Andre Previn

Garrett

Just heard this on the news and I thought of the Morecambe and Wise Show, Mr Preview. I think probably the best sketch of the show, I think Eric gave him a good slap. Eric Im playing the right note but not nesaseraly in the right order. Good sport.:smashin:
I remember getting his conducting of Royal Philharmonic Orchestra The Planet CD £5.99 clearance at WH Smiths. when my dad record player scratched my LP of it from Mars to Jupiter, the largest scratch in the universe.
R.I.P. will stick the CD on ;)

Garrett

brian s

Distinguished Member
Very sad news. I do have one of his albums but it's Morecambe And Wise that I'll remember him most for.

RIP Mr Preview.

Garrett

WOW I did not know he did the music for My Fair Lady and Gigi and conducted an LP of mine with one of my top classical pieces on it Rollerball/Adagio by Albinoni

clip but music is longer, and the lady is Maud Adams

mikeybabes2

Distinguished Member
Andre Previn had quite a career, and I understand that whenever in London he had resigned himself to being called Mr Andrew Preview by the driver of every single London Black Cab he ever got into.

I don't know if it's just an urban legend, but I did hear that he once had to restart a performance of Grieg's Piano Concerto at the Royal Albert Hall due to the audience having a fit of the giggles after the opening few bars.

I do hope that's true....

Sonic67

Banned
He also reappeared on the series as a bus conductor.

The joke being that since his first appearance it was the only conducting job he could get now.

Garrett

He also reappeared on the series as a bus conductor.

The joke being that since his first appearance it was the only conducting job he could get now.
Just saw that on the opening of the hour long program I recorded last night on him.
Bus conductor.jpg

Garrett

Just heard he likes the Turangalila Symphony, to me it sound like Eric Morecambe wrote it or all his relations were playing in the orchestra. :laugh:

Sonic67

Banned
On the radio this morning it was talking about how, at the time, liking classical music was seen as "stuffy" or not for everyone, and he helped popularise it.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom