Question Android app updates

mjward

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Made the iOS to Android transition last year and all good so far apart from one thing...I have my apps grouped in folders yet when some apps are updated said app leaves the folder and is just updated to the home screen

Made the iOS to Android transition last year and all good so far apart from one thing...I have my apps grouped in folders yet when some apps are updated said app leaves the folder and is just updated to the home screen
Yeah that's kinda annoying.

Happens to me quite often, S7 Edge and most Android phones I've owned over the years. Annoying but never figured out why it happens

never had that happen to me ????
what phone you got
Has happened to me in HTC One, Nexus 5X and now Pixel.

Eg today I went to use eBay. App not there. But I kinda think that if you don't notice it's missing, your not using it anyway. So then when you stumble across it in app drawer you can uninstall it.

What launcher you using? Does that affect it?
Happens to me at times using nova on my s7

Stock OS and S7 edge. Absolute pain but can't find a Google solution for it

Stock OS and S7 edge. Absolute pain but can't find a Google solution for it
Just to add my personal experience, this does not happen with any of the Android Open Source Project phones I have/ have had, stays within folder. Just updated MBNA & Bank of Scotland apps to make sure, will see what the updates have broke within these apps later no doubt lol.

I use a one plus one and have never had this, Apps just update and thats it.o_O
could there be a setting somewhere ?

Sounds like it's either a Samsung or setting issue. Anyone with a Samsung where this doesn't happen?

Personally I don't like Samsung as a manufacturer but leaving that aside and having owned the S3 which built the companies profile I don't remember their TouchWiz U.I. doing this then, but I think that was even before KitKat 4.4 so maybe there weren't any "folders" back then? Honestly can't remember now.

Tried unchecking Google play store - settings - add icon to home screen ??

Stock OS for me.

My banking apps don't work on rooted phones
Sounds like a launcher issue. I've had Android phones for years and never experienced this. What launcher do you use? Have you tried any other ones? Nova Launcher is very good and very popular (a different launcher is not rooting the phone, so no concerns there)

Sounds like a launcher issue. I've had Android phones for years and never experienced this. What launcher do you use? Have you tried any other ones? Nova Launcher is very good and very popular (a different launcher is not rooting the phone, so no concerns there)
I think the O.P. said just stock launcher mate, so Touchwiz shenanigans maybe.

Hi

I have tried a different launcher years ago but it was too time consuming to tweak... And I'm a tweaker!! :) As for be the shortcut disappearing, as it's something I expect it wasn't a reason to stick with it.

I just put it down to an update that uninstalls the old version so loses the shortcut in Windows terms. So accepted it. Obviously that's just me making that up.

Oh..... Touchwiz....I remember those days on my S3
I know mate, c#*p is my more catchy reference to said U.I. lol, each to their own though.

Sadly unticking add icon to hom screen hasn't fixed it.

Bah annoying. Would have thought there would be a fix for such an obvious issue other than fiddling with a launcher

Launcher won't fix it. I'm on nova launcher and still apps leave the folder and appear in my app draw. Not all apps which puzzles me, there's no sense to it.

This has never happened to me on my Galaxy S7.

I have a Galaxy S7 Edge and I use Nova Launcher. This has never happened me, everything stays in its place when updating apps. Also never happened when I had TouchWiz either (before I realised I could change the launcher and have a much better UI!). There must be a setting somewhere, or its a bug. Strange that most aren't experiencing this but some are.

Funnily enough, the Ebay app updated itself yesterday, and it used to live on my homescreen.

After the update there was a blank space where it used to be and I had to place it back there from the apps screen.

Never done that before when updating any apps.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom