Animal Crossing

t-force

Prominent Member
Reaction score
This upcoming Gamecube game looks to be extremely interesting; I know that Nintendo are relocalising it for the US (removing Japanese holidays, and putting in Independence Day, Thanksgiving etc.), but does anyone know if they'll do the same for the European release? If they handle it correctly, this could be one of the most original games ever.

Just read some news on this game and i'll agree it does look interesting, particualrly the way it runs in real time...........

but, what is the aim of the game, just to exist or is there more to it?

Glad to see that there is some interest in this game at least. Right, as for Nintendo re-scheduling the whole game for a european audience... IMO I don't think they will but then they haven't given a release date for Europe at all. Why? Because games like these don't often do well (thats another reason why I opted for an NTSC Gamecube).

If Doshin the Giant does well in Europe then it will pave the way for titles like Animal Crossing, to pretty much quote from Nintendo themselves. Doshin will be the acid test for future Nintendo european releases unless theres a huge outroar for Animal Crossing.

As for the ultimate aim of Animal Crossing - Its communication.

Nintendo originally had this title down as on online title where people can visit eachothers houses and town and communicate, either directly, via letters or other means. It also has trading elements so for example lets say if you planted a tree and it grew apples then that fruit would be unique to you. Then a mate on his console also had a tree but it grow oranges only. You could then visit your mates village and unique people by putting your mem card into your mates GC and trade fruit.

Not very well explained but I think you get the picture. You should be able to trade fruits, money, clothers, furniture and other items to basically make your village more unique.

I should also add that the villages are randomly made so its never the same place twice and each save game can support up to 4 gamers.

Nintendo's main example would be a family one - Say your kids have been playing the game last night and they had extra items to share. They could write a letter in the game to their parents and ask them to trade. The kids shoot off to school and Mum has a go. She plays for a while, reading the letters posted by her kids and she could reply with her own message. Kids come home and boot up the GC only to find new items in their own house thanks to mum. Kids go out to check on dads house only to find it a mess and full of cockroaches because he hasn't tidied the house <g>

Badly explained example once again but thats just one possibility. The characters you meet in the game will also remember you and anyone living in the village. So lets say that dad hasn't played the game for a while. The village cheif would knock on your door asking if dad's alright because he hasn't been out, etc.

Another good plus is GBA connectivity. With the GBA you can design your own patterns and logos for wallpaper, clothes and items. You would also need a GBA to find a secret location in the game to earn extra cash (or bell, as the currency is known in Animal Crossing) and secret items.

I'll stop here to keep the readers awake from this long post, but I haven't touched the surface of this game yet. Not everyone will love this game purely because of the graphics and gameplay. Ones that give it a chance though would, and the same goes for Harvest Moon.

Well, that sound typically Japanese and typically Nintendo. With that kind of game i personally can't see it getting a European release much like some of the other 'so called' classic games that our Japanese friends benefit from.

Can't really see much point in importing these type of games anyway as you can't understand whats going on because of the Jap text.

On a topic thats slightly off, what was the name of those home PC's that the Japs released that were all compatible with each other, about the time of the Commodore 64??

Another good idea that went pear shaped in Europe!

hmm, basing this release on Doshin will be a bad idea. Doshin is pretty much Black and White from what I have seen on the reviews and is much more limited. The reviews I have read so far have said that Doshin is not really very good, it looked pretty cool at the preview stage.

I think the japanese games market needs to open up a little, some titles are bad ideas abroad, such as Fun Fun kinky housemaid adventure but others are great ideas and would fare well in Europe. You think they would have learned from Chronotrigger, FF series (well they caught on at 7) and FF Tactics, Geoman (that eventually arrived), Harvest Moon, Advance Wars series, Tactics Ogre etc etc

So many great Jap games (possibly some of the greatest games ever made!) and never seen the light of day over here.

If you really wanted to get Animal Crossing then the USA version would be your best bet. Its better than nothing I suppose plus itll keep you busy until the Gamecube gets the latest Harvest Moon game first.

As for the japanese developed PC.. I haven't got a clue. I know they released the Turbo-SFX and Turbo-16... Which were basically SNES' in terms of hardware.

It is a big risk to base Animal Crossing from Doshin... It would have been better the other way round but the translation for Animal Crossing would have taken a fair bit of time. Remember both games are not totally different from its N64 original... Doshin was first an N64DD game then its sequel used extra RAM on the cart to simulate the N64DD. Hell even Nintendo's SD-Adapter resembles N64DD technology... Thats why we probably haven't heard more of it...

Many japanese games would have sold well in Europe but I remember in the 16-bit era how quite a lot of people in the UK esp. were against RPGs. Basically I couldn't believe how people could hate this superb genre and it was only until glimpses of Final Fantasy VII came out that made it into a mass market genre.

Rather sad really because there were games like Final Fantasy III, Chrono Trigger, Seiken Densetsu 3 (the true Mana sequel), Treasure Hunter G, Mario RPG, Bahamut Lagoon, Lufia II, Tactics Ogre and Fire Emblem just to name a few... All of which were on the SNES.

After many MANY complaints to Square about not releasing Chrono Cross and XenoGears in europe they said it was Crave's (or Infogames.. I can't remember) fault because they had told Square that RPGs don't sell in europe. I think it was Infogames... But they have now long since gone and EA has joined up with Square in the USA. Square has promised more releases in Europe and it was backed with Parasite Eve II, of which the original didn't make it over here.

At least now they know RPGs is probably one of the largest genres in the videogame industry.. Thanks to FFVII. Lets hope that they at least bring XenoSaga, co developed by Capcom, and Chrono Break or whatever they decide to call the sequel.

Hehe went well off topic there ^_^ So I'll end with this lil extra that most of you know already.. Animal Forest + in Japan came with a free mem card as did Resident Evil. Animal Crossing US will also come with a free mem card.

I'm still fuming from the non-release of Chrono Cross. I discovered Chrono Trigger about 3 years ago, on a word of advice from a mate, on hearing I really enjoyed FFVII, and I used Snes9x to play it. I've tried to find an import copy of Cross over here, but to no avail.

Those PC's were called MMX or something like that, all the major companies made them like Panasonic, JVC and the like......it's driving me mad now!!!

T-Force, same here mate its is a pretty classy game but I can understand why some people might not like it. I imported mine for £20, original 2nd hand, mint condition. Also I forgot to mention Valkyrie Profile on the PSX.. Both of which are on sale at www.dvdboxoffice.com if you want it. They don't have XenoGears though since thats pretty much a cult classic and rather rare to find an new, sealed copy.

I first heard about Chrono Trigger via the official Nintendo mag back in the day... They had a full 4 page import review of the game and once I set my eyes on it, it was a must have game. Now I really regret not importing the title since some places sell the game for £100. Had the game via emulation for a good few years but my gamesave was deleted >_< Same for Seiken Densetsu III.

At least Square has woken up to the RPG potential un Europe... I wonder if Enix are listening... (Damn I want Star Ocean III and Dragon Quest VII).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom