Angela Black (ITV)

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Upcoming a psychological domestic abuse thriller starring Golden Globe winner Joanne Froggatt

Press release
ITV commissions Two Brothers Pictures’ new gripping psychological thriller Angela Black

Michiel Huisman and Samuel Adewunmi confirmed alongside Joanne Froggatt as production commences in London

Acclaimed British actress Joanne Froggatt will return to ITV starring in its brand-new Hitchcockian thriller, Angela Black; a 6x60’ psychological drama produced by multi-award-winning production company Two Brothers Pictures, in association with all3media International, and written by BAFTA-nominated and Emmy® and Golden Globe®-winning producers and screenwriters Harry and Jack Williams (The Missing, Liar, Fleabag).

Golden Globe® and BIFA-award winner and three times Emmy® nominated Joanne Froggatt (Liar, Downton Abbey) takes on the role of Angela, a suburban housewife whose seemingly perfect life isn’t all it appears to be. Also cast is Michiel Huisman (The Age of Adaline, Game of Thrones, The Haunting of Hill House) in the role of Angela’s husband Olivier, and BIFA-award winner Samuel Adewunmi (The Hatton Garden Job, The Last Tree, Stan Lee’s Lucky Man) who will star as enigmatic stranger, Ed.

Angela Black’s life appears idyllic: a lovely house in suburban London, days working as a volunteer at the dogs’ home, two wonderful sons and a charismatic, hard-working husband, Olivier (Michiel Huisman). However, beneath this façade of charmed domesticity, Angela is also the victim of domestic abuse.

Trapped in a relationship she cannot escape, Angela is approached out of the blue by Ed (Samuel Adewunmi), a private investigator, who spills Olivier’s darkest secrets. When faced with some horrifying truths about her husband, a stunned Angela is left reeling. Can she really trust Ed? Can she leave behind her life as she knows it and finally free herself from Olivier? With one encounter, Angela’s life switches from school runs and the dogs’ home to private detectives and buried secrets as she risks everything she holds dear to fight back against the man who has suppressed and tormented her for most of her life.

Joanne Froggatt said “I am honoured to be working with Two Brothers Pictures again and this important and timely story from the brilliant Harry and Jack Williams is like nothing I’ve read before. Angela is a complex and intriguing character and I hope audiences will be immediately drawn into her gripping, and sometimes heart-breaking journey, just as I was”.

Michiel Huisman commented “I’m proud to be part of such a thrilling and clever story with so many twists and turns. I can’t wait to take on the role of Olivier and work alongside the incredibly talented Joanne and Samuel.”

Samuel Adewunmi added:

“I always find myself drawn to characters like Ed when watching/reading dramas and it’s no different with Angela Black. That coupled with the opportunity to collaborate with Craig Viveiros (again) as well as Harry and Jack Williams on a compelling story like Angela Black is very exciting and fortuitous when considering the impact 2020 has had on all industries including film and TV. I feel blessed.”

The series been commissioned for ITV by Head of Drama, Polly Hill, who said:

“Angela Black is a gripping thriller from Jack and Harry Williams. They are masters of surprising storytelling and there are some wonderful twists in this compelling tale. I’m delighted they have written Angela Black for ITV and that Joanne Froggatt will play the lead character.”

Harry and Jack Williams, Writers and Managing Directors of Two Brothers Pictures added:

“We are thrilled to be working again with the brilliantly talented Joanne, and to have her joined by such amazing actors as Michiel and Samuel is more than we could have hoped for. This script is unlike anything we’ve written before - and there’s no one better than Craig to bring this dark, Hitchcockian psychological thriller to life"

“Angela Black is that rare series – a slick, twisty thriller that keeps us guessing, while also excavating the issues of control and manipulation,” said Katherine Pope head of Spectrum Originals. “I couldn’t imagine a better team with the Williams brothers at the helm and the brilliant Joanne Froggatt bringing ‘Angela’ to life. With the wildly talented Michiel Huisman and Samuel Adewunmi rounding out a stellar cast, this series will captivate audiences until the very end.”

Angela Black is filming in London and the surrounding area this month and will be adhering to the TV and film production industry-wide health and safety guidelines published in May, alongside the recent guidance developed by all UK broadcasters, the Association of Commercial Broadcasters and On-Demand Service (COBA) and Pact.

Angela Black is a Two Brothers Pictures (an all3media company) production, headed up by award-winning writers Jack and Harry Williams (The Missing, Liar, The Widow). With a reputation for creating powerful drama and compelling, insightful characters, Jack and Harry Williams will executive produce the series alongside Two Brothers Pictures Head of Drama, Christopher Aird (Baptiste, Liar, Clique) and Sarah Hammond (Fleabag, Back to Life). Angela Black will be produced by Natasha Romaniuk (Fleabag, The Spilt S2) and directed by Craig Viveiros (Rillington Place, And Then There Were None). Angela Black has been commissioning in the UK by ITV and by Spectrum in the USA. The show is produced in association with all3media International, the global partner on the drama handling international sales.

No type casting of sorts then. I'd be amazed if she turns into the avenging victim angel; who gets away with ridiculous things, in the name of they had it coming. /cynicism.
Although the name is, at least, up for irony in the days of casting choice.

Episode 1

It was alright sometimes a tad drawn out

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom