1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And the worst thing about SS 3.1 is...

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by marooned, Jun 7, 2005.

1. marooned

marooned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet. The fact that if you use a third party tagging utility to change/edit/update tags. The changes aren't reflected in SS. Absolutely frustrating because you have no idea if the changes have taken effect. Obviously the files are fine if transferred to the player. It would just be nice if they showed up in MY LIBRARY. Btw, F5 to refresh doesn't help nor does rebooting the computer.

2. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Why not just do it within SS?

Or if it SUCH a problem then remove them and reimport them...I really can't see the point though!

3. marooned

marooned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I would do it with SS but the tagging utility I use is much more versatile. SS tends to destroy tags ie. the comment fields as well. And as far as re-importing, yeah that's a lot of fun with a 40gb library.

4. timboking

timboking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is utter crap really, to be honest, I wouldn't buy a sony again just because of sonic stage. Moving music is such a chore, as is the renaming. It just doesnt work very well, especially if you try to rename a whole group.

5. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since SonicStage is doing so much damage to Sony why don't they buy the rights to use iTunes as well from Apple or do you reckon Apple will be unwilling to sell the rights?

Or they just need to sack the whole lazy team on SonicStage - I agree - I love Sony (normally) but SonicStage has many a time made my flatmates wonder if I had an unsuspecting case of Tourett's Syndrome... I've just never got so angry and sworn so much at an inanimate object... but I have to put up with it if I want my little HD5...

6. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont really have this problem i hate ss so damn much that i updated all my tags put em into ss once to transfer em then took em all off again, i only put albums in one or 2 at a time as i get new ones its far simpler.

7. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,278
    ...sony

or

...everything

8. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,230
    I think Sony have a "diff" method to tag songs. Example:

iTunes: go to directory where music is, music are sorted into folders by Artist.
    SS: in directory, music is sorted into albums!

although the iTunes thing above may be to do with Apples DRM, and self-interests to stop piracy?

9. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can somebody explain to me why a big percentage of the tracks on my HD5, which were supposed to be converted to Atrac 132kbps still shows up on my player as MP3's? I've checked my boxes and it is all ticked for it to convert the files, yet loads are not converted - really frustrating!! Please and thank you...

10. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,278
    How long does it take to send across because if its taking time chances are they are probably ATRAC.

11. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i found the trasfer and change file type tool was rubbish in ss and only works on about half my files!

12. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that is it - I have exactely the same issue watchinthewheel - anyway, I sent another email to Sony complaining about it - here it is:

Dear Sir/Madam

I recently bought myself a NW-HD5, an upgrade I thought, after owning a Vaio Pocket for the last six months. I don't think I could have been more wrong.

I am impressed with the design of the unit, I like the look of it and the battery life impressed me - but why, oh why did you have to change the group layout previously used in minidisc players and my vaio pocket? I have a lot of tracks in which the artist or album fields are blank - they fitted neatly in any group that I created. With this change I now have to painstakingly rename 2000+ tracks, and sit and edit playlists as before I could just drag and drop the group. I simply CANT understand how the current system can be better. I surely hope you get enough complaints to release a firmware upgrade that will replace this non-workable, elaborate system with the previously proven way.

My other HUGE headache is with SonicStage. As you know, SonicStage receives alot of critism, and rightly so - I believe SS 3.1 is far worse than SS 2.1 - let me tell you what my problem is.

Sony wants me to use Atrac. It is clear that people are bullied into using Sony's own compression technology as you cannot use the equalizer settings on the player, nor can you play tracks back directly from the player when open in SonicStage if your files are in mp3 format. I like Atrac because it allows for better compression - however SonicStage won't have any of it and it is simply only converting a percentage of the files to Atrac and leaving a quarter or so in native mp3 format? WHY? I have been on the phone explaining my situation and I am yet to receive a phonecall back even though one was promised.

This problem first surfaced with the SonicStage 2.3 upgrade. What happened to the days SonicStage would happily convert to Atrac 132kbps as you transfer, as it did with my Mz-nh1 HD minidisc player?

You have over 20 years of experience in the personal audio market and nearly 10 with minidiscs - why could you not incorporate that technology into your HDD players? Why am I forced to use the Atrac format but SonicStage will not co-operate?

I urge you to release SonicStage 3.2 with the above problems addressed as soon as possible as I have been telling people to avoid the HD5 because of the difficulties with the software. This is a sharp contrast to the view I had while I owned the vaio pocket and in fact convinced friends to purchase the unit instead of an iPod.

I will be looking forward to your reply.

Yours Sincerely
    Johann Fourie

13. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ha ha, I sincerely hope they don't! Do you think it's fair (on Sony and the rest of us), johann, to ask them to change the way the HD5 works just becasue your tracks have no tag information in them?

The system on the HD5 is straightforward, obvious and very very workable. I'm almost tempted to write them a counter email "Dear Sony, please ignore Mr. Fourie's email, everything is okay, honest (apart from cracking buttons and the odd crash)". Please take this with the good natured humour with which it's intended, but that's really funny!

Sorry you're having troubles though, hope you get to the bottom of it. I'm sure once you've filled in all of your tracks you'll wonder what you were worrying about, the file system on the HD5 really is good.

14. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe - well, sorry - I didn't mean to come across as selfish however, as a Sony personal audio owner for the last 3 years I have become used to the groups function and am sad to see it gone - also Hrochnick, by adding the group feature they would not be taking anything away from the HD5 - simply ADDING another function - now how can you HONESTLY complain about that, heh?? :)

So what I am really hoping is for them to release a firmware upgrade that will have the groups setting back, as an OPTIONAL extra for people who prefer the old system - the layout of the HD5 and it's interface should in no way be compromised - don't you think that would be great? Oh and of course - a bloody SonicStage that actually WORKS would be received quite well...

I don't understand why Sony doesn't realise that while they insist on this cack software being used, they will NEVER make up ground lost to other personal player companies. Listen up Sony - let me offer you a very easy solution that will bag you loads of money. 1) Create a file conversion program THAT WORKS so that people can use Atrac if they want. 2) Create an add on for Windows Explorer that will wrap the tracks and allow for drag and drop to the device.

If you wanna fill out all your tags, the HD5 will be used in exactely the same manner as it is right now, however - you can put them in dedicated groups too - if that is what you prefer...

Do you reckon it is that a bad a plan then, huh??? :) :) :)

15. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,230
    and Sony could have bought Apple "on the cheap" all those years ago..... :D