letters/fonts as the opening mpg is playing. I'm not after the entire green falling text background, just the main title effect that spells out 'The Matrix'. Does that make sense?

I have Premiere, but I've a feeling I might need to do this on a frame by frame basis as the letters need to follow some things on the mpg video, so I might need to convetr the mpg to avi for frame by frame 'animation'. It's only a 20 to 30 second clip.

Any suggestions?

Gary.

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You will hate this but it will work - just take all day!

Create the title as a BMP and manually edit it in paint for each frame. Then import back in as 1/25" of a second each.

Scary but free!

I could do the same in some free ULEAD software but never bothered.

If you have to change an AVI export each frame as a BMP, interlacing will get kept!

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    Decent compositing package like after effects or better is what you want.
    There might be some tools in premiere that will handle this.

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    Hi Martin,

I've done something like that already using jpgs and a paint program. That seems to work but how do I export them back to an mpg? That will be my best option right now I think.

Hi Keith,

I can try after effects but I remember looking at it and thing "what do I do"! :)

I guess I'm after something without a steep learning curve after it took me ages to get Encore under my belt. I'll go that route if I have to, but something like Martins idea seems favourite at the moment.

Thanks.

Gary.