Android Tablet install in Mazda 3

Concho

Standard Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd share this to show what I've just done in my Mazda 3 and maybe get some ideas on what I can add, do next.

I have a Mazda 3 sport, 2008 model with Bose, but wanted something a bit more. I was looking at the Chinese Android head units for quite a while but after a lot of research and debating with myself I went for an Android tablet instead.

I bought an Asus Google Nexus 7 tablet from ebay, second hand for £100 or so (with 3G), a sim card from giffgaff for cheap data every month, and a fascia kit on ebay for £17.

I then took a dremel to the fascia kit to sand it down so the tablet could sit quite close to the front, otherwise there would be a fairly big indent in the dash. I stuck it all together in a very high tech method - duct tape!! I decided I wanted to keep my current radio in and the full use of the info screen so I decided to power and plug in the tablet by normal car charger and 3.5mm plug, but wired these through the back of the dash under the handbrake and into the armrest, pretty easy really. I took the front fascia off the radio and tested it still worked, everything was fine and I still have all the control I want over it from the steering wheel controls.

The tablet is using an app called Tasker to come on when it receives power (when key is turned), and turn off when it loses power (turn key off)

Apps wise, I have Sygic & Waze for sat nav, Tune in for radio, Youtube and a few other for when I'm waiting to pick the missus up from work!

It was a very tight fit with the radio sitting in it's normal place and I could have done with a fraction more depth in the cavity, but for a first effort it's ok.

Here's a few pics, I did unfortunately scratch the fascia when sanding but I'm not too bothered as I'm glad I managed to do it, and I may end up buying another fascia as the first was more of a test.

WP_20140116_002.jpg

WP_20140116_003.jpg

WP_20140123_002.jpg

WP_20140123_004.jpg

WP_20140126_003.jpg

WP_20140126_005.jpg

WP_20140126_008.jpg

Brilliant - I've seen a build somewhere before where somebody used a Nexus 7 in their dash, but they got very involved with the wiring, taking the tablet apart to connect directly to the loom etc... which kind of put me off.

Your way seems a lot more straight forward for the same effect.

Have you thought about security at all? Maybe something that would hide the screen from the eyes of passing scrotes?

Love it! Thought about doing this with my civic. In the end I've settled for a Wonder Magnet on the dash which means I can swap my phone on it or nexus tablet. Audio out goes from the headphone socket via the car sound system.
Would rather have it inbuilt and wireless but this saves getting it fitted.

I'm actually in the process of doing this exact setup in my Mazda3 and the only thing that I've run into that I cannot for the life of me figure out is how to achieve the wake and sleep functions in Tasker like you stated. I don't suppose you would be able to walk me through how you did that would you?

Thanks for the great thread very helpful doing the same project myself what specific fascia did you use? Trying to pick the best one, also is that a 2013 Nexus 7?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom