Android TV and playing 4K or high bitrate video

Nicolaas

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have the 49PUS7803/12 with Android. Low bitrate video's play fine, but media from USB or network share (both wired and wireless) play choppy in the default player.

Anyone else has the same issues with this tv or similar series?

I've done the updates, power off and on, tried different media, even from a USB3 stick the playback is choppy. What to do?

Both Kodi and VLC have less problems, but downmix the sound to stereo
The default player plays in DTS or DD5.1
Netflix also has no problem playing audio in 5.1

Is there a way to get Kodi to output 5.1 audio?

Also Kodi -> System settings -> Display -> General
Resolution 1920x1080p

Does this mean it's not playing in 4K? The settings cannot be changed.

Shit, I’ve totally forgot... Few years ago I participated on Philips Android TV contest and while developing a game, I noticed that although the TV has 4K display, Android apps can handle 1920x1080 only. So Kodi is downscaling.

Thanks for the info!

I checked the scaling of the video in Kodi while playing a 4K video. The scaling is 1.0 and the video plays full screen as expected without scaling, no zooming. I also compared the video in both Kodi and the default player. I think I can conclude the video is played on this Philips tv in 4k while the Kodi app itself runs at 1920x1080p.

Then there's still the audio issue with Kodi and VLC: they both don't output 5.1 audio through spdif. My amp doesn't have hdmi. The default player does output DTS and Dolby. Anyone?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom