Android Box Recommendations Please

Rowan146

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've a CRT TV that I'd like to connect a small media box to so that I can stream videos primarily Netflix and apps within XBMC. As a bonus I'd like to be able to run Twitch TV and the UK On-demand services.

Initially, I was considering a Raspberry Pi and run XBMC off it, however the lack of Netflix is unfortunate. I've also looked at devices like Roku (no XBMC) and Apple TV 2nd gen (too expensive). So then I discovered you can get Android mini pcs on a memory stick like the MK808. These look great but unfortunately they only have a HDMI out so no support for CRT TVs.

So would anyone be able to recommend any other Android Mini PC boxes which support A/V out also? Ideally my budget is around £50-£80 but I'll consider any recommendations. Thanks!:)

Netflix on Android boxes is a mixed bag (assuming it can run Netflix as not all can), the UI is designed for touch not remote control so your going to need a mouse.

Even if it runs there are plenty of issues (see this thread on Pivos forums), the Pivos XIOS is the official Android XBMC box. If you want to run XBMC with the least amount of issues then thats the box to get, keeping in mind its still beta software but seeing as it's HDMI only that rules it out for you.

You can run XBMC on other devices but it will be more unstable/buggy and may also loose hardware video decoding support, the MK80x sticks tend to use Rockchip which has a few bugs which break video playback on XBMC when using hardware decoding.

So back to the A/V out issue well you could get one of these, this is an Android box that uses hardware similar to the XIOS so you will at least get some level of hardware decoding in XBMC, it also has an A/V output so will work with your CRT (follow these instructions). You will want to take a read of this thread on the XBMC forums regrading the ATV1200 it has firmware updates and various fixes.

Looks pretty good :) Shame I'm going to have to pay an extra £40 for the composite ports compared to the 120 dongle :(

Well I have a HDTV but I wanted to get extra functionality on the CRT TV in the spare room as the picture, sound and set is still really good. :)

I'm after one of those as well and Pivos seems to be a good choice. The price puts me on hold for the time being. I was wondering if I can find something cheaper though. But saving a few quid might give me a headache later if the box is unreliable.

Anyone know if there is a newer model of the pivos due?

Anyone know if there is a newer model of the pivos due?

The do have a dual core M6 box in development, it was spotted in the code as Pivos are open source but there is no ETA.

On the upside a lot of people who have bought generic M6 boxes are being used as guinea pigs for debugging on the XBMC forums. So hopefully when Pivos release their M6 it will be a lot more polished than the competition.

The Gamestick device which is a dongle/gamepad it also an M6 device and they signed a support deal with Pivos but the Gamestick is Android only.

ATV1200 arrived today :)

Unfortunately I'm away until May before I can try it out! Will give impressions of it then particularly for anyone thinking of using composite.

Are any of these boxes I.e. Pivos, Midnight etc worth getting for xbmc playback?

Are any of these boxes I.e. Pivos, Midnight etc worth getting for xbmc playback?

The Pivos one is as thats only one with actual XBMC developers behind it at this time, the others dont have anyone.

Scott Davilla one of the main XBMC developers who ported XBMC to iOS/Android/AppleTV works for Pivos.

Keep in mind though these boxes are equivalent to XBMC running on an AppleTV with slightly better media support, an XBMC PC is still faster and more capable.

I suppose I'm still unsure whether to get a pivos solely for xbmc or a mini PC? Obviously price is a big factor, but as long as its not really expensive I may get something like a Lenovo or Acer instead.

I have been using an Acer Revo for the past year or so running XBMC and I have decided to get a dedicated media player that will just be used for XBMC.

After hours of research I have opted for the Pivos, which will arrive tomorrow. The first thing that I will do is flash the Pivos with XMBC Linux.

The reason for choosing the Pivos is that it's supported officialy by XBMC developers and the Pivos forums are excellent should I run in to any problems.

Was the revo not very good?

It's like any other PC really, the difference being no technical support unless your willing to do it yourself.

Wit the Xios you can ask Pivos for help specifically about it only running XBMC, you cant exactly do that with the Acer.

A PC equivalent to the Xios would the Pulse Box, that it a HTPC that is sold to run XBMC you can ask for help on their technical support forums.

The Revo is fine if it's a HTPC your looking for. I never used the Revo as a PC and it always annoyed me having to go through a Windows boot up every time I wanted to use XBMC.

I don't have a big set up, just an LG TV and a Bose Soundwave, so I was looking for something compact and for something that will just run XBMC and the Pivot seemed to be ideal.

You can get very similar devices, which have the same specs cheaper than the Pivos, but the Pivos has great support & help forums and the Pivos is backed by XBMC developers.

Where is the best place to get a pivos?

The Revo is fine if it's a HTPC your looking for. I never used the Revo as a PC and it always annoyed me having to go through a Windows boot up every time I wanted to use XBMC.

I don't have a big set up, just an LG TV and a Bose Soundwave, so I was looking for something compact and for something that will just run XBMC and the Pivot seemed to be ideal.

You can get very similar devices, which have the same specs cheaper than the Pivos, but the Pivos has great support & help forums and the Pivos is backed by XBMC developers.

Assuming you have an ION based Revo, why not just get rid of Windows and use the Openelec version of XBMC.
Openelec is designed to act as an appliance, so no Linux or Windows and is very quick to boot.

Assuming you have an ION based Revo, why not just get rid of Windows and use the Openelec version of XBMC.
Openelec is designed to act as an appliance, so no Linux or Windows and is very quick to boot.

I have tried several times and followed several tutorials but I never seem to get the Openlec version of XBMC & yes my Revo is ION based.

My Pivos Xios DS arrived this morning, set it all up and it is very good and then I realised that the box doesn't support my Bose USB wifi dongle and the box doesn't have an Audio out, so it's up for sale!

How much?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom