Android Gurus - Application Font Colour\Brightness - Vary by phone ???

nheather

Distinguished Member
Wondering if any Android experts on here might be able to explain an issue I am seeing with an app downloaded from the Play Store.

There is some text and a value which on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 - Running Android 8) is barely legible because the font colour is only a little lighter than the dark background.

But I have seen it on other phones where the contrast is much higher and the text is easy to read.

There is nothing in the application configuration - it is an extremely simple and quite old app (last updated in 2017).

I'm wondering whether this could be a setting within the Android configuration - like setting the colour of default fonts - but I can't find anything.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

nheather

Distinguished Member
It seems to be something to do with the use of Android text style

?android:attr/textAppearanceMedium

which my Samsung S7 doesn't appear to handle correctly.

Cheers,

Nigel

prking

The S7 and other Galaxy phones have a choice of font. The non-default ones don’t always behave properly so it’s a good idea to check the font is set to the default.

nheather

Distinguished Member
The S7 and other Galaxy phones have a choice of font. The non-default ones don’t always behave properly so it’s a good idea to check the font is set to the default.
Thanks for the suggestion. The font is set to ‘default’. I did try changing to different fonts and I did see it get used in the application but this made it clear that the font isn’t the issue, it is the brightness of that font.

It isn’t a general screen brightness or contrast thing as most of the application appears normal, it is just one line that is barely legible.

I tried the same app on my son’s Pixel 3 and it shows up correctly on there.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom