And you thought game prices were high today.....

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by spaceman763, Jan 9, 2010.

1. spaceman763

spaceman763

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Just found my Woolies receipt from December 1994 when I bought Donkey Kong Country for the SNES. Cannot believe it cost £49.99 :eek: back then. IIRC, my dad bought me the console from Tandy for £99.99 with Super Mario All Stars included.

Using the RP02 RPI and adjusting for inflation, this equates to £74.16 in today's money! :eek: And here I am complaining that £35 is too much to spend on a game!!

Regards

Attached Files:

2. cas398

cas398

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I remember getting Mortal Kombat (3 I think) for my birthday well over 10 year ago. £40 :suicide:

With discount vouchers, cashback, reward points etc we're getting better and bigger games for under £35 :thumbsup:

Online, HD graphics...

I'm certainly not complaining.

3. Haggler

Haggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    I have to note that there is a vast gulf between console titles and home computer titles and always has been, for example in the mid eighties you could pick up the average full price retail game for no more than £10, budget titles for a mere £1.99 - £2.99 on the most popular home computer platforms of the day, if you tried buying a nes console game for the same amount however i'd have said you'd have struggled. :rotfl:

This is still the case today, for the average game you could knock £10 off the price of a newly released console version (assuming it's a multi platform release) if you grab it on the pc instead. Obviously mr sony, microsoft or nintendo take a nice slice.

4. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    PC games are by far the easiest to pirate though and the DLC is just as easy to obtain for free. If you look at the top 40 games on Chart-Track in any particular week, it's dominated by console games so the price of PC games comes down to what the market will bear. The week ending Jan 2nd for example, by unit sales: -

360 - 17
    PS3 - 9
    Wii - 8
    DS - 5
    PC - 1

And the single PC game is Football Manager that's not available on consoles and that's at number 28. It's good news for legit PC game buyers, but the gaming market is totally dominated by consoles these days.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  5. SyStemDeMoN

SyStemDeMoN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Thats nothing, I remember paying £50 -£60 on a SNES game.

6. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    Console games always used to cost a small fortune due to them coming on carts. Now that games come on cheap discs they are vastly cheaper.

I used to pay £50-£60 for games on a regular basis during the Cart days. It made you more selective though and IMO helped keep quality up. You wouldn't splash out £60 on a game unless it was amazing where as now you can pick most games up for around £20 not long after launch so people are more likely to give the average games a bash at that price. Obviously you will still sell more and at a higher price if the game is good, but average games will still shift copies these days after a price drop.

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    If you look at the worldwide top 10 for last week then it really does show Nintendo's dominance at the moment :-

Wii- 6 games
    DS - 2 games
    360 - 1 game
    PS3 - 1 game

in the worldwide top 20 we have :-

Wii - 8 games
    DS - 5 games
    PS3 - 4 games
    360 - 3 games

8. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    No PC games though! And your numbers reek of VGChartz, which isn't a good source, assuming that's what you used. GfK Chart-Track provides accurate data for the UK weekly, but for the rest of Europe they don't release that info regularly. NPD provides monthly data for North America only and Media Create provide weekly data for Japan. It seems more like you wanted to try and get the 360 off the top of the list than address the point I was making - that PC game sales suck. Even your list (as poor as the source may be) shows that though.

9. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    VG Chartz is actually pretty good at looking at global sales, it's just fashionable to say it isn't on forums at times when it doesn't back up what someone wants it to :). At the end of the day, we're just taking stats though and you can always make stats show what you want them to.

A large percentage of PC games are via digital distribution which lists like the one you posted do not take into account (and are therefore not really accurate). Steam, EA Store, Direct to Drive etc. provide a lot of sales for PC gamers and yes Piracy is also rife amongst PC gamers so whilst it's a very popular format, sadly a large percentage of people don't pay for their games.

The 360 & PS3 sell pretty much the same level of games around the world give or take, but the 360 is a more popular console in our country still. The gap between console sales has reduced by around half though, from around 10 million at launch to around 5.5 million now with the 360 on around 37 million and the PS3 on around 31.5 million.

At the end of the day though, like Haggler said, there's always been a gulf between Console & Computer game prices, however that gulf has reduced since the demise of cartridges. Sure console games are still generally more (due to console licensing) but the gap is not more £5-£10, not £30 - £40 as in the past.

10. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    Read VGChartz's methodology. It's not accurate. On occasion they have been greater than 100% wrong with monthly sales figures and have adjusted their figures when NPD release theirs, for example.

The 360 has sold 39 million. MS announced the figures at CES. I don't particularly care which console sells the most as long as both continue to receive support from game developers, but for Sony to go from absolute domination to still having to play catch up, even though they're still selling their console at a loss, isn't exactly their finest achievement (or should I say trophy :D).

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  11. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,495
    Strider on import cost me £79.99 on the megadrive. It was worth it though, its still one of my fav arcade games. :)

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    Agreed, but i'm very glad that Sony are no longer in a position of domination. I'm still bitter that their propaganda saw people ignore the superb Dreamcast and therefore saw Sega leave the console hardware industry :mad:. That said, they won the HD war with a big slice of help from the PS3 and I think they would have taken that at the start of this generation.

This really isn't on topic at all with regard to the subject of games prices though, so whilst it's fairly interesting it's probably best left for another thread.

13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    Agreed, still have that Japanese game in my collection. A great title indeed :thumbsup:.

14. Haggler

Haggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    I'd be the first to admit back in the N64 vs playstation era i didn't mind paying a little bit more for N64 games mainly for two reasons.

1) On average N64 titles were superior to the ps1 games, sure the ps1 had many more of them and some real quality titles but there were tons of rubbish ones too, if it said Rare or nintendo on the box it pretty much was a guaranteed classic.

2) I always felt i was being cheated with a ps cd game, carts were much more expensive as a storage medium and therefore i felt like i was getting something (albeit only additional plastic and maybe a battery backup) for my money. :D

Surprisingly back in the Snes/Megadrive vs Amiga days i didn't think the same way, apart from the odd exclusive titles by nintendo, rare and the enix rpg's on snes and sega's own arcade conversions on the md i felt ripped off by the ridiculous prices of cartridges vs amiga floppies when most of the time the amiga versions were far superior, pinball dreams/flashback etc.

15. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    Fully agree with your earlier points as the N64 games were usually of a very high standard and you also had the benefit of instantly loading games. :)

I didn't feel the same as you with regard to MD/SNES games though as for me the hardware driven spites had a great arcade feel to them, compared to those in Amiga/ST games, which were often poor immitations by the likes of US Gold, Ocean etc.

16. Haggler

Haggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    I agree with regard to some stuff, golden axe, ghouls and ghosts etc were far superior on md than amiga (though snes super ghouls and ghosts is the best version imo), however pinball dreams and flashback etc were better on amiga. Maybe it's like everything else and they were better on the system they were developed for and ported across poorly? however there's no denying the fact that the amiga version of any of the said games could be had for about half the price of it's console counterpart.

17. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    Most people didn't even bother paying for their Amiga games to be honest so the price was fairly irrelevant. They were cheaper though and I remember that most full price games were around £20-£25 a pop.

I had an Amiga, Megadrive and SNES and therefore had the best of all worlds really. The Amiga had some great original games (Kick Off 2, Sensi, Lemmings, Speedball 2, Stunt Car Racer, F1GP, Flashback, Civilisation, Sim City, Pinball (Dreams, Fantasies, Illusions etc.), Syndicate, North & South...I could go on and on really) but most arcade conversions were passable to rubbish (with a few exceptions).

The custom graphics chips in the Megadrive made it very adapt at chucking big sprites around in an arcade manner (The Megadrive could hardware process 80 sprites (via it's VDP) on screen at once, where as the Amiga could only hardware process 8 (Via the Denise chip)). Games like Outrun, Afterburner, Golden Axe, Strider, Ghouls n' Ghosts, Super Monaco GP, Super Hang On, Tatsujin, Hellfire, Crackdown, Rolling Thunder 2, Space Harrier 2, StreetFighter 2 really brought the Arcade home.

The Megadrive was really the machine that brought arcade quality games to the masses at home and as a child who (like many) dreamed of owning an arcade machine in the 80's, this console helped to make that dream come true in many respects.

18. Haggler

Haggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    I owned all three machines too, grabbing an A500, jap md, uk md, followed by the megacd addon which was absolute crap tbo, then a uk snes, A500+ followed by an A1200 which i upgraded by adding an internal pc hd.

At one time i had about 6 snes consoles in the house as i found it cheaper to buy them second hand with bundled games and pick out the best/worth most ones, selling the consoles and games i already owned on for very little loss or part exchanging the games i knew were worth most for new releases i really wanted, this was a brainwave particularly around xmas time and allowed me to build up a massive collection really cheaply.

Which in turn would mean joe average would settle for a slightly inferior arcade conversion by the likes of elite, the md exclusives were what it was best at imo streets of rage 1 and 2 and toaplan seup's hellfire, zerowing etc were class but really expensive, even the snes had a floppy based backup system although i myself never owned one.

Like the op i purchased the original dkc1 on snes for a similar price :eek: though it looked fantastic compared to the md and amiga stuff of the day, the one disappointment of the game was it wasn't a massive experience, something that was fixed with the release of it's two sequels which were amongst the finest games ever created imo and graphically something that the md and even amiga (if what was released should be compared) were not capable of in a platform game.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  19. SparkShot

SparkShot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +518
    I can remember my mate buying the japanese import version of super street fighter 2 for snes for £110 from the gaming stall on northampton market.

Actually i think the game was £100 but he had to pay an extra tenner for the cartidge adaptor.

In comparison i bought street fighter 4 for pc for £7.49 in the steam sales over xmas.

20. Snake79

Snake79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I agree that games have become cheaper to buy on consoles. Virtua Racing on the MD was about £70 because of the SVP chip built into the cartridge. To play Virtua Racing on a home console back then was quite an achievement, even if it was considerably scaled down from the arcade original. I'd love to get the saturn version to see how it compares.

I remember Earthworm Jim costing about £50 and Super Street Fighter 2 was £60 because it was a 32meg cart which was huge for the MD.

Imported Saturn games were also hugely expensive. Unlike in Europe where the Saturn failed, in Japan it was quite successful and as a result many more games were released that never saw the light of day here. I remember some of the hardcore shm-ups, the original Dead or Alive and Street Fighter vs. X-men with 4Mb ram cart ranging from £60-80.

Lets not forget the Neo-Geo, most games started at £80 and some were considerably higher.

21. cas398

cas398

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    What I also find amazing is how you can now download Earthworm Jim, Strider etc for free and emulate them on a portable device, disregarding the legalities.

22. lord-dudester

lord-dudester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    i can remember paying some shocking prices for a few imports back in the day - long before the internet made it easy, getting your hands on decent import titles, months before UK release came with a massive premium at the few stores that did them... i remember my willingness to pay right through the nose for them really getting to my mates though. i was always the first to have the game much to their envy

there was always just something so irresistible of the new must have title i'd spent so long drooling over in the magazines that just suckered me in - no matter the cost ! im sure a few of you late and mid 30 something gamers reading know what i mean. especially when the UK release was 6-12 months later sometimes

when mario kart 64 first arrived in the UK a few days after the jap release i paid £120 for it from CEX (back when they only had one store off oxford st) i travelled miles in to london on the train to get it and got home and they'd put the wrong cartridge in the box !!! i remember being so gutted, and i went all the way back there the next day (2x80 miles round trip on the train) to change it. shame i cant remember what i paid for the import N64 though, although im sure i could of bought a new car for similar money

for the saturn, once again a day or so after it first came out in japan (paid £650 for the jap saturn with a step down transformer the size of a small house) and i bought clockwork knight for £90 and virtua fighter for £95, then i bought an extra controller for £75

as sparkshot above i paid £100 ish for super street fighter 2 for the SNES. US i think - worth every last penny though

i think i paid about 600'ish for a jap import playstation (1) when it first came out too

oh to be young and have a lack of financial responsibility !!!

23. Amph

Amph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,867
    Awesome game! I remember seeing it on my mates Megadrive and thinking "I have got to get that!". Such a beautiful game to look at too (in a industrial/electronic kind of way?).

Think most I paid was around £70 for Secret of Mana import on SNES.

24. BradleyLove

BradleyLove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I paid £80 for an import version of Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1). Also spent £60 on Chrono Cross, £60 on Einhander and £80 on Xenogears.

Think this was about late 1998.

I've always said that the current price of gaming (let's say £40) for a minimum 10 hours of entertainment is great value for money (£4 per hour) when compared to buying blu-ray, going the pub, going the cinema and other such leisure activities.

25. Haggler

Haggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Played all of those myself too amongst many others, parasite eve 1 & 2, saga frontier 1 & 2, Brave fencer musashii, legend of mana, threads of fate etc, i used to import anything square knocked out back then for ridiculous prices, final fantasy tactics in particular was a superb game though and one which was superb value for money i played through the thing 3 or 4 times and the wizard spells at the top levels looked amazing!

26. _dark_blu

_dark_blu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112

I remember the stall on Northampton market, they were there for a good few years, also had a small retail unit along the side of the square. I used to sell a lot of SNES games to them (got quite good prices too) although they were often suspicious as to where I sourced them as I kept them all in new condition (the crappy boxes were a bastard to keep undamaged).

I think I paid in the region of £79 for SSFII + about £12 for one of the clunky adaptors, all through a classified ad in a games magazine. This was the one and only import title I ever bought (complete SF junkie back then). :smashin:

27. Stinaris

Stinaris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You didn't get one of the first few then as they were £1300 but you did get a voltage convertor and Ridge Racer free!

And boy was it a stunning thing to see as the Saturn hadn't been released in the UK at the time and the only comparable console was the Atari Jaguar (Tempest 2000 is still awesome) which to be honest had unbelievably s#it games on it.

And people complained the PS3 60GB was expensive when it was first released. Oh how I laughed.

28. SteveG

SteveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Games today are cheap. In 1981 I paid £35 each for the really quite rubbish Outlaw and Video Olympics for the Atari 2600, but the icing on this overpriced sponge cake was Indy 500 for £55 as it came with the "driving" controller (really just a paddle with a different sticker on). :D

29. Apsilon

Apsilon
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,613
    Yeah, I remember paying over a grand for my PS1 with Ridge Racer, Motor Toon GP and Cyber Sled I think it was. Silly money but my cousin was working over in Japan at the time and managed to bag one on release day for me. Fabulous machine which really started to push the boundaries of having arcade perfect games in the home.

I remember buying the JAP MD as well from a game shop in stockport in about 1990. It cost me £280 with Sonic and I think Thunderforce 2.

My Jap SNES I had bought for my 21st birthday (instead of a party, lol) at a cost of £750 with Mario, Mario Kart, Ghouls and Ghosts, Gradius, and a couple of others I can’t remember. I remember paying £90 for Actraiser and over £100 for Zelda back in the day though. SF I seem to remember cost about £80 as well. My favourite console of all though.

Most expensive purchase for a game though was Darius Alpha on the PC-Engine. It cost me £350 about 10 years ago and it’s not even that good. Simpy a boss after boss tournament game. I was a bit silly in those days though and squandered a ludicrous amount of money on games, especially ones that were hard to come by like DA.

30. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    Virtua Racing on the megadrive was a bout £80-£90 when it came out in the UK.
    one of the dearest games i bought, thats for sure..