Angel Heart Blu Rau UK or US?

soundstory

Hi,

The title says it all.

I love Angel heart but hear conflicting opinions over the US & UK discs.

I'd appreciate your opinions.

Also is the US disc region free??

HugoFJH

I have the Optimum (18/UK) release, which is ok for what always appeared to be a relatively budget film in the first place

dont ask me about edits etc though, but it sounds / looks good enough to me

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Or the UK one from Amazon for £4.99! :eek:

Did a bit of investigating and it seems the US region-free has extras and the UK doesnt. UK has Dolby HD 5.1 and the US has DTS HD MA 5.1. I also think the UK one is cut very slightly (a few seconds). Im not sure on any actual PQ differences but it does seem like the US one is the one to go for after all even though the UK one is dirt cheap. Ill be picking up the US one soon, probably after Xmas the way things are going!

Anyone who knows any different to the above, please reply. :)

Steve McQueef

Distinguished Member
Angel Heart Blu-ray (United Kingdom)

Claims that the UK is uncut and DTS-HD-MA.
If the cuts were based on compulsory animal cruelty guidelines, I don't see how it could possibly be uncut.

Take anything posted at that den of idiots, with a huge grain of salt.

The BD.com screenshots don't look like an indicator of quality, for either release.

Last edited:

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Angel Heart Blu-ray (United Kingdom)

Claims that the UK is uncut and DTS-HD-MA.
If the cuts were based on compulsory animal cruelty guidelines, I don't see how it could possibly be uncut.

Take anything posted at that den of idiots, with a huge grain of salt.

The BD.com screenshots don't look like an indicator of quality, for either release.

Ta. I think im going to go for the US one anyway. I wasnt expecting it to look great but it should be a damn sight better than my ancient ropey old DVD I think!

Weird though - blu-ray.com gave the US one 4.5/5 PQ and the UK one 3/5 PQ. What's the bet that its the same video on both? ;)

Last edited:

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Can I just clarify something please, regarding the US and UK film versions of ANGEL HEART?

There is no, single, uncut version of this film in existance, on any format - theatrical prints, VHS, DVD, nor Blu-Ray!

Alan Parker was forced to create two different editions of this film for the US and "Rest Of The World" markets. Both contain footage that is either truncated (for censorship reasons) or extended or altered, but neither print contains everything that the other one does! Even down, to singular frames being cut or added in some instances.

As such, the only way to see the film as full as possible, is to buy BOTH the UK and US editions of the film. The US version had Lisa Bonet's nudity toned down, as well as several other moments of stronger sexual material toned-down or cut, to appease the MPAA, whilst the UK had some of the blood-letting and scenes of real cockfighting removed or altered to appease the BBFC. Both versions are different, however, in what has been edited or altered!

There is no, singular, definitive and totally uncut version in existance, and there is unlikely to be anytime soon, as both the US and UK censors disapprove of different aspects of the film! Even UK TV has shown different versions of the film over the years, on different channels, on different occasions. :eek:

More information on these differences, can be found here as well as here and briefly here!

Thanks. :)

Pooch

Last edited:

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Hi,

Can I just clarify something please, regarding the US and UK film versions of ANGEL HEART?

There is no, single, uncut version of this film in existance, on any format - theatrical prints, VHS, DVD, nor Blu-Ray!

Alan Parker was forced to create two different editions of this film for the US and "Rest Of The World" markets. Both contain footage that is either truncated (for censorship reasons) or extended or altered, but neither print contains everything that the other one does! Even down, to singular frames being cut or added in some instances.

As such, the only way to see the film as full as possible, is to buy BOTH the UK and US editions of the film. The US version had Lisa Bonet's nudity toned down, as well as several other moments of stronger sexual material toned-down or cut, to appease the MPAA, whilst the UK had some of the blood-letting and scenes of real cockfighting removed or altered to appease the BBFC. Both versions are different, however, in what has been edited or altered!

There is no, singular, definitive and totally uncut version in existance, and there is unlikely to be anytime soon, as both the US and UK censors disapprove of different aspects of the film! Even UK TV has shown different versions of the film over the years, on different channels, on different occasions. :eek:

More information on these differences, can be found here as well as here and briefly here!

Thanks. :)

Pooch

Sorry Pooch but none of those links support anything that you're saying.

The imdb link merely states that the US theatrical release had to be cut, but then goes on to state that this was restored for video versions.

The movie censorship link compares the UK with the German DVD.

The final link just regurgitates what imdb says, and in reference to the Australian release no less!

The things you talk about - added footage that was 'put into' the US release? As you can see from your own imdb link, that was put into to the censored TV version. We're way past that now.

As far as I am aware, the US and UK cuts are identical but for the cock fighting sequence.

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi Casharlow,

As far as I am aware, the US and UK cuts are identical but for the cock fighting sequence.

Well, that's not what Alan Parker last said, at the BFI, when they last did a screening of this a couple of years back with him, and when I asked him afterwards about the two "versions" - US and Rest Of The World - that's what he told me, and several other people who were listening to his response. He seemed to be only too well aware that the home viewing versions in the US and UK (for DVD at the time) were both different, even excluding the cockfighting sequence edits. :confused:

I'm simply repeating what was said then. You are right, though, that having now looked at the links I listed, they do seem to dispute what I wrote.

If, since 2009, a longer or alternate version has been approved by the MPAA, then that's fair enough, but I was always under the assumption that there were two different versions, as Parker told his audience at the BFI Director Evening.

I guess without comparing the US and UK Blu-Ray's side-by-side, the issue of whether ANGEL HEART is truly uncut (bar the 4-5 seconds of cockfighting) will not be known. :( Apologies if I appear to have misled anyone in this thread. :eek:

Pooch

Mr Lime

Distinguished Member
I have the US version on blu-ray and it contains all of the "raunchier" Lisa Bonet material from the UK version that was originally cut from the US theatrical release.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom