• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Android Box or Mini PC

Witterings

I've an old Android TV that's ground to a halt and can't keep up with 1080 / 4k and even opening the browser's painful so am looking to upgrade.

I've heard about Kodi but don't know that much about it but that there are various add ons available that some systems will allow you to install and others won't so ideally looking for something without any restriction in case I ever do want to install / use them.

Main requirements are:

Catch up TV so would ideally like easy access to that and will probably get a mini keyboard / mouse so easier to type titles to search.

At the moment I download films on a separate laptop and then have to transfer them to a memory stick and then take it and plug it into the box .... If I could have the option of being able to download straight to the device / SD card in it would be good.

Would like to start using Kodi as mentioned above .... I'm not sure if Mini PC's allow add ons or not???

Generally just using as a browser

I enjoy my music videos .... If I had a system with decent surround sound / DTS out may burn some of my favourite DVD's onto a USB hard disc and play them from there instead of the DVD player.

If anyone can suggest which may be better and generally what advantages / disadvantages one has against the other and any recommendations for either would be appreciated.

D

Deleted member 765458

I've an old Android TV that's ground to a halt and can't keep up with 1080 / 4k and even opening the browser's painful so am looking to upgrade.

I've heard about Kodi but don't know that much about it but that there are various add ons available that some systems will allow you to install and others won't so ideally looking for something without any restriction in case I ever do want to install / use them.
Main requirements are:

Catch up TV so would ideally like easy access to that and will probably get a mini keyboard / mouse so easier to type titles to search.

At the moment I download films on a separate laptop and then have to transfer them to a memory stick and then take it and plug it into the box .... If I could have the option of being able to download straight to the device / SD card in it would be good.

Would like to start using Kodi as mentioned above .... I'm not sure if Mini PC's allow add ons or not???

Generally just using as a browser

I enjoy my music videos .... If I had a system with decent surround sound / DTS out may burn some of my favourite DVD's onto a USB hard disc and play them from there instead of the DVD player.

If anyone can suggest which may be better and generally what advantages / disadvantages one has against the other and any recommendations for either would be appreciated.

https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_009170053505.html?wid=1433363

bubblegum57

Kodi can be installed on all types of hardware. There are addons that can be installed on any of these hardware types. Some addons like BBC iplayer can only be played in the UK.

Some addons allow you to stream movies, this is piracy, & even mentioning it on the Kodi forum could result in a ban.

Downloading movies, ie via torrents is not supposed to be talked about.

A cheap android device like the one in the above link, would be ok. You can install a kodi apk for android. But, if you want netflix, the box has to be certified, check the netflix site for certified boxes.

If you get a mini pc, again you can either install the windows version of Kodi, or Libreelec a linux version of kodi.

If, you rip cd's or dvd's you can copy to a usb, or play over your local network using a NAS

Witterings

Cheers for the responses ... it's a Droidbox MX but was pretty clunky from new and I've hardly installed anything on it so it shouldn't have slowed it down.
I could never get it to talk to my WD Mycloud box so I think I'd probably rather go for something newer / more powerful that'll handle 4k as well.

I'm looking at the T95Q and am on the verge of hitting the buy now button, if it's HDMI out is there any advantage in running an optical cable as well?

Also any ideas on a reasonable small keyboard ... the one I have with my old box you have to be sitting near and in direct line of sight of the USB plug in for it to work so looking for something with a bit more range?

Thanks for the help so far ... much appreciated!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom