android media player ,technical config advice please

Discussion in 'Tablets Forum' started by bradowen, Feb 8, 2014.

1. bradowen

bradowen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi ,nice site ...

any experts out there that could help me please ..would be a great help ..cant seem to find an answer ..

i have a quad core android media player .. and a vpn to connect to america .. i find it can be slow .

i have been told that ,i can use a vpn only to login into nbc sports america ...then somehow config things on my network to then use smart dns which is faster ..

which i am hoping i can do..is this possible as smart dns cant be used on its own ..

would be brill if someone could help many many thanks

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,127
    So basically VPN is the full deal that makes you get access to stuff that is geo IP locked to USA.

SmartDNS is like VPN lite, using some trickery to fool the service into giving up the content but it doesn't always work.

Your VPN provider needs to supply a smart DNS service then on your Android box you must apply the DNS settings in the network. For example Overplay.net supply a VPN and smart DNS service and when given the IP address of their smart DNS server you manually change the DNS server in your networking settings, this iOS guide shows how but it would be the same for Android.

3. bradowen

bradowen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your reply friend .. i connect normally through rj45 to my android .. have i got to use wireless ..i can set a static ip on android then alter dns of say overplays in there ..is this right friend getting a little confused ..i think .. thanks.

4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,127
    The connection type does not matter (wired/wireless) but yes I think you do have to set a static IP in order to get access to the manual DNS server setting in Android.

Alternatively there is an app called set DNS you can use in conjunction with the automatic network settings of Android, the app only works on rooted devices but it can override the automatic DNS server.

5. bradowen

bradowen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    brilliant thanks ..i will give ago .. just hope that the vpn for the security side will let me get in ..or past the geo block lol .. thanks so much