1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And what's the best 50ish inch plasma around?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by laalves, Mar 15, 2005.

1. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes, which one is it?

I'm looking for:

- 50-55 inches;

- The best image quality;

- Durability and reliability;

- No need for TV tuner (I'm considering the Kiss 558, no digital TV in Portugal, just analogue cable);

- DVI or RGsB input, since I have a TAG McLaren DV32FLR with progressive scan module that outputs both ways, so the screen doesn't even need an internal deinterlacer;

- Preferrably no speakers and possibility to wallmount;

- Preferrably, plain looking. I did like the Hitachi 55PMA550E, for 9500€.

What do you all have to say? My budget may go up to 10,000 € i.e., about 7000£.

Your comments are greatly appreciated, since I know nothing of plasmas and am starting to look for one now!

Luis

2. sdk

sdk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The fujitsu 50inch 40 series is supose to be amasing, and i will be getting it. 4500-5000 is what i heard on prices.

3. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I echo sdk. It looks as though you are happy with the above average price (about £5000) in which case I fully expect it to be the best panel on the market. i have ordered one, this week. It meets all your needs, exactly, though it has an HDCP compatible hdmi socket instead of a DVi socket. A simple, small, inexpensive converter plug will take care of that.

4. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally have never been bowled over by any Fujitsu screen, and think they are overrated to say the least, so do consider other options too...

A 50" panel from Nec, Pioneer and Panasonic, and the 55" Hitachi would be the other contenders...with your budget you could and should add an external scaler - with this in place, any of the above four would be good and you would choose down to preference of style of picture really

i had a lengthy demo of the Panasonic and Hitachi over the weekend (in separate shops, but both with DVD and dedicated Sky satellite) - and I was surprised at how good that Hitachi is - it is definitely in the same league as the other screens, if not even better..

one thing this forum doesn't acknowledge much is the very poor brightness and white level of the Panasonic panels (as used in the 50" fujitsu too)...it definitely could be a turn-off for some people, and maybe worth waiting for the 8 series panels to see if theyve managed to alleviate the problem...

5. sdk

sdk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on any of the other fujitsu i would agree, but the 40 series is suppose to be " miles " ahead of the earlier models. I have not seen it myself, but on the avsforum i have yet to read i a negitive remark about it.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Interesting the Hitachi plasma are the Fujitsus the 50" Fujitsu 40 series is panny glass and Fujitsu electronics a killer combination, the best large plasma i have seen (over 50") has to be the 63" Fujitsu!!!! (on a panel this big and good scaler and ISF calibrations are a must.......i would suggest you look at 50" Pioneer and Fujitsu (40 series), Lumagen HDP/DVi, DVDO Iscan HD+ scalers and have it all calibrated....(oh and look at Hidef sat for TV)

7. cajieboy

cajieboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I definitely agree. You should certainly demo BOTH the Pro Pioneer 50"er & Fujitsu P50/40. To my eyes, these are the top dogs at this time and you won't go wrong w/either. My preference leans towards the Fuji P50/40, mainly for their edge in blacks. Yes, you can definitely watch the new P50/40 in the daytime w/a fully lighted room. Amazing panel.

8. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks to all, your useful comments :thumbsup: . I will definitely chase the relevant dealers for demos of these screens in a couple of months time, after my moving to a new, bigger home (to go with the plasma....)

Anyway, what I have as DVD source is a TAG DV32FLR with the progressive scan option fitted. This will allow DVI or RGsB or component de-interlaced outputs, as well as input from other interlaced sources (such as what I plan to get, a Kiss 558 HD/DVD recorder/analog TV tuner). Given the quality de-interlacer involved, do you mates here believe that, for a high quality 50/55in plasma of the types discussed a scaler is worth chasing and viewing/demoing :lease: ?

Further, are there any high quality scalers-only (no de-interlacing capability), capable of accepting the referred sort of already de-interlaced inputs?

I would hate throwing money into a complete video processor to use only half of it :suicide: .... when it comes to my money, I hate superfluous.... :nono:

Luis

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello laalves

Lots to cover:

01. Your PSM module is not a scaling engine its a Deinterlacer and being honest its not that special; the Deinterlacer in a Pioneer or Panasonic display is pretty much on a par with the PSM module.

02. Pretty much every Display has to include a Deinterlacer as they are in the main Progressive arrays and other than the Fujitsu/Hitachi ALIS products cant 'display' an Interlaced signal.

03. Crystalio, DVDO, Lumagen will all blow away your PSM module for functionality, connectivity, programmability and image processing - budget from just under 1000.00 GBP for a very decent quality video processor.

04. Plasma Display - there's no way I'd now spend 7K GBP on a 55" Display; you could have a more than decent 50" Panasonic or Pioneer Display + Video Processor + DLP projector and 6' screen for that money.

Best regards

Joe

10. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Joe Fernand,

Yes, I know the PSM is not a scaler just a de-interlacer, hence the question if there were any scalers-only out there.

Anyway, I now know what I should do: test-view the aforementioned Pioneer, Panasonic, Hitachi and Fujitsu plasma models as well as one of the Lumagen scalers/deinterlacers/video processors.

This forum has again proved its worth saving some time in the decision of which direction to take, thanks all! :clap: :clap: :clap: :smashin: :smashin:

Luis :devil:

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello laalves

I'd ditch the PSM :) far better to add in the external video processor and use that to Deinterlace all of your source signals; the power to Switch, Process and Deinterlace a range of sources via the external box is way ahead of what the PSM can achieve.

Best regards.

Joe

12. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well, combined with my AV32R and featurewise (not talking qualitywise, I have no experience there) that is not correct. The PSM has a S-VHS input to accept what the AV32R sends in, and the AV32R will switch the PSM's own component/DVI output between DVD and its own output feed to the PSM. Since I have only two video sources (analog cable TV and DVD) it's pretty adequate; again featurewise strictly speaking.

Luis

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello Luis

As you say you have a limited range of Input sockets on your PSM equipped player - though not 2 x Composite, 2 x S-Video, 2 x YUV/RGB plus DVI and or HDMI as you do on the majority of external processors.

I'm sure your Analogue cable box will have an RGB Output - potentially better than its S-Video Output! I guess you cant currently use that with the PSM!

How do you adjust over scan on your inputs? Can you adjust Film/Video bias when Deinterlacing source material originated on Video? Can you make Per Input adjustments to colour, contrast etc lots of very useful features found in a Lumagen or similar.

The PSM192 is not bad its just not the best option you can consider and I'd not limit my choice of Video Processor just because I already have the PSM installed - better to get a full feature Processor and possibly sell the PSM to part fund the external box.

Best regards

Joe

14. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    No cable box at all, I connect directly: outlet to the TV, at the moment. Out of convenience, I plan on getting a Kiss 558 as a TV tuner/DVD + HD recorder combo. Maybe it has better than S-video, dunno really.

And yes I'm sure a recent external dedicated and quality processor is better than a 2001 vintage progressive-scan-only module.

Do you know if the PSM can be easily removed? I'm not particularly sure.....

Luis