AndyST's Semi-Dedicated Build Thread

AndyST

Established Member
Reaction score
Latest Update

ht2-91-jpg.161881

Master 'To Do' List

I'll keep adding to and updating this as I go along...

Designs:
  • Front Columns - Complete!
  • Column Covering Panels - Complete!
  • Bass Traps - Complete!
  • Diffusers - Complete!
  • Front Wall Layout - Complete!
  • Front Wall Layout - Complete!
  • Window Panels - Complete!
  • Ceiling - In Progress
  • Lighting - In Progress

Construction

Columns:
  • Front Right - Complete!
  • Center - Complete!
  • Front Left - Complete!
Column Covering Panels:
  • Front Right - Complete!
  • Center - Complete!
  • Front Left - Complete!
  • Center Right - Complete!
  • Center Left - Complete!
Bass Traps:
  • Front Right Column - Complete!
  • Center Column - Complete!
  • Front Left Column - Complete!
  • Center Left - Complete!
  • Center Right - Complete!
  • Rear Wall
Diffusers:
  • Rear Wall (3 - Prime 17, 2 - Prime 13)
Window:
  • Acoustic / Light / Heat Control Panels (6) - Complete!
Misc:
  • Lighting
  • Trunking / Cable Management

Software / Calculators Used

Last edited:
First column frame is 80% done, just a few more cross beams to add in. Was a lot more work than I expected, I should really invest in some power tools. Hopefully the next one will go a bit faster :rolleyes:

Here's my preliminary designs for the front wall. The custom equipment racks will be going in those 2 alcove areas, but I'm still working on the exact designs for them.

HT2-5.JPGHT2-6.JPG

Last edited:
I really like the look of your design Andy! Do your self a favour and at least get an power screw driver! I'm sure that now you've built one colum the other two will go up quicker.

A suggestion I would offer to you though would be not to use racks in the alcoves and site your other equipment out of site. I think it would spoil the look of your design and all those illuminated buttons drive me to distraction.

Keep us up to date with plenty of photos mate!

The first column is complete and in position:

HT2-4.JPGHT2-7.JPG

Pretty pleased it all went together without any problems, the benefits of thorough planning I guess :)

Picked up the materials for the 2nd one this morning so I'll be ready to start work on that tomorrow.

Last edited:
Almost done with my design of the power amp rack. Space for the 3 8000Ms I have at the moment with room for 2 more. Intending for that to be part of my next upgrade path, so every channel will have it's own monobloc.

HT2-8.JPGHT2-9.JPG

There's a gap at the bottom to draw in cold air and through each shelf in line with the 8000M's heat vents. So there will be no risk of any heat building up and it should have quite a nice airflow.

Similar to the columns I'm planning to attach panels to the frame and also have a hinged door at the front so everything inside can be hidden out of view. More on this once I've finished the designs.

Hopefully they will integrate well into the design of the front wall. There really isn't anywhere else they can go in the room.

Center column is almost done, should be able to get the last few pieces sorted tomorrow night. I tried a slightly different approach putting this one together. Instead of attaching the brackets to the cross beams first I measured out the main supporting beams and attached them where they needed to go on there. This way went a lot smoother as I didn't need to line up all the cross beams during the final phases of construction, they just slotted into place.

HT2-10.JPG

Picked up the materials for column 3 as well :)

HT2-11.JPG

Center column complete and in position.

HT2-12.JPGHT2-13.JPG

Last edited:
looking good, keep the updates coming :thumbsup:

Decided I need a break from column building this weekend. Instead I'm going to build the covering panels for the front right column, to see if it all goes together like I expect it to.

Here's the acoustically transparent cloth from Maplin (20m), and the wood for the frames.

HT2-14.JPGHT2-15.JPG

now I see the cloth, I understand what your doing, should be cool. The columns are they being left as untreated wood?

will be interested to see how the columns turn out, i've been thinking of adding some to my cinema room for a while

good job so far

now I see the cloth, I understand what your doing, should be cool. The columns are they being left as untreated wood?

That's the plan. Adding wood treatment to them would fill the room with VOCs for some time, and they really aren't nice things to be breathing in.

Here's the build process with a picture for each step:

• Place inner frame on the cloth.
  • Ensure cloth is pulled tight and staple to frame.
  • Trim excess cloth.
  • Attach outer frame.
  • The completed panel.
  • Attach to the column using velcro. Done!
HT2-16.JPGHT2-17.JPGHT2-18.JPGHT2-19.JPGHT2-20.JPGHT2-21.JPG

Using velcro to attach the panels means they can easily be taken off again when I get around to installing the bass traps, and if I need to change or rewire the speakers inside.

I have made a couple of basic errors... not taking into account the thickness of the cloth and velcro in the designs :oops: So the frames haven't lined up perfectly. I now have the additional offsets needed so the next ones should be perfect.

That finished column looks fantastic. Can't wait to see the rest of your project finished.

Is that fabric the same as speaker cloth? It looks more like a solid cotton type material from the pictures and if so could come in handy for a small project I want to do.

Is that fabric the same as speaker cloth? It looks more like a solid cotton type material from the pictures and if so could come in handy for a small project I want to do.

It's the KS50E felt speaker cloth, which is the thicker of the 2 they do. Hides what's underneath very well without affecting the sound passing through.

there`s a lot of bloody screws their though :eek: I bet yer arms dropping off :D

I've just worked out the numbers for this, there's 72 brackets in each column and at 4 screws per bracket that makes 288 screws in total :eek: No wonder they're taking me so long to build (pretty much an entire weekend each).

The result is worth it though, I can move the columns around without any flex or bending. They're completely rigid and should hold a decent amount of weight.

Third and final of the front columns is done.

HT2-22.JPG

Time to look at the bass trap modules that will be going inside them...

Prototype of the bass trap frame is done. Nice to see something go together so quickly after those darn columns :D

No brackets here as they don't need to bear any significant loads, just used the staplegun.

HT2-23.JPGHT2-24.JPGHT2-25.JPG

Fits nicely into both top and bottom sections as planned.

Need to get the Rockwool ordered now. In the mean time I've 5 more of these to build.

To determine the optimum density of rockwool for the size of my traps, I've run the figures through a Porous Absorber Calculator. Here are the results...

RS33: (33 kg/m3)
HT2-26.JPG

RS45: (45 kg/m3)
HT2-27.JPG

RS100 (100 kg/m3)
HT2-28.JPG

So, what do the graphs show? For a start at this thickness lower density is better, so I will be going with the RS33 slabs.

At higher densities the effect of having an air gap behind the absorber appears to be nothing, but at 33kg/m3 it does give slightly better figures right at the lower end. 25% absorption at 20Hz.

They are based on an angle of incidence of zero degrees, or the sound hits the surface perpendicularly. In the real world the overall absorption will be higher, presumably due to increased effective depth when sound waves go through at a diagonal angle.

Last edited:
Well isnt that pretty rockwool :)

looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Managed to get 3 of the bass traps done today, 5 more to go!

The build process:

• Cut the rockwool slabs into sections to fit the trap.
  • Insert the pieces into the frame.
  • For these traps I decided to use clingfilm to cover them, for two reasons:
  1. It will contain 100% of the rockwool fibres.
  2. It will reflect the higher frequencies, whilst being transparent to bass and mid range. The higher frequencies are already being absorbed by the carpet and other soft furnishings in the room, so I want to avoid making it sound too 'dead'.
  • Insert the finished trap into the column. Done!

HT2-30.JPGHT2-31.JPGHT2-32.JPGHT2-33.JPGHT2-34.JPGHT2-35.JPGHT2-36.JPG

They're not the most visually appealing things, but once the covering panels are applied they'll be hidden away out of sight :)

Picked up some more timber, should be enough to finish off the bass trap frames and all of the covering panels for the front columns.

Sorted out the straight pieces from those which are warped slightly. The straight ones will be used for the covering panels as these need to look spot on. It doesn't matter if the bass trap frames are slightly out of alignment.

HT2-37.JPG

Here's the pretty much final design plans for the front wall...

HT2-38.JPGHT2-39.JPG

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom