Andoid XBMC (Nexus 10) to USB DAC to analogue NAD amp - possible?

distraught

Standard Member
Hopefully my subject says it all!

I bought a Micro USB OTG adaptor/cable to connect my Nexus 10 to my Behringer UCA202 USB-DAC which in turn is connected to my NAD amp via phono plugs.
I want to play audio tracks in XBMC and hear them through the amp/speakers, but the sound still comes out of the tablet and not the speakers.
If I replace the tablet with my laptop and run XBMC then all is fine.
I can find no audio settings in XBMC (Android) to effect this, but I believe that the change must be made in Android somewhere. I've heard about the installation of new kernels in Android mentioned, but is there a definitive guide to achieve my aim anywhere?
In this day and age it's frustrating that this is a problem!
Thanks

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
I'm guessing here but i think the nexus may need to be routed for that to be achieved. That or audio is only available via its onboard speaker or the 3.5mm headphone socket.

distraught

Standard Member
I'm guessing here but i think the nexus may need to be routed for that to be achieved. That or audio is only available via its onboard speaker or the 3.5mm headphone socket.
OK thanks for your reply. I've connected a 3.5mm pin to 3.5mm pin lead to a 3.5mm pin to phono plugs adaptor, and the Behringer UCA202 USB-DAC has a phono plugs input so I can now listen to the dulcet tones of Paul Weller from XBMC! I still need to connect the DAC to my laptop for power, but hey ho. It definitely isn't the purists' route but it saves a lot of aggravation and it sounds fine in the background when I'm at my desk working from home.

larkone

If you are connecting via the headphone socket (which has already gone through a DAC in the Nexus to convert to analogue) then why do you need the UCA202 in the chain?

distraught

Standard Member
If you are connecting via the headphone socket (which has already gone through a DAC in the Nexus to convert to analogue) then why do you need the UCA202 in the chain?
I must admit I didn't realise the Nexus had an onboard DAC - my company gave it to me for development purposes. I've been switching between my connection and yours and there seems to be no difference in sound quality and volume etc, so using both offers greater flexibility. Cheers for that!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom