Android M and Android Pay

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by rickflair, Jul 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. rickflair

rickflair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Today Apple have launched Apple Pay in the UK. In my opinion Google have been far too slow implementing fingerprint support into the Android operating system. They need to release Android M with Android Pay as quick as possible. They are massively falling behind Apple.

2. BigD18t

BigD18t
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,636
    It's very odd as Google had Wallet years before Apple Pay, but only in the US, Google phones have also had NFC chips much longer than Apple yet chose to only allow pairing, I would love to have my card stored as a payment device on my phone.

3. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,624
    Here in Australia my bank has put payments in to their app, contactless payments are much more common here but it's nice that the banks have done it themselves and not waited for Google and apple to sort it out for them

4. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,574
    Is that the sticky chip thing I have seen with Commonwealth? Solves all issues about needing to fork out on a certain phone with NFC and certain app and fingerprint support.

5. BigD18t

BigD18t
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,636
    Contactless payments are pretty common here also, but only for our Visa cards, most fast food chains, pubs, and super markets have the pdqs enabled, just no apps for our android phones.

6. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,624
    It's commonwealth bank but they've put tap & pay in their app now so you don't need the sticker. Barclay's did a sticker in the UK similar to CBA's one. I've not actually used it though as I just use pay pass in my card usually

7. BigD18t

BigD18t
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,636
    I applied for the sticker, never got one though, yet all of my cards have had them in the last few years.

8. PumpingtonSteel

PumpingtonSteel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Fully agree. Apple Pay is exceptionally handy. Android has flirted with the idea for far longer but like you say never got their act together.
    Contactless is almost ubiquitous in the UK and with transactions soon rising to £30, when android also eventually roll it out, it will represent the biggest shift in payment methods/habits since chip and pin.

9. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,624
    I wouldn't say is a huge leap beyond contactless payment though. It's strange as for this sort of thing Australia does seem leaps and bound ahead of the UK, their infrastructure for pay pass is everywhere and they offer services like cardless cash from the banking apps at ATMs and the pay pass limit is now $100 (£50). Strangely it seems apple pay isn't happening out here anytime soon though, they have a great set up for it but the banks are refusing to let apple take their profits away.

I did use the tap and pay once, it was cool, convenient, but not that much more convenient than tapping the card, if anything it was more inconvenient as I had to unlock the phone and then put the pin number in the app and explain to the woman what I was doing as she didn't know you could do that, the card just taps and works.

10. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,574
    +1 in Australia - tapping cards is incredibly widespread and the $100 limit is kind of right. I go to the UK at least once per year and the contactless terminals are few and far between in comparison.