Android Phone - Weekly (Sat) Internet/Data Charge - Scam?

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

Any one aware of some sort of scam where by you get charged on your mobile telephone bill each week.

My Mrs has been with Orange for years, currently on her first Android phone (11 months), just had a monthly bill and noticed for the last 3 Saturdays she has had a £1.25 charge for Data/Internet. She has called Orange and they are looking into it.

I was wondering if it is a dodgy app (she doesn't down load many, but the kids occasionaly have a play on the phone - e.g. angry birds/pinball), some sort of dodgy text/scam, or even something daft from Orange but I don't think it is.

If Orange come back with an answer I will post on here. Interested in what people have to say, my Mrs is normally very careful with giving out details/apps etc, so not sure how the charge(s) got on there!!!

Last edited:
Is she on a contract with data included? If so I know with my contract I sometimes get charged for data use inbetween when they remove the last months data and add the next months, this is then refunded on my next bill.

She is on contract, she does have data included (and had for the last year or so). Could be over run of data usage, say she has used her max (250/500mb + a weekly charge?) I doubt it.

Is she on a contract with data included? If so I know with my contract I sometimes get charged for data use inbetween when they remove the last months data and add the next months, this is then refunded on my next bill.

Is this with Orange? She has never had these charges before.

apparently I am wrong (Mrs just clarified), it is not a data charge, but a charge for an "app", so it seems an "app" maybe taking a weekly amount!!! Do any have permission to do this, I presume they are either free, or pay once?

Any one heard of "‘mobile village"?!

well if you downloaded a trial then ye they can charge if you set permission

you best unistalling app and reinstall to be sure its free and read the terms or whatever gets added for that app

cant your contract not find out where the money is going to

she does not have an App of that name.

just that you said Any one heard of "‘mobile village"?!

lol

there must be a way how you can find out who taking the money

Yeah Orange are looking into it, its perhaps something the kids have done!

I thought all android Apps went through googles payment system and therefore would not appear on an Orange bill?

I thought all android Apps went through googles payment system and therefore would not appear on an Orange bill?

Exactly! Will wait for Orange and advise back here.

I saw an article in the paper the other day and some game apps charge for upgrades of objects in the game like coins and things might be that. The article was in the Daily Mail 3 or 4 weeks ago??

Edit due to typeo lol

SteveCritten said:
I saw an article in the paper the other day and some game apps charge for upgrades of objects in the game like coins and things might be that. The article was in the Daily Mail 23 or 4 weeks ago??

Yeah quite a few game apps rely on in-app purchases, if one has kids it's a good idea to lock down the parental settings

We have noticed our bills being £10 or more over the £27 tariff so we phoned orange and they stated it is "image charges" what the hell is image charges so I said picture messages? Nope its not that... So I asked what is it then, Orange said its a company called "mobi village" an ifortune telling service??? who what how... I asked them how this has happened and they couldn't tell me anything but mobi village charge orange and they charge us. I looked at my wifes phone which she never takes of any messages and found a message from 60113 saying free message ifuntune sign up to stop receiving this message text the wors STOP on the 7th March 2012... No message was sent back to them on 7th April 2012 another message stating the same again we didn't reply to it.
Orange gave me a number to call 02087724859 so I did and spoke to a female called Tanya and I asked where I'm calling as she had an accent she stated capetown south africa... OMG SCAM ALERT!!!
She stated we signed up to a fortune telling service for £2 a week... NO WAY did we sign upto any service! anyway she said email us with details to send money back to you using PAYPAL??? Email address [email protected]
I said you are kidding you want me to send you my details... She laughed and that when I put the phone down on her!
I phoned orange back and told them that I'm taking them to watchdog and trading standards when the female said I will pass you on to a Manager after 15 mins on hold the manager said all the same rubbish as before but then said we will refund you the money that mobi village charged you... OH WAIT ORANGE JUST ADMITTED ITS THEIR FAULT
Anyway claim your money back from orange don't bother with this phone number orange give you and demand you said with a manager!!!
I have sent a long email to WATCHDOG about his please please send more and get this company SHUT DOWN...

We have noticed our bills being £10 or more over the £27 tariff so we phoned orange and they stated it is "image charges" what the hell is image charges so I said picture messages? Nope its not that... So I asked what is it then, Orange said its a company called "mobi village" an ifortune telling service??? who what how... I asked them how this has happened and they couldn't tell me anything but mobi village charge orange and they charge us. I looked at my wifes phone which she never takes of any messages and found a message from 60113 saying free message ifuntune sign up to stop receiving this message text the wors STOP on the 7th March 2012... No message was sent back to them on 7th April 2012 another message stating the same again we didn't reply to it.
Orange gave me a number to call 02087724859 so I did and spoke to a female called Tanya and I asked where I'm calling as she had an accent she stated capetown south africa... OMG SCAM ALERT!!!
She stated we signed up to a fortune telling service for £2 a week... NO WAY did we sign upto any service! anyway she said email us with details to send money back to you using PAYPAL??? Email address [email protected]
I said you are kidding you want me to send you my details... She laughed and that when I put the phone down on her!
I phoned orange back and told them that I'm taking them to watchdog and trading standards when the female said I will pass you on to a Manager after 15 mins on hold the manager said all the same rubbish as before but then said we will refund you the money that mobi village charged you... OH WAIT ORANGE JUST ADMITTED ITS THEIR FAULT
Anyway claim your money back from orange don't bother with this phone number orange give you and demand you said with a manager!!!
I have sent a long email to WATCHDOG about his please please send more and get this company SHUT DOWN...

iFortune is a mobile internet club operated by Mobivillage.
A customer must actively opt-in to a promotional campaign in order to join the service.
After joining the user is sent information on costs and how to leave the service. This information is also resent each month.
Our customer care number is 0208 772 4859. Our customer care agents are trained and monitored to ensure that they deliver the highest quality customer care. An investigation will be carried out to ascertain the causes of the failures in the above situation.
The correct email address for queries regarding iFortune is [email protected].
All our contact details can be found at uk.mobivillage.com

And yet again another unscrupulous company gets free advertising on avf, isn't there a way avf could charge these people for advertising.

And yet again another unscrupulous company gets free advertising on avf, isn't there a way avf could charge these people for advertising.

They do, soon enough a mod/super mod will be along shortly and change their username to 'Member 123456' until they set up a proper corporate username (I think it's their 'Assured Advertiser' programme, although I doubt AVF would want their money)

dc8900 is correct. Admin have already been informed :thumbsup: (within 4 minutes of them posting)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom