Android app scalability for tablet

CornishExile

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying an Android tablet but would appreciate advice from experienced users as to whether it would be worthwhile given my primary use cases, which are:

1. "shared" platform for apps potentially used by several household members (e.g. smart lights, Spotify) rather than those being tied to one 'phone, which may be out of the house at any given time

2. larger screen/keyboard so that my fat fingers stand a chance of typing without too many errors and so that my eyesight can actually spot those I do make

3. occasional web browsing e.g. search prompted by something on the TV

For (1) in particular I have been trawling around for information on how apps primarily designed for phones will scale to tablets (e.g. 10"+ screens). How are they rendered if the developer has not thought about UI scaling, or does the Play Store just not present such apps on the tablet platform at all?

I have been sceptical about tablets for a long time, but think I have now potentially found enough use cases to justify dipping my toe in the water, with a fairly low budget initially in case it ends up being used very little. This kind of rules out iPads!

If it helps, I am considering the new Nokia T21 or Samsung S6 Lite as I want as up to date a version of Android as possible given the limited software refresh programmes which seem to be de facto for Android tablets.

The Lenovo M10+ 3rd Gen was also in the frame, but I was rather deterred by this:

Many thanks on advance for any thoughts/suggestions to refine my thinking.......

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom