1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Angel Heart

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by cranium, May 11, 2004.

1. cranium

cranium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone know which is the best version to go for? There is a new spec ed R1 due out soon with DD5.1 whilst the R2 has only DD stereo but has got a companion booklet (but this seems hard to get hold of). Is the new R1 cut?

Cranium

2. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    If it's the same as the US cinema release, then yes and no.

The sex scene between Mickey Rourke and Lisa Bonet that went uncut in the UK, was deemed too explicit for an R rating in the USA.

However rather than just trim the scene, Parker removed what the US censors objected too and edited in some alternative footage (was shown ages ago in this form on ITV - think it was more footage from the voodoo ceremony / orgy that was spliced in).

So although the naughties are cut, there is some footage not seen in the UK version in its place. However the UK R2 version is the director's originally intended version.

And the book with it is quite hefty and rather good, however, a sticker on the cover of my copy states that the book - "The Making of Angel Heart - Beat by Beat" - is a limited edition.

3. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The new R1 Special Edition is a good price from here, but still an 'R' rating. I had assumed that the R1 versions were uncut, as they apparently include a cockfighting scene which was cut for the UK versions. I already have the original R1, but have never actually got round to watching it, and have only ever seen the R2. Very good film though.

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Just a note on the PQ of the R2....It's very poor, mainly in the faces. Not sure of the technical term but they look very 'smudgy' when an actor moves his head.

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Alas, there is no "definitive" version, that includes both all the nudity and all of the cock-fighting scenes. It's one or the other, I'm afraid: Region 1 has the cock-fights, but not the nudity, and vice-versa for Region 2.

Pooch

6. Will K

Will K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. cranium

cranium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info. I think I'll go for the R2 with book (assuming I can find a copy as it was limited) as I'd rather miss the cock fight.

What I'd really like is a fully uncut R2 with DD5.1 and a companion book. Amazing how you never quite seem to get everything in one box. It's almost like they want you to buy every new edition...............

Cranium